whether to repeat year 12? Please Help (1 Viewer)

dawooddaman

HSC
Please readbefore commenting

I'm currently doing Chem, Bio, Phy, General math, and standard English. I wasforced to choose general due to family hardship, because i though my familyneed me more at that time.

Life was pretty hard so i started making stupid excuses entire 4 terms andreally only started studying Term 1 week 5 just before year 12 half yearly’s,currently im in 60-70 in all my subjects expect math which is in the 50-60.Just now i finally learned the key to life is knowledge just recently.

But to be honest if i go hard out from now on I’ll be lucky to get 80+ ATAR, soi thought about repeating year 12 and going up to advance English justwondering if its allowed? and maybe going to mathematics or will that be toomuch pressure? plus ill solidify my chem, phy and bio in the next 2 terms getup to 95+ standard, and focus mostly on advance English and mathematics thewhole next year

Or are they other ways into Civil/mining Engineering which is 91 ATAR???

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

I'm currently doing Chem, Bio, Phy, General math, and standard English. I wasforced to choose general due to family hardship, because i though my familyneed me more at that time.

Life was pretty hard so i started making stupid excuses entire 4 terms andreally only started studying Term 1 week 5 just before year 12 half yearly’s,currently im in 60-70 in all my subjects expect math which is in the 50-60.Just now i finally learned the key to life is knowledge just recently.

But to be honest if i go hard out from now on I’ll be lucky to get 80+ ATAR, soi thought about repeating year 12 and going up to advance English justwondering if its allowed? and maybe going to mathematics or will that be toomuch pressure? plus ill solidify my chem, phy and bio in the next 2 terms getup to 95+ standard, and focus mostly on advance English and mathematics thewhole next year

Don't repeat Year 12. In my books, the moment you realised that "the key to life is knowledge" was the moment you become a successful high school student.

Give it your all and see what ATAR you get. Join a science/arts course at whichever uni you prefer, embrace the learning and transfer into what you fancy a year later.

Too easy.

dawooddaman

HSC
Honestly??? ill give it my all but would 70+ ATAR get me anywere??? and could you please explain how does transfering work, how long would it???

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

If you want to do engineering, MX1 is a pre-requisite unless you do a bridging course.

So if you decide to repeat (which I guess not to), you'd want MX1.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly??? ill give it my all but would 70+ ATAR get me anywere??? and could you please explain how does transfering work, how long would it???
Yes. It will get you into SOME uni.

From there you can just apply for second-year entry into the course you wish to undertake.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
If you want to do engineering, MX1 is a pre-requisite unless you do a bridging course.

Not so sure of it being a pre-req, but just as assumed knowledge. Anyone doing eng probably did MX1-MX2 though.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

That's not true. There is no pre-requisite.

T0m0h4wk

HSC
It depends on what uni you go to, i live near Woollongong uni and i know you only need an 80 for engineering and no pre requisite, their also the second best engineering uni behind UTS so its worth having a think about them before repeating.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a massive proponent of not repeating Yr 12. I just think you should get into uni and transfer. Move forward now you are enlightened and don't look back again.

Clean Sweep

HSC
My ex-physics teacher told the class he didn't go well in physics (close to fail) in the HSC but look where he is now.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a massive proponent of not repeating Yr 12. I just think you should get into uni and transfer. Move forward now you are enlightened and don't look back again.
This.

Do not repeat. Total waste of a year.

barbernator

HSC
apply for bonus points because if you have had family troubles im sure you can get some

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Particularly since repeating by no means guarantees a better mark.

mecramarathon

HSC
2 people in my year repeated, their ATARs did improve, but not significantly

whereas a number of people in my year (with ATARs in 70s/80s) did general degrees e.g. B Arts, B Science got C/D/HD average and transferred into law, engineering, commerce etc. at USYD/UNSW

pacman911

HSC
im doing eng/com atm, and you can get into civil/mining with an 80ish atar through a scheme they have, you have to fill out some questionaires and go into a interview (this is for UNSW). i have a friend who scored 78 in his atar but got into eng/com through an interview (i think it was eng/com, or just plain software engineering). bonus points are ridiculous, and unsw always has alot of spots for engineering, particularly mining. math 3U is assumed knowledge, so you will have to do bridging courses (one for 2U and one for 3U), otherwise you can add 6-12 months to your degree and pick up fundamentals of math in your course, which basically teaches you 2U, 3U and a bit of 4U over a semester. another option is the dipset (diploma of science, engineering and technology) which is 1 years worth of math and science (physics and chem particularly). if you score well in this (70 is the threshold i believe) your guaranteed a position in engineering. as well, if you dont score enough for mining/eng, you can go into regular eng (91.00 i think, 86 with 5 bonus points and entrance via that scheme if you score over 75) and then apply for an internal transfer if you can maintain a distinction average (not as difficult as it sounds, but you'll need to do a fair bit of work for math BEFORE you start the course). lot of options, its only term 2 so dont freak out, work hard to make the difference with your term 1 marks. good luck :)

dawooddaman

HSC
thx guys for the helping, all I’ll be doing from now on is live and breathing chem, phy, bio, math and english form now on and hopefully get a 80+ ATAR, really appericate it =)

Magical Kebab

HSC
Yeah don't repeat, but do the best you can. No point saying anything because all the previous comments are all true.
Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)