Which gym are you at and how much do you pay? (1 Viewer)

laniani

HSC
Looking into joining a gym with some friends...but they've given me the job of finding the best/ cheapest.
I realise the little local ones would be cheapest but am really interested in the current prices for fitness first, trackside, fernwood, curves, contours, etc.

So where do you go and how much do you pay? Thanks

HSC
I put a downpayment on an olympic set, so it was $1000 upfront. Best money I've spent imo.

Standard rates are $600-700 around here, probs less if you're a student.

If you want something cheap, try your local pcyc.

quik.

HSC
If you're going to be bringing friends, make sure to let the gym know that and ask if they can sweeten the deal. Could save a fair chunk of change, at the VERY least (and I meant very least in the sense that if this is all they offer you, personally I would look elsewhere) get the joining/admin fees waived.

I use a home gym. Have used the small uni gym and valley fitness in the past. Uni gym had some great guys there, valley fitness was a lot more hygienic if that makes sense. But, being bigger, valley had some great equipment not available at the uni gym.

Important things to look for are first of all a good range of free weights, bars, squat racks with safety bars etc. Then look at machines, then if it matters cardio stuff. If they have a pool that's great for recovery work. Also, if you can, check out the actual environment. Go in there at times you guys would be there if you joined. If everyone is lifting girl weights or if noise etc is frowned upon I would look elsewhere, personally.

If you need them, make sure they have secure lockers etc.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
MQ Sports and Aquatic

$160 / 4 months, but i brought a friend and got a month free. Very cheap and they have good staff.

laniani

HSC
thanks for info so far!
can't do pcyc- am in Melb....I think our equivalent in a YMCA, but there's none close to me...

locally, fitness first seems to have the best equipment...but no staff to help you out. They also seem to be the money driven lot....I'm thinking they'll end up being the most expensive. The local one has a pool as well though....and I'd only get a home membership

The smaller local ones are prob cheaper, def arent as big, not as much equipment/ variety in classes, but they do have staff to help you out....my friend really wants to go to a female only gym...im not too keen on that

HSC
thanks for info so far!
can't do pcyc- am in Melb....I think our equivalent in a YMCA, but there's none close to me...

locally, fitness first seems to have the best equipment...but no staff to help you out. They also seem to be the money driven lot....I'm thinking they'll end up being the most expensive. The local one has a pool as well though....and I'd only get a home membership

The smaller local ones are prob cheaper, def arent as big, not as much equipment/ variety in classes, but they do have staff to help you out....my friend really wants to go to a female only gym...im not too keen on that
also remember that bigger/more commercial gyms can be a good place to pick up...

quik.

HSC
16.50 a week, how much will you use the gym? Extras?

If you're just going for cardio then you don't need a gym. If you're gna train and will actually go, not just let them charge you every month for nothing, then weigh up if 16.50 a week is cool to you.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC

If you're just going for cardio then you don't need a gym. If you're gna train and will actually go, not just let them charge you every month for nothing, then weigh up if 16.50 a week is cool to you.
oh yeah, I go every day im 80kg now started 74 training weith a friend Still suck at deadlifts though 6"1' trying to bulk

laniani

HSC
also remember that bigger/more commercial gyms can be a good place to pick up...
exactly why I'm not too keen on the female only gyms....:D

have called around a few places, the ones willing to give out prices tend to be around $70 per month.....so...if I can get fitness first onto that i'll be happy

laniani

HSC

I want a variety...I can't do cardio by myself atm, i get way too distracted/ bored. So I think I'm most interested in the classes, then general circuit training. But I don't really know anything else.....we had a small circuit gym at school, so other than that I know nothing!

16.50 sounds great? is that a student rate?....im taking a year off from uni this year...but still have my 'current' student card if I feel liek cheating the system..

volition

arr.
HSC
UNSW unigym is pretty cheap for students, $380 for a yearly pass to weights + cardio. I found it pretty packed early on in the year, but these days it hasn't been very busy at all. I think it's decent value

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i go to a place called Cronulla Fitness. its not a franchise or anything.
$33.50 a fortnight for peak usage.

a new FF platinum opened near me and because one of my mates was a founding member he can get a few friends cheap memberships so i'm gonna start there soon.

i really do like my current gym though, because its small and not part of a chain there are very few gronks who go there. average member is 40 year old super buff male most of whom are more than happy to spot you and give you advice. i visited the FF as a casual to see what it was like. its huge and incredibly well equipped obviously but the people seemed like douchebags.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i'm hoping to go to unsw next year.. i look forward to greater retention of cash through using that gym ha

pman

Banned
HSC
ok, for weights, I use my cycle coaches home gym, set up with everthing we need for cycling training, for the rest, I go for a run or a ride out on the street so I don't need a gym, If your gonna do weights a gym membership is worth it but i can't see why people drive to a gym to run on a treadmill. having said that, the private gyms are usually cheaper and more njoyable to be at than the chains

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Fitness First, $23 a week. But I love it. I love that the cardio rooms are dim, so you don't feel like you're in a spotlight. People just seem to go about their own business, but are friendly enough if you need something. And there are about a million hot PT's, lol.

Pretty much the best money I've spent, thus far =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)