Which Bank? (1 Viewer)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Heya guys,
Just wanted to know which bank/credit union you keep your hard earn cash with or reccommend?
What is the interest rate+terms ?

I currently got ANZ Progress Saver, with 4.2% p.a bonus interest, with minimum monthly deposits of $10, and no withdrawls, no fees (student).

Ive heard there are much better ones around, except i dont really trust credit-unions etc, because what happens if that company ever went bust?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
but if you're a student you have no fees... so low bank fees doesn't matter to us... or am i mixing something up?

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
No, your right iambored

You have to present your student card eacch year and they "waive" the bank fees.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Its with all banks, but not sure with credit unions.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
natstar said:
is this only with banks? or are credit unions different? Maybe i still get charged cuz i havent shown a student card
if you don't show the card, they will charge you (as i learn the hard way)
i don't know if credit unions are the same

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Commonwealth bank does charge fees if you're a student and also no fees for credit cards either...but i normally put all my money in trusts and stuff...since that they generally have a better growth rate than banks....

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
SipSip said:
Commonwealth bank does charge fees if you're a student
I'm a commbank customer and I DO NOT get charged ANY fees (I am not sure about non-comm ATMs) UNLESS I go over my transaction limit ...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
McLake said:
I'm a commbank customer and I DO NOT get charged ANY fees (I am not sure about non-comm ATMs) UNLESS I go over my transaction limit ...
what's a transaction limit?

SipSip, i would check that out

Ribbon

I am with ANZ - I pay no fees of any kind (even overdraw fees) except $1.50 to withdraw money from a non-anz atm.

After you have been with anz for 6months you can apply for a $1000 overdraft facility that has no interest charge unless it goes over $1000 and I think it might be a small (like $30 -60) a year charge to have it (this might be waived too... I'm not sure)

Pretty sweet deal I rekon!

tommywatts

ING is one of the best around with 5.25% (compound interest daily) - no bank fees but no ATMs. if the RBA continues to put up interest rates, the rate at ING will mostly likely to go up.
I earned over $90 in the last quarter.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
iambored said:
what's a transaction limit?
There is a limit to the amount of free transcations (ATM withdrawls, etc) that you can have as a student. but it's something like 15 a month, so you probably won't ever excede it ..

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
k thanks,

some accounts don't have any limits

steph@nie

narcissistic whore.
HSC
i dont get charged withdrawal fees etc... im with teachers cred union.

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
That's pretty good... I'm with St George and I paid $15 in fees last time they charged me :p It sucks.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
McLake said:
There is a limit to the amount of free transcations (ATM withdrawls, etc) that you can have as a student. but it's something like 15 a month, so you probably won't ever excede it ..
15 a month is not much for some people, i at least 30-40 ATM/Eftpos transactions each month because i do everything through my eftpos card, rather than cash. and i have never been charged fees cos i'm a student

(i'm commonwealth by the way)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
johnson said:
15 a month is not much for some people, i at least 30-40 ATM/Eftpos transactions each month because i do everything through my eftpos card, rather than cash. and i have never been charged fees cos i'm a student

(i'm commonwealth by the way)
Maybe I am completly wrong about the limit thing then ...

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
How does this ING thing work? Joining with an existing account? What happens to the interest i'm already earning with my current bank?? confusing..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)