• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Left-ism said:
Minai
Could you please tell us what sort of marks, work experience and extra curricular activities you had to land that job?

Well..
I currently hold a distinction average at uni (just..)
Work as a shift manager part time (past 2 years)
Was a coordinator of the Business/Economics competition
Involved in ComSoc - returning officer for the 2005 elections
Volunteer tutoring of high school kids

That's basically it. The key to the interviews is to talk talk talk. Expand on whatever they ask you.

Left-ism

HSC
thanks minai

yeh it appears the interview is what sets you apart from the rest of the crowd and your marks and extra activities simply act as minimum criteria for entry.

also, could anyone else who has recently received graduate offers, please offer us some insight into what marks, work exp. etc they had. Such info. would be really helpful.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Minai said:
Well..
I currently hold a distinction average at uni (just..)
Work as a shift manager part time (past 2 years)
Was a coordinator of the Business/Economics competition
Involved in ComSoc - returning officer for the 2005 elections
Volunteer tutoring of high school kids

That's basically it. The key to the interviews is to talk talk talk. Expand on whatever they ask you.
Go Minai, I'm trying to copy your CV.
I'll have to get a shift manager's job and ask around if ComSoc needs a returning officer!

And by the way Minai . . congrats, you deserve it 100% mate.

I heard TCE is a really good area at EY. You got all the Murdoch (News, Fox, Sky) and Packer (Nine, ACP Magazines, PBL) businesses to audit!

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
mr_shittles said:
Go Minai, I'm trying to copy your CV.
I'll have to get a shift manager's job and ask around if ComSoc needs a returning officer!

And by the way Minai . . congrats, you deserve it 100% mate.

I heard TCE is a really good area at EY. You got all the Murdoch (News, Fox, Sky) and Packer (Nine, ACP Magazines, PBL) businesses to audit!
not to mention Star City :D

you'll probably be returning officer this year though, I might've set a precedent where all Ecocomp coordinators take on the role!

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Minai said:

you'll probably be returning officer this year though, I might've set a precedent where all Ecocomp coordinators take on the role!
How do you join these things??

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Korn said:
How do you join these things??
It's a mix of knowing people, and getting into volunteer stuff early, from 1st year.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Minai said:

Haha, thats the way Minai. Now that you're moving to EYs, I'm sure you'll demand something more upmarket than Star City.

Returning officer . . . now that's a promotion from Ecocomp.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Minai said:
It's a mix of knowing people, and getting into volunteer stuff early, from 1st year.
What volunteer stuff, cause im pretty sure I probably know enough of the right ppl

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Any volunteer stuff gives you good experience in teamwork, communication etc, not to mention it looks good on your CV and gives you things to talk about in an interview.

Try to get involved in your uni's commerce society, or be a treasurer of any society as a start.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Minai said:
Any volunteer stuff gives you good experience in teamwork, communication etc, not to mention it looks good on your CV and gives you things to talk about in an interview.

Try to get involved in your uni's commerce society, or be a treasurer of any society as a start.
yea, not everyone is treated equally :D lol anything with the word "manager" in a CV will draw attention to anybody. :D

X

xeuyrawp

theone123 said:
close to DDR, isnt that better for him? :D
awww I love DDR.

Macquarie centre hasn't got the version I like, either. I remember the tiem when I beat this Korean at "Nori Nori Nori" and he threw a tantrum and nearly killed me.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
PwarYuex said:
awww I love DDR.

Macquarie centre hasn't got the version I like, either. I remember the tiem when I beat this Korean at "Nori Nori Nori" and he threw a tantrum and nearly killed me.
u go heavy? haha try doin that on max 300 or paranoia :(

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Minai said:

I dont know if my uni has a commerce society or really any society's

DDR??? What's that

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
UWS has to have some sort of student organisations you can be part of, even the Union or the student council

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Oh wow, just noticed your signature Minai! Congrats :D. I was going to apply to some companies as well for mid-2006, but I thought I'd wait until next year instead, since most of them prefer you to apply in that year. Also, because my results last year weren't as good either, so I'm hoping I get better results this year!

klh

HSC
no uws doesnt have any business or discipline like society: sports adn like a law one. dunno about political ones and religion. i eman i once saw labor and communist [damn commies].
i don tknow if the council will elt you become treasurer, the union fees make us apart of a union/association already anyway.

X

xeuyrawp

I'm going to refrain from what I usually do, which is ask how much you'll earn...

Don't look at me like that, everyone was wondering!

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Starting salary is $41k which is pretty much the average across the big4. I was talking to a few seniors and they said after about 5 or 6 years, you'll have your CA, and sufficiently promoted and be earning close to $100k which doesnt sound too bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)