Which motorcycle should I modify? (warning: image heavy) (1 Viewer)

Which motorcycle?

• Tu250

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SRV250

• SR250

• Something else

• Total voters

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
I realize none of you are familiar with any of this, but I thought I'd throw it out there for shits and giggles and my own contemplation. Feel free to say whatever you like, suggest other bikes, throw other ideas out there, any random thoughts.

I'm planning to modify a 250cc custom street motorcycle in a classic style. Strip the weight, make it purposeful, give it some style, loud pipes, junk the airbox for some pod filters, upgrade the suspension with fancy bits, solo racing seat, clip-on bars, custom paintjob with fat racing stripes down the tank. In the style of the classic racers of old, like a manx norton, a triton or something. The idea is handling and speed through lightweight, rather than out-and-out acceleration by bhp.

Has to be 250cc to save on rego costs, unfortunately.

I'm going to build it all and do it all at home in the garage, save perhaps outsourcing a little bit of welding.

I've narrowed it down to these models, with a tastefully modified example so you can get an idea what I'd be aiming at, posted in no particular order:

Suzuki Tu250

Modified version is based on a Jap market only ST250, but close enough.

Pros: Simple, Cheap to buy and to work on, potentially stunning in looks, very pure, Tank+ headlight + instruments are perfect- no need for mods there, no one in the world has ever modified one
Cons: Completely gutless

Yamaha SRV250

Pros: Modern classic, tweaked virago motor has a little bit of guts. Proper sporty bike, Twowheels magazine rated it as a "bike of the year" finalist back in the day.
Cons: The shape is so distinctive it's almost hard to get away from and create something original- not a blank canvas. Often not cheap

Yamaha SR250

Pros: The 500 is a confirmed classic so parts and knowledge are everywhere, with off the shelf 500 parts bolting on, relatively easy job to customize, simple and pure, the spirit of a classic. Classic for a reason, beautiful stuff.
Cons: Small man syndrome, you'd always wish you had the 500 (the modified example is a 500), a definite cliche, every man and his dog has one. Completely gutless- even the 500 has no guts let alone the 250.

Honda VTR250

Pros: Stunning, classic (if derivative), by far the sportiest bike here, powerful engine and awesome handling, a genuine pocket rocket. Never been done before, can imagine something special with clip-ons a fibreglass race seat and a pipe
Cons: Not cheap for a reason, could be hard to get away from the ducati monster overtones, complex- something I'd have to get serviced at a shop.

I've really got no idea what I'll go for. You tell me

Once I've saved a bit of cash and bought the bike, I'll make this thread an ongoing diary of the modification project, with pics.

Last edited:

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
how about go for a bigger bike

but seriously, vtr or tu.

Would love to see the vtr done though.

quik.

HSC
Sorry but I am unclear on one point - are you going for a cafe racer, or will this actually be used for track/twisty work? If you plan on using it for honest to goodness tracking or twisty work have you considered an rgv250 or rs250?

I only know of one guy who races a vtr250, he runs (from memory) midpack, against cbr250's etc, and if the others are gutless as you say then yeah.

If none of the above is a concern, I would go the vtr250. I love the frames on them, and with suspension mods around town riding would be even more of a blast. Single seat with a cowl would look the business, or even a stumpy tail. Clipons might be a little bit of a hassle as I'm fairly sure there are no bar ends.. or if there are buggered if I know how to get them off.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Oh so you want to build a cafe racer?

I'd rather a streetfighter Gixxer but whatever,

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Yeah it's just a cafe racer. If I wanted a track bike I'd get an RZ250, put in a sly 350 kit, not tell the RTA and keep it on the cheap rego. Any of these bikes would be a joke on a track. Although I will frequently use it for some spirited twisty riding.

RGV and RS aren't bikes you can easily modify and improve. With my low level of talent on such high performance bikes, there'd be no way you could make an obsevable difference on the street. I'm looking for a project for a hobby. And the pistons are a bit too happy about eating the powervalves.

You can put clip-ons on anything

Riet said:
I'd rather a streetfighter Gixxer but whatever,
Completely original 1985 slabside is my favourite faired sporty ever.

If I wanted to pay an extra $400 a year in rego I'd get an XJR1300 and do it up like a 70's endurance racer

Last edited:

toadcat

HSC
The VTR250 will probably make the most exciting one to ride, but is it really a 'classic'? It's got quite a modern style/design.

Why not go for an older 500cc bike?
If you're going to have budget issues with rego for a large displacement bike, do you really think you won't struggle with funding for the modification/restoration? What about if anything goes wrong and you need an expensive part? If you're restoring and modifying a 'classic' to take it to the track, this is going to be one fucking expensive venture, as fairings and brakes will get destroyed quickly and these will be extremely hard to replace on a classic. It's going to cost a fair bit of money and tbh, if you're just after a nice looking bike to give a fang around occasionally, just buy a RS250.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Why would you recommend an RS250?

There's a common thread between the bikes I posted. An RS250 is way out there on a whole nother level. You might as well have said "fuck these bikes, a busa is what you need". It would be equally ridiculous and innapropriate

The car equivalent would be if I made a thread saying I was trying to decide whether to buy a Celica, an MR2, or an MX5, and you came out and said I should really look at buying a lancer evo VI instead.

All these bikes were built in the 90's. They're not rare classics, these are bread and butter learner/commuter bikes. That's the idea.

An RS250 is an exotic racer, expensive to buy in decent condition and by all accounts is prone to expensive failures. They also use about 8l/100km in fuel, among other things. It is probably the most expensive motorcycle built in modern history to own and maintain. A 600cc sports bike is much cheaper.

I want to do some mild touring, so I need the reliability a big capacity bike from the 80's, or a highly tuned stroker just won't provide. I'm basically sick of shitty heaps that break down all the time and I can't afford to fix.

What kind of idiot would think about taking any of these bikes to a track? My 1.6l pulsar would be faster than any of the singles, perhaps even the twins depending on the track... Why would brakes and fairings get destroyed quickly? Brake system maintenance is time consuming, but not expensive anyway.

Last edited:

toadcat

HSC
Why would you recommend an RS250?

There's a common thread between the bikes I posted. An RS250 is way out there on a whole nother level. You might as well have said "fuck these bikes, a busa is what you need". It would be equally ridiculous and innapropriate

The car equivalent would be if I made a thread saying I was trying to decide whether to buy a Celica, an MR2, or an MX5, and you came out and said I should really look at buying a lancer evo VI instead.

All these bikes were built in the 90's. They're not rare classics, these are bread and butter learner/commuter bikes. That's the idea.

An RS250 is an exotic racer, expensive to buy in decent condition and by all accounts is prone to expensive failures. They also use about 8l/100km in fuel, among other things. It is probably the most expensive motorcycle built in modern history to own and maintain. A 600cc sports bike is much cheaper.

I want to do some mild touring, so I need the reliability a big capacity bike from the 80's, or a highly tuned stroker just won't provide. I'm basically sick of shitty heaps that break down all the time and I can't afford to fix.

What kind of idiot would think about taking any of these bikes to a track? My 1.6l pulsar would be faster than any of the singles, perhaps even the twins depending on the track... Why would brakes and fairings get destroyed quickly? Brake system maintenance is time consuming, but not expensive anyway.
Ah ok my mistake. I thought you were looking for a track bike (you started to talk about making the bike handle very well through suspension mods) or a rare ride that you'd thrash, not a daily. In that case an Aprilia is definitely not something you'd want to own. Fairing would get destroyed because on a track you're much more likely to drop it that anywhere else. Brakes are obviously used much much more on track than on road, so more wear.. I thought you meant you wanted a track fiend but for some reason wanted to have it look like a vintage classic cafe racer at the same time :\

I'd go for the Honda. You know its going to be reliable, they're capable commuters and have some grunt and they're comfortable bikes from what I've heard. Parts will be easy to find as they are quite popular too.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Nah, that's cool.

I really do want a stroker more than anything, an RZ350 to be exact. If I was going to just go for weekend blasts, with no touring, I'd definetly get a little stroker.

The whole reason I'm buying a bike (and not an mx5, as I was previously going to, and am still sorely tempted to do), is I'm planning to ride down to Tasmania with some mates for a week away some time next summer.

So I need something that won't be give us any hassles for a ride down to Melbourne to catch the spirit, a week riding in Tasmania, and back again.

walkahz

HSC
Personally i would do the Vtr and do up the motor and suspension, cause i like the modern looks and im a go before show person. But hey whatever floats ya boat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)