When will HSC be done on the computer? (1 Viewer)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Remember doing the ESSA exam in year 9 on the computer? What did you think of that, people could of opened a new tab and cheated? What do you think the chances of having the HSC in the future are? Opinions plz

xNoLiMiTz

HSC
If it was on computer e.g. English Exam and if i had memorized my essays and knew what to write i would finish my writing within 15mins. My WPM is 120 :)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Haha true, but BOS may consider it, pen and paper is getting old, time for change.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
I have better ideas when I type, because it's much easier and I don't really focus on what I'm doing.

Writing, I have to ensure neatness and legibility.

xNoLiMiTz

HSC
They believe HSC students will cheat due to use of computer technology but i'm pretty sure an application could be developed where you can't exit the HSC exam therefore you can't cheat. Also you can only see questions from that test just like an RTA Driver Test Online is a good idea.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
They believe HSC students will cheat due to use of computer technology but i'm pretty sure an application could be developed where you can't exit the HSC exam therefore you can't cheat. Also you can only see questions from that test just like an RTA Driver Test Online is a good idea.
If they code it properly, and it's a single app which can't be edited, it will be hard to cheat. Obviously teachers can monitor the room too, just like someone could cheat in the paper exam with notes...

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Especially for English, most students hands fall off after writing for so long, typing would be great.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It won't happen as it would be unfair on those who type slow. They also don't want to spend the extra money it will take to mark the longer essays people will write.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
but legibility and writing size will be resolved so people that tend to write larger or smaller than others, the problem will be resolved, but soloooooo your right.

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
Man I agree with everyone, my WPM is 130, I'd be finished so quickly. And I also find it easier to do essays on the computer.

It won't happen as it would be unfair on those who type slow. They also don't want to spend the extra money it will take to mark the longer essays people will write.
This is so true.

So my guess is that the HSC will not be done on the computer for at least another 6 years.

zephyrus

HSC
I tend to have a mental blank whenever I do essays on the computer, so pen and paper is a must for me.

If they do make the switch, maybe a test in the form of a program rather than a webpage would be a lot better (otherwise, we have people opening tabs to look up stuff lol)

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Probably at around 2030.

Won't happen until typing is commonplace within schools as a form of notetaking.

Arguably everyone can write but not everyone can type.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Probably at around 2030.

Won't happen until typing is commonplace within schools as a form of notetaking.

Arguably everyone can write but not everyone can type.
This.

I'd be surprised if it happens in our lives.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
You could say writing was unfair for those who write slower!! I know those who prefer typing to writing.
Yeah, but the difference between a slow writer and a fast writer is infinitesimal, writing styles range from 15 - 30 words per minute, to stay safe. Someone could type a paragraph, and the person is still looking for the key on the keyboard to finish their first word. At least writing is proportionately comparable.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The first time I heard of the idea of the HSC being done on computers was when I was at uni in the 1970s. I don't expect it to happen in my teaching career and that doesn't have that many years left to run.

Mind you I was also told that we would be teaching classes of 60 - 80 students with the teacher sitting at one computer and each of the students all with their own computers doing different work at their own pace while I was able to teach each one and we aren't there - yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)