Which is the best private school? have your say. (1 Viewer)

Which is the best private school?

• MLC School Sydney

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Trinity Grammar School

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Newington College

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Scots College

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • The Kings School

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Ascham

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Pymble Ladies\' College

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Abbotsleigh

Votes: 28 12.3%
  • Knox Grammar School

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Ravenswood

Votes: 17 7.5%

• Total voters

evenstar

when i stated anything that could be interpreted as being profound, i want to clarify that i do not view private schools as being any better or worse than public schools and i do not treat anyone, who attends either, based solely on their schooling.

and by life skills, generally,
- in single-sexed schools, there is little interaction between the two genders. this interaction is a large basis for society and social skills.
- in religious schools, there is little exposure to different religions, which can be detrimental to social skills, as Sydney is very multicultural with an extremely diversity of race, religion and culture.
- discrimination and class division breeds within "exclusiveness". this will create a greater class divide and encourage polarisation in our society.

Chat1

Im not saying they dont respect their teachers. I'm saying that they see them as 'outsiders'. As if they are above them for some1 reason. I know its hard to understand and grasp for u (not an insult).

Do i know any private school students? Yes, in fact a lot of my friends go to private schools. That is why i can see the contrast between the 2.

I am not trying to bag private schools out in any way. It's just that i feel public education has been a lot better for me and for all my other public school friends.

Go back a few posts and read my first comment and why i made it. It was a post by krissy :
'i would know... my dads one of the directors of westpac and alot of owners/managers feel the same way,,, except somewhere like maccas... god forbid anyone working there'

How is that not a private school prejudiced comment?

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
yes, working at maccas is really the way to go. :rolleyes:
maybe she was making a comment about consumerism or the pervasive corporate powers in our society. even if that was a prejudice comment, how is that a 'private school' prejudice comment?

also, there are single-sex public schools, religious school don't force it upon you to the extent that its detrimental to you socially or in the multicultural aspect (like twintip said, stop pulling comments out of your arse) and from what i have read, the only people being exclusive are you, constantly referring to private school students as being inferior.

snow bum

Banned
Originally posted by Chat1
Life skills, well lets see:

- How all people are equal, students as well as teachers.
Teachers at my school go to people's 18ths, it really isn't that big-a-deal, Im not even sure why you brought it up. I think a lot of public school students think private schools have a very regimented set of practices, 'sir' and 'ma'am' and the rest of it. Not so, we refer to a lot of our teachers by nicknames and those over 18 often run into them at the pub, etc. There are usually very good student-teacher relationships outside the classroom (don't take that out of context :rolleyes: ).

Toodulu's school lives only a few hundred metres from mine, and male and female students mix a lot outside of school hours. It would be fair to say that little social interaction occurs from 9 to 3 anyway. School is meant to be a learning environment.

The threat of a detention really isn't enough to make people who don't want to work, work. Well maybe in year 8 but from about year 10 on people in reality are left to their own accord. To be honest my homework hasn't been checked properly since year 10 (apart from stuff we've been told we had to hand in).

A lot of private schools like mine are not selective so any academic ability can attend. The school accepts any calibre of students (positions are filled on a first in basis), yes, even no-hopers.

Although krissy might have been a bit crude in her comment (and I'll be the first to jump on someone's back for making private school students look arrogant because it reflects badly on us all), I think she meant that Maccas employers are never prejudiced whereas sometimes, in other areas, contacts made through school can help you (such as in law). You still have to be able to do the job though. The comment is dodgy though.

On the other side of the coin you could say that private schools offer a wider range of cultural activities, sport, music, etc. The life experiences argument is a tiresome one; neither side has ever been shown to have the wood on the other in that respect.

I'm done. :)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
from a fully objective point-of-view, i think we should all take a break from the whole 'public vs. private' issue... i mean it's really unnecessary. i believe those whose socio-economic conditions allow them to go into private schools, good on them. i certainly will not complain against a guy whose rich means allow him to go into USYD law with an UAI of 95.05; it just means i will work harder to achieve the HECs cutoff. those whose means cannot allow them, well they can either try out for a scholarship or enter a public school. of course private schools will have better facilities than public, there's no need to state the obvious: it's all a matter of money.

consider this, in less than three months time we'd all be playing the same level ball-park known as the HSC. the Board of Studies identifies each student in the state by a number. this number does not discriminate between who goes to which school, private or public. it's what you write on the page/answer booklet that counts.

for me, the trials are on tomolo. the debate about whose dick/engine/school is better can wait.

stinger

Banned
A place where something is or could be located
urgh ... this argument will go in circles
i agree with frigid, but also remember this

1)each school is different, regardless of private/public
2)each person is different, and will suit a particular school better depending on the teachers/people at that school etc..

you can't have a debate of public vs. private ... its not that simple
there are so many different schools with different pros and cons, you can't really generalise

and everyone will just be biased towards their own school

i could go on, but i can't be bothered writing, so bleh
oh, and how many times did i say different?

stinger

Banned
A place where something is or could be located
Originally posted by snow bum
Haha you are joking aren't you?
You know what I hate? Public school students with FUCKING INFERIORITY COMPLEXES! GET THE FUCK OVER THEM! We DO NOT think we're better than you, it's just easier for you to think like that to justify any resentment you have towards us. :rolleyes: That is the only way I can justify your behavior (assuming you are acting rationally).
nah, i know quite a few people who do think that

i know its not helping your argument, but i guess its only a small few who think like that

krissy7685

most ppl at prrivate schools their parents struggle to send them there.....

and the public school in my schooling area give themselves a bad name by acting like loosers....graffiti'ing our school.... harassing us girls etc etc

snow bum

Banned
Originally posted by stinger
you can't have a debate of public vs. private ... its not that simple
I agree. You'll notice that it tends to be public school students who start the debate. It is rarely the other way around, but when people criticise the way you are educated it's hard not to respond. :)

Chat1

Stinger - your right it is wrong to generalise schools as public vs private. I understand your point.

I should have stated the private schools in which i know people from (mainly shore and wenona). I am not saying these schools r totaly snobby and up themselves. However the people i know from these schools are. I should not generalise the whole school based on these peoples behaviour. I myself attend a public school on the northern suburbs which is renound for violence, graffiti, gangs, drugs all that other shit. When i meet someone from a private school and i say what school i go to they are immediatly scared and think of me as inferior and one of these people. These students which have given us this reputation have now all droped out but they created a poor image for my school and it is impossible to get rid of. No matter how good we are in other areas eg. music, sport etc. we are still remebered for these 'losers' who used to attend my school.

I am not saying that all you private school people would treat me this way but it is from my experince that it does happen.

You can argue how i am wrong all you like, and say that you dont think of us as deros or holligans, but in my experince this has been the case. Just because you say you dont think you are not superior to us on these boards doesnt mean that this is how you act in a real situation.

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
i got a question to the private schoolers

is there a lot of people in your grade planning to be fee paying students at uni?

krissy7685

ill be totally honest and fill u guys in on what really goes on'

THIS IS JUST MY SCHOOL BY THE WAY!
firstly within my school you have the normal im better than the school down the road ppl.. they drive like the accents, lancers etc etc

but then you have the ppl that are even snobbier than the snobs.. hence drive mercs or beamers to school... spend their life worrying about nail, hair, clothes etc etc... think they are better than everyone.. bitch about their own friends

and then youve got the ppl that dont give a damn.... nerds is what we at our school call them(very cruel i know)... they dont care about the way they look, dress or the weirdo's the hang out with...

but most of them time the snobbier bitchy girls do quite well..

but then again.. when it comes to uni most of them wont be fee paying... not unless they did totally shit and need to be able to fee pay to actually get into uni without repeating their hsc which will probably be at least 5 girls......

but then again u have the girls maybe 4 or 5 of them that will actually fee pay cos they missed out on getting into something they really wanted to get into...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
hmmm yeah some of the bitchier snobbier girls I know tend to be quite competitive and do very well

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
Originally posted by Newbie
i got a question to the private schoolers

is there a lot of people in your grade planning to be fee paying students at uni?
most people are broke by the time they're done with private schooling

chandra

Banned
private school people are just rich kids whose parents want them to meet snobby kids and become social becoz at school they were the losers of the grade.... . the real rich kids that know how to be social go to the good public schools such as st ives and nth sydney girls and boys!

is a roflcopter
HSC
Originally posted by Toodulu
most people are broke by the time they're done with private schooling

if you had the choice again
would you use the money to pay your way into uni or pay private school fees?

chandra

Banned
btw a shout out to all mah bitchaz and da st.Helens park crew...i luv u danny!!! mwah mwah....cyaz all in a lil bit sistas and mah boyz!

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
i don't think i would pay my way into uni whether i went to a public or private school. there isn't a particular course that i *have* to do and often there are alternatives courses, or transfer or other unis or whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)