Which pathway to get into law is best? (1 Viewer)

J18134

HSC
From the following, is there any way thats 'better'

1) BA at UNSW and attempt to get distinction average to transfer into BA/LLB in second year. If not achieved complete Arts degree and do JD

2) BA at USYD (as their arts department is better) and then do JD at UNSW

3) BA at USYD (as their arts department is better) and then do JD at USYD.

What are the major differences in the UNSW Law program compared to the USYD Law program. Ive heard from more sources that UNSW is better.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Lets go through all the options:

1. My friend studied International Studies at UNSW and achieved a D average and managed to transfer to UNSW Law after a year. I think UNSW guarantees a certain amount of places (100 places to be exact) for internal transfers. My friend's ATAR was around the 95 mark. https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/program_trans_Law.html that's further info on the UNSW internal transfer program. They do not take into consideration your ATAR, so if you achieve great grades in first year, you have every chance of transferring. Since the WAM is the sole consideration, you should do subjects you enjoy, work hard for a year and achieve that 78-80 WAM will should definitely put you into contention. If you have a high ATAR (> 95) you can also apply through UAC which would take your WAM and ATAR into consideration for a placement in UNSW Law. Remember that the internal transfer program is not independent like UAC and hence, possibly easier to get you into Law. If you don't make it, you can apply for a JD at either UNSW or USyd, either one is fantastic, but UNSW considers just your WAM so if you maintain a D average you should make the UNSW JD program.

2. This is also a good option, USyd Arts is great, I really enjoy it and it is definitely one of the best liberal arts faculties in the country. Once again, since UNSW JD do not consider your ATAR, you would need to have a high WAM (in the 78-80 range at least, imo).

3. If you study a BA at USyd, then the JD at USyd would be the natural thing to do. The JD program at USyd comprises of 25% ATAR and 75% WAM from uni + an interview (don't quote me on this!). They recommend you to have an ATAR above 90 and a WAM in the credit range. This is bullshit. You need a WAM of at least 75 and if your ATAR is less than 90, that WAM would need to be closer to 80 (which is completely achievable if your determined and hardworking). Remember by doing a BA at USyd (or UNSW), you can apply to a JD program anywhere in Australia, provided you have a high WAm and for USyd, a decent ATAR.

Overall, the best option of these 3 is the first one. Imo you have nothing to lose by doing this and everything to gain. It opens up the opportunity to study a combined law program within 1 year, instead of a postgraduate degree. And if you don't achieve this you can still apply for a JD program at UNSW (and potentially USyd).

Remember that the JD is becoming increasingly popular these days and it is a lot easier to get into than undergrad combined law at either USyd or UNSW, thus, a lot more people are tending to do this. The competition for places in the JD program is thus increasing, so you will have to be committed 100% to uni for those 3 years if you want to get into the JD program. Also remember that ANU has a great JD program and so does UTS, if all else fails.

As for which program is better, well I currently study Arts/Law at USyd and absolutely love it. Both programs will enable you to pursue your ambitions and get you far in law, if that is what you want. I personally felt USyd's law faculty was better and had more opportunities.

Last edited:

inJust

HSC
Also, to internally transfer, UNSW takes only your WAM unlike USYD. So yeah.

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Doing a law undergrad degree allows you to finish a bit earlier. I don't go to USYD so I can't comment on what faculty and the student law society is like but at UNSW the faculty is really approachable and we have a great student Law Soc. There are many opportunities to compete in comps and they are free. If you do well and can represent the UNSW Law Soc in external comps, you get subsidised for all if not the majority of the expenses.

megaman64

HSC
For internal transfers at UNSW to comm/law do you need to be able to be doing a specific course?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
Course as in subject wise? No not really. You should be doing your com subjects though. If you mean degree, you should be doing the partner degree you want to combine with law so you don't waste subjects.

megaman64

HSC
For example If I choose comm/engineering in unsw can i get a transfer to comm/law?

Trans4M

HSC
Uni Grad
yeap :D You can then pick whether to combine law with com or engineering.

izzy88

HSC

1) BA at UNSW and attempt to get distinction average to transfer into BA/LLB in second year. If not achieved complete Arts degree and do JD

2) BA at USYD (as their arts department is better) and then do JD at UNSW

3) BA at USYD (as their arts department is better) and then do JD at USYD.

What are the major differences in the UNSW Law program compared to the USYD Law program. Ive heard from more sources that UNSW is better.
Options 2 and 3 are pretty much the same - if you go do arts at usyd, then apply for law at both unsw and usyd and if you get both, then consider which one you might like to do (you never know what will change in 3 years).

Other things to consider when picking university - distance/public transport from where you'll be living; co-curricular activities offered by the university, union or law society; feel/vibe of the campus; it's also good to consider your other degree (eg. arts - does UNSW offer what you want to do in arts?)

As for transfer, you could also go to usyd and attempt to transfer after first year - the faculty usually recommends an atar over 97 and D average at uni, but from what i hear you generally need an atar quite a bit higher than 97 - although in the end it all depends on demand.

As for differences between unsw law vs usyd law - they've been quite a few threads on that in here, and I know I've given a couple of opinions/views on my experiences of usyd law so here are some links: Hope it is useful. :)
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=286583&highlight=law

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=273463&highlight=law

shannan94

HSC

I just fell short of the required atar so that is pretty much what i'm planning to do. Just deciding which course i'll take first year that I can be most competitive in getting high marks for the transfer.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
I just fell short of the required atar so that is pretty much what i'm planning to do. Just deciding which course i'll take first year that I can be most competitive in getting high marks for the transfer.
Remember for UNSW Law internal transfer, your ATAR doesn't count, so you should apply through UAC as well which will take into account 50% ATAR and 50% WAM.

shannan94

HSC
Remember for UNSW Law internal transfer, your ATAR doesn't count, so you should apply through UAC as well which will take into account 50% ATAR and 50% WAM.
Oh don't worry, i have this well researched ;)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Has doing an undergrad law course not at USYD/UNSW been a consideration also?

Food for thought if you are really keen to get into law straight away.

ali2536

HSC
What ATAR is required to transfer into law at UNSW? :)

shannan94

HSC
Has doing an undergrad law course not at USYD/UNSW been a consideration also?

Food for thought if you are really keen to get into law straight away.
Yeah I put on my preferences macq law/comm but i'm not a big fan of the university and if I do end up going there, i'll probably transfer out after the first year. I'd much rather study at UNSW.

What ATAR is required to transfer into law at UNSW? :)
It's now based on your performance in your current university course, so basically the WAM or weighted average mark within your first year of study. Or if you apply through uac from another institution its 50% atar and 50% WAM or entirely WAM, whichever is higher of the two.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I put on my preferences macq law/comm but i'm not a big fan of the university and if I do end up going there, i'll probably transfer out after the first year. I'd much rather study at UNSW.
See, if you do Com/Law at MQ, you lose the opportunity of an internal transfer to UNSW Law, which would be much easier (say, if you studied Arts) than an external transfer comprising the 50% ATAR and 50% WAM combination studying commerce & law (two of the most difficult degrees you can study together at uni) at MQ.

izzy88

HSC
Does the course impact your WAM? Is it harder to maintain a WAM of 75 in Eco, Comm or Science than it is in Arts?
It depends what you are good at and what you enjoy. Some people struggle with commerce, others struggle with arts subjects like history or philosophy etc. It's a very subjective question as to what you will do well in (and no one can really guess that for you). My advice would be to do what you want to do. You generally will do better in subjects that you have an interest in and want to do the work.

ali2536

HSC
See, if you do Com/Law at MQ, you lose the opportunity of an internal transfer to UNSW Law, which would be much easier (say, if you studied Arts) than an external transfer comprising the 50% ATAR and 50% WAM combination studying commerce & law (two of the most difficult degrees you can study together at uni) at MQ.
How hard is it to get into to UNSW Law via internal transfer? Is is quite competitive? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)