which car? (1 Viewer)

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
i'm pretty sure he got his P's before that regulation came into place.
if so u can still drive v8's turbo's n supercharged cars

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
breaking said:
update: i just saw some new corollas in a shopping centre and had a quick look at them, sat inside etc... i was actually really impressed with the build quality, all the storage spaces etc... so i have added this to my list. i'd probably go for the levin SX.

oh and thanks seremify, that info helps HEAPS. yeah i should have mentioned... i'd definitely be getting a manual. i can't drive them yet :eek: but my dad is going to teach me lol. yeah i've seen a pic of the astra coupe's back window (from the inside), i can imagine that rear vision would be absolutely shocking. but i guess i'll find out on the weekend. as for the civic, yeh i know the vti is just the base model but i dont really think there is enough difference between that and the vti-l to justify the price difference. as opposed to the astra cd and cdx where there are quite a few better features.

i've pretty much ruled the focus out now anyway.... think i will test drive the astra and corolla on the weekend, possibly the civic too.
No worries mate.

If you're going Manual and you like the Corolla interior- then go for it. It's a pretty snazzy car and if you can live with the 'image' of driving whitegoods, then you might enjoy it. I like the gear shift positioning in it (it's nicer than the Civic's location for a manual- esp with handbrake in the way). Performance should be excellent but I've never test driven.

I agree with you about the CD/CDX Astra Coupe- there's a HUGE difference between the two in terms of features/trim/spec/etc... I'm not sure about the 2.2L models but you might want to consider those since they should be in your price range and I'd imagine would overcome the 1.8's lack of torque (and power). Nonetheless, without parking sensors on that car, I'd be bloody scared.

One thing I will add about the Civic though is it has HUGE mirrors. Across the range, it's HUGE. I never realised how great the vision is until I drove the Jag or the BMW... both of these have horribly small mirrors (note: the BMW has had the automatic tilt function for reversing removed). Like you said the price diff from VTi to VTi-L is not good enough to justify the features and I agree; I feel like I should've bought the Sport model for an extra $4k over the VTi-L but hey, that's life. Although I think if you were limited in budget to $25k, the Civic thumps the others by miles; but as you go up the price range, the Corolla (which is safer I think?) is probably a better car until you compare it with the Civic Sport (2.0L).

And one more thing I forgot to mention, the Astra Coupe has very flimsy seat-folding controls (at least compared to other cars I've been in which were much easier to use). I know if it's your car you'll get used to the lack of feedback and initial difficulty in folding the seat forward, but look at it this way (this is my reasoning)- I'm not going to be sitting in the back, and if I'm picking up mates, I'm staying in the drivers seat and they'll be the ones to fold the seat forward to squeeze into the back... and if they find it **** hard to operate, they might be the ones to break it >__> just a small consideration- either that, or maybe I'm just a retard at operating things like that!

lengy

HSC
This coming from someone who's willing to live with the image of 'typical Asian driver who thinks having a Honda means it has V-Tec and the car is now therefore supposed to be sporty and fast when it's so far from the truth'.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
^^ oi matt was i not talking about this to u like 2 hours ago.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
lengy said:
This coming from someone who's willing to live with the image of 'typical Asian driver who thinks having a Honda means it has V-Tec and the car is now therefore supposed to be sporty and fast when it's so far from the truth'.
Meh I have nothing to prove to a forum. If you want to see the other cars in our carpark I'll PM you the link.

breed obsession
A wine-soaked strobe-lit Asiatic hall of mirrors
HSC
lengy said:
I personally think Vtec is hugely overrated. I get better performance boosts by filling up on premium than I do from hitting vtec, yo.

OP, the new Corollas are very nice but the only one I've driven had a really sloppy gearbox. Was pretty new so I'm not sure if it's an issue with the whole range or just that car? Just be warned that you should get someone who knows manuals well to test drive it and check it all feels right.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
47.46.45 said:
I personally think Vtec is hugely overrated. I get better performance boosts by filling up on premium than I do from hitting vtec, yo.
LOL... it depends on the version of Vtec. The iVtec in the new Civic (1.8) seems to work pretty consistently in either standard or premium unleaded. A well run-in Civic also performs alot better than when it's new.

47.46.45 said:
OP, the new Corollas are very nice but the only one I've driven had a really sloppy gearbox. Was pretty new so I'm not sure if it's an issue with the whole range or just that car? Just be warned that you should get someone who knows manuals well to test drive it and check it all feels right.
Can't comment as I haven't actually driven the new Corolla.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Get the Civic matt! Then you can be all;
VTEC JUST KICKED IN YO' ^________^

CieL

HSC
seremify007 said:
One thing I will add about the Civic though is it has HUGE mirrors. Across the range, it's HUGE. I never realised how great the vision is until I drove the Jag or the BMW... both of these have horribly small mirrors
That is what I consider the worst thing on the Civic lol... the mirrors are WAYYY too big!!

Everytime I hop into the Civic from the Euro to go to the station or something, I always have trouble changing lanes because the centre rear view mirror is so conflicting with the side rear view mirrors.. one says you have shitloads of room and the other says the car on your side is too close.. and then I get confused on which one to trust to merge n shit..

I guess they just feel like oversized magnifying glasses to me

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
47.46.45 said:

you OBVIOUSLY havent been in a type R, be it integra or civic. your mind will really boggle when it goes 2k past the dash's redline without big torque loss, and a type R is one of the couple of cars i have been in that has made my feet lift off the floor while sitting in the passenger seat. the other ones were a turbo 200SX, and a cop-chipped commodore. you want me to believe that something like a SSS could out run a highway patrol when it cant even outrun a V6 commodore with a cop chip being the only modification? :rofl:

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
breaking said:
ok so im getting a new car in the next few months and have pretty much narrowed it down to:

holden astra cdx coupe

-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Underpowed and slow compared to competition.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Automatic gearbox from the 1980s GM parts bin.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Crap rear vision.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]You will look like a hairdresser.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Expensive to insure.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Below average reliability.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Expensive repairs and servicing.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Old fashioned, previous generation Astra suspension.

+ Excellent crash safety 5 star, Euroncap crash barrier champ.
+ Built like a tank by poor black people in Europe.
+ Some people think it looks stylish.
+ Buying one helps a struggling GM.

ford focus zetec
- Lacks Curtain Airbags!
- Only 4 speed automatic.
- It’s a Mazda 3 with a different skin. The Mazda 3 is better value and you can get curtain airbags which means you won’t die instantly if you get hit by a dickhead in a 4WD.
- Average reliability record.

+ Apparently good dynamics.
+ Looks rather good.

honda civic vti
- Sedan only.
- Wacky Dash.
- No curtain or side airbags on the VTi. 5 star crash test result irrelevant. Test conducted with side and curtain airbags.
- You will look like a ricer who does up his car who is obsessed with VTEC.
- You will look like an Asian Mum.
- No alloy wheels.
- Looks odd.
- Poor Visibility (can't see the nose when in drivers seat).

+ Wacky Dash.
+ More power and better gearbox (5 speed auto) than the other listed.
+ Apparently well made in Thailand.

I just went back and read you don't want an auto, so disregard what I said about autos.

I also went and had a look at the new Corolla.

- Old spec Auto (disregard this).
- Old spec suspension.
- Later in the year models will be better equipped with ESP. Current models do not have ESP.

+ Bluetooth.
+ 5 star crash barrier result.
+ Record for dependability and reliability.
+ Cool interior.
+ Excellent fit and finish and well built in Japan.
+ Excellent resale.

--------------------
You should consider the Golf, Mazda 3 or the Hyundai Elantra.
--------------------

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
wheredanton said:
I also went and had a look at the new Corolla.

- Old spec Auto (disregard this).
- Old spec suspension.
- Later in the year models will be better equipped with ESP. Current models do not have ESP.

+ Bluetooth.
+ 5 star crash barrier result.
+ Record for dependability and reliability.
+ Cool interior.
+ Excellent fit and finish and well built in Japan.
+ Excellent resale.
You sure you weren't looking at the flagship models? The interior in the base model feels cheap and forced together by a budget.

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
seremify007 said:
You sure you weren't looking at the flagship models? The interior in the base model feels cheap and forced together by a budget.
Well for about 20k I thought it looked ok. Dash architecture, in the hatch, is the same regardless of the trim level.

The golf is a good car but it has its limitations.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
wheredanton said:
Well for about 20k I thought it looked ok. Dash architecture, in the hatch, is the same regardless of the trim level.

The golf is a good car but it has its limitations.
You sure? I distinctly remember the salesman telling me it's the same except for the $30K+ models which feature digital dash and I remember sitting in the bucket seats noticing the centre console had nicer finish/trim too in the flagship.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)