Which language should i do for the hsc [beginners] (1 Viewer)

Cerry

HSC
I'm pretty sure if you haven't done a language in 9 and 10, you don't qualify for the continuers course, which means you actually can't do French or German continuers.
I'm doing German continuers, and I really like it, and find the lanuage pretty easy. That being, all 4 of the language teachers I've had have said that I have a natural ear for languages, which really helps.
I wouldn't advise picking up Japanese, simply because you have to learn at least one new alphabet (possibly more), and it's very different from English.

I'm not actually doing German through distance ed, but I'm doing the distance ed course, and because I'm the only one in the class, I get 45 minutes of contact time with a teacher each week. I find I don't really do enough work, but I don't actually have a deadline for handing in work, like the open highschool does. I just do it as I do it. The working at your own pace aspect is really nice, but it's quite difficult learning a language without a teacher, especially if you can't get speaking practise very often.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
xXmuffin0manXx said:
dont do jap beginners unless your asian or you have a really big passion of the language..

i did it for year 9/10 and lost interest a few weeks in..couldnt change languages so i was stuck with it and so i ust played games during the period
ended up coming last..110/110..
average for every exam was 2.5/40 except for the listening which i managed to copy..and that probably saved me from getting the non-attempt:uhhuh:
That makes absolutely no sense at all. That's like saying to asians that they must not do ex2.

suzlee

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
clarify please
People shouldn't be restricted to learning Japanese just because of their non-Asian background.. On what fact are you basing that advice on?

HSC
suzlee said:
People shouldn't be restricted to learning Japanese just because of their non-Asian background.. On what fact are you basing that advice on?
i was referring to the it doesnt make sense part..
coz he only highlighted the part from 'do' which would not make any sense then..

and the dont do jap unless ur azn thing is just like a generalisation..chinese and koreans rule at jap because its just easier for them (another generalisation)..so im saying that she would find the language harder and perhaps disadvantaged..

yeah she can study for it make it all up..but i wouldnt want to be spending all that time on an average scaling of subject whereas on italian in my opinion is probably easier (although that depends on each person) and she would be in like the same boat as everybody else..not ranked close to last

and im not saying she cant do it..but she just has to see what options she has and im saying jap isnt a really top choice..this is my advice..and that is what she asked for so it doesnt necessarily have to agree with everyone elses..okie dokie ?

one more thing..i didnt restrict her..i said something along the lines of if you have passion for the language that would too

:)

Last edited:

TBK11

HSC
id say Japanese its fairly simple and straight forward i did it in yr 7 got 99/100 so easy but the work we were doin was yr 3 work for the japanese school kids,
pick which ever language u prefer

My oppion id choose Japanese u can Learn by Watching Anime with English subs catch on words and pharses :)

suzlee

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
i was referring to the it doesnt make sense part..
coz he only highlighted the part from 'do' which would not make any sense then..

and the dont do jap unless ur azn thing is just like a generalisation..chinese and koreans rule at jap because its just easier for them (another generalisation)..so im saying that she would find the language harder and perhaps disadvantaged..

yeah she can study for it make it all up..but i wouldnt want to be spending all that time on a average scaling of subject whereas on italian in my opinion is probably easier (although that depends on each person) and she would be in like the same boat as everybody else..not ranked close to last

and im not saying she cant do it..but she just has to see what options she has and im saying jap isnt a really top choice..this is my advice..and that is what she asked for so it doesnt necessarily have to agree with everyone elses..okie dokie ?

one more thing..i didnt restrict her..i said something along the lines of if you have passion for the language that would too

:)
Ah okay :)
I did Japanese in Y7 as a mandatory subject and I'm Korean. I didn't find it that easy, it was a just foreign language that just had similar linguistic characteristics to Korean.
All I want to say is that it's up to the individual to decide they want to learn a language. I think it just happens to be that some groups of people (eg Koreans) find that they have super potential to be good at a foreign language (eg Jap!) ... :D but that's just my opinion

Mond0

HSC
Ok, thanks for your suggestions. Im probably leaning towards japanese.

then someone suggested chinese would be good to know since australia's relations with china are booming...so any suggestions as to which one is better? or easier to learn? There is a lot of variations of chinese too, isnt there? Is there a standard one taught?

cheers :D

aimhigh10

HSC
i have friend who is picking up italian beginners next year
i think pick italian bc it is a whole heap easier than japanese

have to check this but for any language you do, for some uni courses you get 5 bonus points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)