• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters
L

LaraB

aditya said:
i dno but its always the uws people that are making boring pointless comments....
and what - that sentence is oh so valuable and useful?

i dont see why it should be surprising that Aus MBA's aren't that highly regarded on an international scale...i mean,look at our primary industries over the last 50 or so years....

Australia isnt exactly the global business centre. I would think that's its pretty good toeven have 2 MBA courses up there given that countries like, i'm, guessing USA or whatever have had longer developed courses and more opportunities to improve them

L

LaraB

mr_shittles said:
Hey, on the subject of MBAs, I think the Financial Times magazine (London) published a list last year of the top 50 business schools in the world. Only two Australian business schools made it: AGSM and Melbourne Business School. That doesnt indicate how good those two schools are, but just how far behind the rest of the world (particularly US and Britain) we really are. An MBA is a very valuable tool, but in international circles, maybe only one or two are actually well-recognised.
the article is probably pretty accurate

but keep in mind too - its a London magazine, so maybe there is some kinda bias or self promotion involved....
depends on what they based their rrankings on i guess:)

aditya

HSC
oh man i checked out the harvard business site, finance units... it is unbleievably advanced..... its got financial ENGINEERING.... and just sounds so much more advanced.... evyerhting just seems advanced...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
employers..be more specific, what type of employers?

No, I hate finance and all that stuff, so no. I had a graduate interview at Ernst&Young the other day for an audit role, and seriously, your uni studies have little to do with anything. They ask you about your outside experiences and how you've juggled multiple commitments, not how well you did in uni. Out of a few thousand applications, only 160 got the call for an interview, but I met people there that were doing science and engineering degrees, and still got an interview for an audit job.

Basically, certain employers place emphasis on different things, it's all about knowing where you want to end up, and therefore moulding yourself to what they're looking for I guess.

is a roflcopter
HSC
hello minai i see the extra line on your sig :D :D :D

congrats man
you owned the inteview aye

X

xeuyrawp

Minai said:
That's no excuse...Korea was a third world country 50 years ago and now has an economy larger than Australia.
huh? I though Korea's economy, market value worth, was $285 Billion making it the 21st largest economy, whereas Australia is $424 Billion (almost double), making it the 13th biggest. (says the SMH)

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
hi minai, i saw you playing ont he ddr machine at the uni of new south walez
u look hot~~ ^__^

X

xeuyrawp

theone123 said:
australias economy is larger than koreas...
that's what I said. In fact, if you look at the top twenty economies, they are all pretty old nations (Australia is the newest in the top-50!) and have always been non-third world.

edit: that's not including the Corporations, they're pretty new... (9th is Microsoft, 12 is GE, 15 is Cisco, 18 is intel, 19 is Exxon, 20 is Walmart)

Last edited by a moderator:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry, my mistake, but the point of that example is that newly industrialised or new "high income" countries can't have the excuse of being "new" when they are behind established countries universities, especially with increasing accessibility of knowledge and information globally.

X

xeuyrawp

Minai said:
Sorry, my mistake, but the point of that example is that newly industrialised or new "high income" countries can't have the excuse of being "new" when they are behind established countries universities, especially with increasing accessibility of knowledge and information globally.
Hmm that's a good point, but I think a good University education just doesn't depend on available knowledge and information: a lot of it is the tutors, lecturers, general resources, and the students themselves; and it is these things that are less attracted by a newer Uni.

sarevok

HSC
Congrats Minai. Can you tell us what the recruitment process was like? Was it just the one interview? You did have to submit your grades at some stage, right?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks.

The process at E&Y is a bit different to others. There's the application stage (which is pretty tough, apparently only 160 made it to the assessment from thousands of applications), and theres the assessment centre, which encompasses 2 interviews, group activity and written exercise, all in the one day.

Left-ism

HSC
Minai
Could you please tell us what sort of marks, work experience and extra curricular activities you had to land that job?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)