Where does one purchase ties? (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
why the fuck do you guys wear ties anyways
Because it is expected for the work we do/organisations we work in/seniority in organisations...

@OP places to buy ties: Tierack, wherever you buy your suits, Myer, DJs, Country Road, Hugo Boss, etc.

Note that lots of places are on sale/going on sale shortly to clear last seasons stock. Fortunately you are a man therefore the difference between last season and this season styles is minimal so bargains can be had.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Because it is expected for the work we do/organisations we work in/seniority in organisations...
But you (and maybe waf?) are almost certainly the only people in this thread with proper jobs where people would actually give a shit and be able to tell the difference between a Lowes tie and X.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
But you (and maybe waf?) are almost certainly the only people in this thread with proper jobs where people would actually give a shit and be able to tell the difference between a Lowes tie and X.
I'd argue that any job where you're required to wear a tie would know the difference, and the price difference is in my experience $25-30ish for polyester or $40-50 for silk, so there's no real reason to go the former.

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
i wear ties to meetings :(

but not usually cos i also wear boots

cos im a real engineer not like these softwaer pansies

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
I don't know, last time i bought a tie i wandered the entire cbd and found that anything with a non-discounted price below the 80-100 mark was pretty fucking ugly. And if you don't have to impress work colleagues with your tie selection, you're probably at a social event, and women have a very discerning eye for what's shit and what isn't.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I don't know, last time i bought a tie i wandered the entire cbd and found that anything with a non-discounted price below the 80-100 mark was pretty fucking ugly. And if you don't have to impress work colleagues with your tie selection, you're probably at a social event, and women have a very discerning eye for what's shit and what isn't.
Fuck that, You can get plenty of decent ties for less than that. If you don't give a shit about the brand especially. I have a pure silk tie that I got from DJs for like $40, and it looks better than the Pierre Cardin one I have (that I found at work) that is polyester as well. Shit, if all else fails just get a plain navy/black tie.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
And if you don't have to impress work colleagues with your tie selection, you're probably at a social event, and women have a very discerning eye for what's shit and what isn't.

yeah, this.
guys... fluoro green/pink/silver satin ties are gross. don't do it. ever.

otherwise as long as it's a simple tie, i've seen plenty of good ones in charity shops (seriously), it looks fine.

Funky Monk

HSC
N/A
Fuck that, You can get plenty of decent ties for less than that. If you don't give a shit about the brand especially. I have a pure silk tie that I got from DJs for like $40, and it looks better than the Pierre Cardin one I have (that I found at work) that is polyester as well. Shit, if all else fails just get a plain navy/black tie.
Granted, had I been looking for work ties I could have found quite a few for around the $50 mark, but I was chasing something a bit more interesting for my sister's wedding, and on that day everything I found in the cheap range looked shithouse.

Stoogey

HSC
Just remember that you need to be matching the tie with your shirt and suit (if your wearing one that is) as well :)

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
If you want a good tie you'll be spending at least $50 on it. Myer CBD has some $150 ones marked down to $50 at the moment because they're last season's stock.
They had Versace ties for $189. I wanted to buy one, but they were too much of a feature to themselves and didn't quite match any shirts I have.

And you really don't want to pay less than $40 for a tie. They last a long time, so why not get yourself a nice silk tie?

blOwfish

HSC
It's worth spending some decent dough on a nice tie. Just remember to buy a 100% silk tie. The polyester shit will make your tie look frimpy and fly all over the place. Also buy a tie with a 45 degree bias cut so that the tie stays "flat" on your chest/shirt. Also you NEVER throw your tie in the washing machine. That ruins it: period. - Just had to point that out as someone mentioned throwing a tie in the machine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)