Where do you stand? (2 Viewers)

Where do you stand?

• Total voters

Generator

HSC
N/A
Hmmm... Gross generalisations ahoy!

In a social sense, I'm still much like other secular liberals in that I'm against the church as an anachronistic institution of social control (I'm all for progressive ministers/priests/nuns who exist solely to help anyone in need without moralising), but it seems as though I break off from the pack when it comes to minority religions here in Australia. This is a common argument of the right (not necessarily the christian right), but it seems as though a number of lefties are prepared to be rather forgiving whn it comes to relgions other than christianity, despite the fact that such religious frameworks are just as likely to be as corrupt and open to abuse as the christian churches. I'm not like that, and I'm quite happy to provide criticism whenever I deem it to be appropriate, no matter the religious (or lack thereof) framework.

On another note, I too will be leaving soon. I'm getting too old for this site as a whole (apart from the USyd forum), and I really don't feel like 'debating' the issues with the latest crop of forum members. For the record, I decided to not post the lengthy paragraph that followed this one because there isn't much to be gained by inciting a near e-riot as a result of flinging muck at a number of the newer members. However, I may do that just before I leave for good, so stay tuned! :)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
or the record, I decided to not post the lengthy paragraph that followed this one because there isn't much to be gained by inciting a near e-riot as a result of flinging muck at a number of the newer members. However, I may do that just before I leave for good, so stay tuned!
Please be flanders, Please be flanders, Please be flanders...

On another note, I too will be leaving soon.
The end of BOS forever :(

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Anti-Mathmite said:
Yes, but you're giving the land back to "them"..? On the whole, they are a pretty unsavoury bunch.
Mathmite, honestly.

Do you say these things to people in real life?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
loquasagacious said:
Moonlight you do know that they have the internet in Korea don't you? It's actually even much much faster than ours....
I was just kidding.. I'm not moving to Korea :p
erawamai said:
However constant leftism can be nauseating. Even for someone like me on the bleedying heart compassionate side. I've being much more central however over the last year of my arts...while other have continued to drift to the left.
The law faculty held you at bay heh

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
erawamai said:
Certainly conservative heros like Menzies who has values like you certainly didn't like modern market economies.
On a related note, Menzies may have been more progressive than people believe. Certainly Fraser seems to think so anyway.

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
So if I were to base 'white' Australians purely from Macquarie Fields riots, they would be seen as uneducated barbaric anarchists with no respect for authority?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Generator just post it, an e-riot would be nice, clear the air and maybe NCAP of some new members....

This thread though is reminding me of the good old days, *sheds a tear (in a patriotic and manly way)*

Does anyone have any thoeries as to why things have gone downhill in NCAP?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Our perspectives have become much closer and our respect for one anothers views has increased. There are few new people comming in that are participating and presenting radically different perspectives.

Maybe it's partially our fault

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
I personally believe the lack of an authority figure or figures that put new members in their place is the reason they keep coming back. Previously there would be heavy discussion with advanced articles not easily digested by newer members so it would seem those that debated in these forums had more formulated opinions. Currently as it stands the older members of this sub forum can't be bothered arguing with what they perceive as idiots.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This thread though is reminding me of the good old days, *sheds a tear (in a patriotic and manly way)*

Well at least its not the spam invested place it used to be. One hopes that dosent change on moonlight's departure.
I would agree with the theory that most of the old blood of this forum have either left, or reduced their presence.
Hopefully we see some new faces in here soon.

Offtopic: AM, why are there thousands of remnants of your deleted posts everywhere? You seem to post then delete straight away :p

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
Rafy said:
Offtopic: AM, why are there thousands of remnants of your deleted posts everywhere? You seem to post then delete straight away :p
Guilty conscience? Incriminating evidence :p

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes this thread is rather good actually.

Mathmite:

Why do they live in slums? Because they are lazy dole bludgers right? Never mind the fact that their entire foundation of wealth from which any sort of leverage in society might be had was taken from them. They occupy a void in Australian society and because of what occupants of this country did they are now second-class citizens. Not to mention the destruction of their culture and the stealing of their children!

I'm sure if some black invaders came and murdered lots of our people, told you that from now on, all our silly laws and religions were void, our kids were to be taken away from us to live in places that the new occupants consider to be properly civilised and our race was to be bred out, that our land was now theirs, that they were now the rulers of this country and that we would be treated with disdain and prejudice with no social standing and no wealth for the next 200-300 years, you wouldn't be too happy.

Last edited:

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
Moonlight, that would assume that he has the imagination to place himself in other's shoes. This is an ability I believe he does not possess. :D

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Not-That-Bright said:
Our perspectives have become much closer and our respect for one anothers views has increased. There are few new people comming in that are participating and presenting radically different perspectives.

Maybe it's partially our fault

Thats true. Most of the best debates in this place have occured when 1 or 2 members present something radically different from the majority opinion. Those situations turn into the most insightful and charged discussions.

However most of the time most of us are arguing the same thing, and well its not much of a debate if we are all saying the same thing.

unfortunate.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
loquasagacious said:
- Ppl don't have the time anymore (uni, hsc etc)

- Ppl leaving BOS. Looks as though a lot of uni students that post here have left or are leaving. Also points to group behaviour in a way i.e when u have regulars (who you reply to) leave, you end up leaving as well.

- Repitition of similar threads and arguments. It makes you feel like you're hitting you head against a brick wall.

- Quality/expression of what's being posted i.e illogical statements, poor grammer,

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Because the "last edited by Anti-Mathmite on the 24th of August at 4:30 PM" infringes my obsessive compulsive disorder, so if i have to edit a post more than twice i delete it and re-post... So it's... CLEAN :)

But it's only on my posts. Other people can be dirty if they want.
You know mods can see all of your posts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)