Which offer should I pick? The offer from maq or uts? (1 Viewer)

whoiamiswhoiam

HSC
N/A
Bachelor of engineering (honours) / Bachelor of medical science at UTS
Bachelor of engineering / Bachelor of science at Macquarie University

I'm starting uni in 23rd of feb 2015, starting date for both courses.
I got offers for both of those courses and uni's listed above and am having a hard time choosing between those two offers. Putting aside conveniency of travel, which should I choose and/or which would you choose?

I believe this is one of the most important and biggest decisions of my life and would like the opinions and judgements of others to help me make the right one
Thanks in advance :) :D

Silly Sausage

HSC
For engineering I'd say UTS since MQ's engineering is relatively new and the majority of their courses haven't been accredited by EA yet.
Btw which majors for engineering/science?? MQ has a good reputation especially for life/environmental sciences.
Also I iirc that MQ finds the internship during your fourth year for you, whereas with UTS you have to find them yourself.

Last edited:

7neoxis1337

HSC
I faced this choice last year as well.
I currently am doing Mechanical Engineering + Science (Looking at physics, could go Chemistry) at MQ with friends doing Engineering at USYD, UNSW and UTS.
From speaking with them, it seems as though that UTS' math department is usually ahead (as in they're learning content faster) than the course at MQ (Standard Math 1A & 1B, not advanced), although for physics it seems to be the other way around. The core engineering aspects at UTS seems to be a lot more practical and almost all of it are accredited by EA, while so far Engineering at MQU seems to be fairly theoretical. (Most of the major streams are accredited by EA anyways so that shouldn't be a problem at MQU).

You should ask yourself if you'd be willing to study at an institution for 5 years ( could be longer if you fail a subject here and there ) and enjoy it. To me, that question was obvious the moment i stepped into Macquarie for an Open day. The environment was so much better (the food, the lifestyle, the general feel of it) than UTS (personally opinion of course but I feel like UTS is really cramped and well..ugly) and my thoughts about it still stand now, I even have the option to transfer to a "better" uni like UNSW for engineering but I just love the environment here.

So I think you should go Macquarie, but if you're thinking about university reputation for engineering (which shouldn't matter, if you're good at one uni, you're good everywhere and you will get jobs) then people will probably say UTS as Engineering is still quite new at Macquarie (although they're getting updates every year).

Generally speaking you'll get bad and good tutors/lecturers/professors in every uni. But from what I've experienced at MQU, it seems that the Math department is fairly decent with good tutors but hard to follow lecturers, the Physics department is bloody amazing except for the stupid long Mid Sem and Finals marking times (Looking at you James Downe <----best lecturer I've had in my first year) and the Engineering department itself was quite lame first semester(there wasn't much to teach at all first semester) but got quite decent in the second half (good lecturers if you're diligent enough to self learn online and meh/ok tutors)

PS: I don't know why people love to go to UTS library to study, MQU straight up have the best library in Australia.

Last edited:

Marundanation

HSC
Macquarie Uni is also right next to a bus/train/shopping centre and much more greener! If you are going to spend 3-5 years at a Uni I'd go with Macquarie but that's just personal preference.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
UTS has good variety of food to choose from..

zxreth

HSC
Macquarie Uni is also right next to a bus/train/shopping centre and much more greener! If you are going to spend 3-5 years at a Uni I'd go with Macquarie but that's just personal preference.
And UTS isn't? LOL

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Pick a uni based on the opportunities and quality of course , not based on whether its green or close to food.

Transport is another matter, but most unis are within distance. Now uts has just opened a brand new great science building which has great facilities

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Also , uts has a higher ranking than Harvard in medical science , which is currently 5th in the world. Google >> uts kicks harvard butt in ranking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)