where to get cheap/discounted books? (1 Viewer)

musing

HSC
Go to an op shop. They have extremely cheap books, a large collection as well - some are in a good condition, some are not.

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
Seconded (or thirded whatever). Best collection of non-fiction stuff. Some of them not that old, probs less than 5 years.

True about the defection thing though. I bought one of those hardcover books where they put in their own ones (à la library hardcovers) and the prices were slashed by a lot. Great place for books.
yeah i saw this place...bought a couple of cheap books from there...i think its the one im thinking of...

sherianne

Center of the First Sun, within you, forever!
HSC
N/A
Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository

cheap as, and free postage worldwide..
Has anyone ordered from them? I have been planning on looking for a free shipping source since I noticed it somewhere. I think this was it. My last order of 9 books mostly from Abe's came to about $260 and most of that was shipping which is really outrageous. It adds up fast.
I just found a book I will order there and I will find others.
So far it seems they have mostly paperback. That's ok if the price is low.
I prefer to buy hard covers. The hardbound I see there are higher priced, so that may be how it works to cover shipping. They may also have depots in the countries they "ship to".
Thanks for posting that link.

skut8

Not 'Scoot', 'Skut'
HSC
Anyone been to the bookshop that just opened next to Gould's in Newtown? Plato's books or something like that.

Just noticed it today on the bus ride home.

CheesePlease

Cheese Dreams!
HSC
Has anyone ordered from them? I have been planning on looking for a free shipping source since I noticed it somewhere. I think this was it. My last order of 9 books mostly from Abe's came to about $260 and most of that was shipping which is really outrageous. It adds up fast.
I just found a book I will order there and I will find others.
So far it seems they have mostly paperback. That's ok if the price is low.
I prefer to buy hard covers. The hardbound I see there are higher priced, so that may be how it works to cover shipping. They may also have depots in the countries they "ship to".
Thanks for posting that link.
Yeah I have, they ship each book individually too so if one is out of stock you don't have to wait around for ages for the others. It also means the mail is pretty cool for about a week (3 books one day, 2 the next, 4 the next day etc.) I ordered 11 books for around $100 and I'd happily do it again. Although they did screw up one of my orders and sent the wrong book.

sherianne

HSC
N/A
even try http://bookdepository.com - it's the same company as the UK one except it's priced in USD.. so when converting to AUD it usually works out cheaper.
Hi Aeriff.
The first book I checked - Akhenaten and the Religion of Light (Paperback)
is the same price, $13.18 CAD at both links.
I see both links resolve to the latter domain and the full urls are identical.
(When I put both the raw links here BoS automatically added the spam "Free shipping worldwide on all books from The Book Depository" when it converted it to a BBCode url. Weird. I just edited the post to remove that.)
As I click between the 2 pages (both pointing to this item) nothing changes.
The currency selection drop list is in $ CAD. (Yes, I am in Canada.)
The price for that book went up 6 cents in 24 hrs. :eek:

Last edited:

sherianne

HSC
N/A
Yeah I have, they ship each book individually too so if one is out of stock you don't have to wait around for ages for the others. It also means the mail is pretty cool for about a week (3 books one day, 2 the next, 4 the next day etc.) I ordered 11 books for around $100 and I'd happily do it again. Although they did screw up one of my orders and sent the wrong book.
Thankyou for your insightful reply CheesePlease.
Looks like I can get new books there for less than I paid for used and without expensive shipping.
That's fantastic, it's seems almost too good to be true, I can order lots more books.
I have had days where 2 or 3 books come and it is like Christmas.
Once I had a problem with a UK order from the Library College of Dublin where a Book of Kells manuscript DVD ordered by two different parties for me got returned twice but both times the problem was at this end and for much different reasons. It was such a relief when it finally arrived on the 3rd attempt.
What does one do with the wrong book?
Did you ever read the wrong book?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)