Which language should i do for the hsc [beginners] (1 Viewer)

Mond0

HSC
Hi guys

Just wondering what language you recommend for me to do fo the hsc. Ive narrowed it down to a few but cant decide. Does anyone have any recommendations or comments to help me decide (or change my mind).

Im going to have to do it via distance ed. My school has german continuers and french continuers. the german teacher wants me to do german cont but i only did it in yr 8 and the rest of the class have done 200hrs in yr 9/10 so i'll be quite disadvantaged. I know continuers courses scale better but a.)german isnt a language I adore and b.) being at the bottom of the class probably wont have any postive effect on scaling anyway :hammer: .

Im currently thinking either Japanese beginners or Italian beginners but am open to recommendations. Also, if anyone has done a language by distance ed...any comments?

thanks heaps

HSC
dont do jap beginners unless your asian or you have a really big passion of the language..

i did it for year 9/10 and lost interest a few weeks in..couldnt change languages so i was stuck with it and so i ust played games during the period
ended up coming last..110/110..
average for every exam was 2.5/40 except for the listening which i managed to copy..and that probably saved me from getting the non-attempt:uhhuh:

victoria10

HSC
i warn dont do jap!
i did it in primary and in year 7 and i still new jack shit.
i am italian.
and in year 8 9 and 10 i have done italian and im doing italian cont.
i would say if you had to choose do italian.
jap's hsit.
sorry to anyone who likes it.

HSC
victoria10 said:
i warn dont do jap!
i did it in primary and in year 7 and i still new jack shit.
i am italian.
and in year 8 9 and 10 i have done italian and im doing italian cont.
i would say if you had to choose do italian.
jap's hsit.
sorry to anyone who likes it.
how can you be doing italian contin. if your italian ?

bawd

HSC
I'm doing Japanese and my main motivation is so that I can visit Japanese sites, watch anime raws and read manga in the original language. Italian or Japanese Beginners are good choices mainly because they are both quite simple languages to learn and I know this from doing Italian in Primary school. (As long as you listen to the teacher, ask questions and keep up to date.) :)

victoria10

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
how can you be doing italian contin. if your italian ?
let me re phrase i was born in australia.
but my family speaks italian.
get me?

lol.

victoria10

HSC
bawd said:
I'm doing Japanese and my main motivation is so that I can visit Japanese sites, watch anime raws and read manga in the original language. Italian or Japanese Beginners are good choices mainly because they are both quite simple languages to learn and I know this from doing Italian in Primary school. (As long as you listen to the teacher, ask questions and keep up to date.) :)
you found jap simple to learn?
farout i found it so hard!
maybe cause i never listened and was like drawing in my book.

HSC
victoria10 said:
get me?

lol.
not really..coz its your parents who are checked..
only if your parents were born in australia..or any other country
other than of italy

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
victoria10 said:
get me?

lol.
but I thought if you spoke the language at home, you would have had to choose italian background speakers or whatever.

ARABIC. be different :)

HSC
agirlinatutu said:
but I thought if you spoke the language at home, you would have had to choose italian background speakers or whatever.

ARABIC. be different :)
nah..im pretty sure its just a check on your parents..to see where they were born

victoria10

HSC
my parents were born here.
like all my grandparents were born in italy though.
im allowed to do cont.
im not coming first anyway.
lol

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
victoria10 said:
my parents were born here.
like all my grandparents were born in italy though.
im allowed to do cont.
im not coming first anyway.
lol
yeah thats kool. lol only time ive ever done a language was in year 8 and they only things i remember are bonjour and au revior :)

Peripheral

HSC
It only matters if you went to school in another country for about 3 years I think. So even if you were born in Italy but started school here, you would still be eligible to do continuers. (Anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

victoria10

HSC
Peripheral said:
It only matters if you went to school in another country for about 3 years I think. So even if you were born in Italy but started school here, you would still be eligible to do continuers. (Anyone correct me if I'm wrong).
yeah something like that
all i no is that i do it. lol

Naminé

HSC
Why all the hate on Japanese? It is easy and fun. The only problem is learning to write/read kanji, and that comes with practice. It's a structured language and you can write almost any sentence just by using simple templates. Like, the first you learn is A wa B desu. ._. And half of the language's vocabulary, almost not exaggerating!, is made of loanwords. In fact, when I don't know the word for something and couldn't be bothered looking it up, I often just turn into a properly-romanised loanword. Also, you get to watch fun stuff like Spirited Away ;x

What I hated -- and dropped in Year Nine -- was French. I found the language pretty pretentious =/, and also found the pronunciation of things very hard. The accent is so hard to understand.

Jusskah

HSC
The people who thought Japanese is hard obviously aren't trying hard enough- or I suppose that you just didn't want to learn it? It's going to be difficult to learn any language that you don't want to learn.

Sentence structure and grammar in Japanese is, in comparision to English, extremely basic.

Aznmichael92

HSC
Peripheral said:
i think that is pretty much correct. Some students are chinese and doing chinese extension/continuers. Some langauges dont even have background speakers. They only have continuers.

vivicross

HSC
Hi, I am in year 12 and have studied Indonesian beginners for my HSC, through Open High School (distance ed).

I previously studied French and Italian in yr 7-8.

Can I just say.....

It is fantastic!

Indonesian is not a difficult language to learn, it sounds really cool with the words rolling off the tongue and the teachers are very supportive (been on exam committees before, even). There are only about 40 odd students in the state who do this language, and those who do it are generally all there because they want to be. Also Indonesia is one of Australia's closest neighbours; it's really useful.

Summary: Do Indonesian!!! :wave:

avgust90

HSC
i hav a suggestion... do....... SERBIAN ...

itss d besttttt :)

lollllllllllllll

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)