Which Smartphone? (1 Viewer)

ShadowLighte

HSC
This is pretty vague and nondescript but that's kind of the point. I've never had a phone before and I'm in Year 12 (I don't actually have a need for it but I mean, it's time right?). I'd like you guys to suggest the phones that you have or that are good for teenagers/ young adults like the majority of us. So far, I've had my eye on the HTC One but apparently the camera quality is really crappy and also that the HTC One 2 is coming out within the next month or soon anyway (also Samsung Galaxy 5s) so I'm going to wait a little before deciding.

What are your opinions on the Samsung Galaxies and iPhones and whatnot? They're all very mainstream but they have to be good for people to buy them.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
This is pretty vague and nondescript but that's kind of the point. I've never had a phone before and I'm in Year 12 (I don't actually have a need for it but I mean, it's time right?). I'd like you guys to suggest the phones that you have or that are good for teenagers/ young adults like the majority of us. So far, I've had my eye on the HTC One but apparently the camera quality is really crappy and also that the HTC One 2 is coming out within the next month or soon anyway (also Samsung Galaxy 5s) so I'm going to wait a little before deciding.

What are your opinions on the Samsung Galaxies and iPhones and whatnot? They're all very mainstream but they have to be good for people to buy them.
In good lighting, it's up to par but in lower light environments, it's horrendous.

If camera quality is something you're looking at, I hear the iPhone is great in that regard.

ebbygoo

HSC

Depends on what you're willing to spend. The Lumia line is very good quality for their price but the operating system Windows 8.1 is still developing and the number of apps you can get is limited compared to an android or iOS phone.
The iPhone is good as a first phone due to their simplicity, and also you will get free messaging to other iPhones through iMessage (yes, there are many messaging apps you can buy but IMO iMessage just too convenient).
The HTC One is a very nice looking phone but a don't buy atm with the One 2 coming soon.
I have an S4 and it is good, except, wouldn't be my preferred choice if I could pick again; the S5 doesn't cut it for me personally.
Like OzKo said, the iPhone camera is good. The best camera, however, is easily on the Lumia 1020, so if its camera quality driving your decision, I would go with it.
If you wanna talk about it more, I can give you heaps more details and info to help you decide if you PM me (I am a tech enthusiast; its my hobby looking at this stuff).
TBH I would not recommend the BlackBerry; poor quality IMO and not gonna last long in current market.

Overall, considering its your first phone, I would probably recommend an iPhone, as it will satisfy the camera side of it, the ease of use as a first phone, and iMessages.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
FYI, all cameras ( phone) have bad image quality. Blow it up and it's all pixelated.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
FYI, all cameras ( phone) have bad image quality. Blow it up and it's all pixelated.
Of course! Camera phones are not designed for professional photography (though I can imagine at some point in the future they'll be the same quality as today's best DSLR cameras).

Very few photos from the camera phone actually get printed properly etc. Most of them are to upload on Facebook or some sort of social media, in which case the quality of the camera phone is more than sufficient since FB has to compress the image quality anyway. So if you took a photo with a $10,000 camera and then the same photo with one of the better phone cameras (Lumia) and then upload the photo on FB for example, then the difference will be greatly reduced due to the file compression.

ebbygoo

HSC
Of course! Camera phones are not designed for professional photography (though I can imagine at some point in the future they'll be the same quality as today's best DSLR cameras).

Very few photos from the camera phone actually get printed properly etc. Most of them are to upload on Facebook or some sort of social media, in which case the quality of the camera phone is more than sufficient since FB has to compress the image quality anyway. So if you took a photo with a $10,000 camera and then the same photo with one of the better phone cameras (Lumia) and then upload the photo on FB for example, then the difference will be greatly reduced due to the file compression.
Unless you have a 1020. The camera in that thing is cray.

pHyRe

HSC
grab a nexus if you're looking for a good phone with a cheap price tag.

else look at HTC for a bit more expensive and marginally better phone (with slower updates from Google). Motorola is another option too

ebbygoo

HSC
The Nexus is nice too for a cheap android phone, except camera not that flash and also if youre not too good with phones android might be overwhelming as a first operating system.

ShadowLighte

HSC
Price isn't a problem and yeah, I get the camera quality thing. There are just so many good quality phones on the market nowadays, so hard to choose. Also with new ones being released quite often. Not too keen on the iPhone, I have an iTouch so it's basically the same. I guess I'll wait until the HTC One 2 comes out and check it out. Also, even though I'm not a phone user, doesn't mean I'm technology illiterate or anything LOL - I have to help my parents all the time.

Thanks for the responses.

ebbygoo

HSC
Price isn't a problem and yeah, I get the camera quality thing. There are just so many good quality phones on the market nowadays, so hard to choose. Also with new ones being released quite often. Not too keen on the iPhone, I have an iTouch so it's basically the same. I guess I'll wait until the HTC One 2 comes out and check it out. Also, even though I'm not a phone user, doesn't mean I'm technology illiterate or anything LOL - I have to help my parents all the time.

Thanks for the responses.

Meh didnt know if you were or not.

In that case, I'd wait for the One Two (LOL JUST GOT IT), the xperia z2, the note 3, or look at the 1020 if you buying on camera quality except the limited apps problem.
The Note 3 if you want a bigger phone and like the stylus thing (which I personally don't).

The Xperia Z2 is another very nice phone; to be perfectly honest, it is probably the best suited to your wants;
- Very nice design
- Android
- Waterproof
- Very good specs
- Good camera; shoots 4k video.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
(I don't actually have a need for it but I mean, it's time right?).
If you don't need it now, then wait later until you need one. That way you get to use the extra functions at the right time of the highest quality for the same price before it becomes old and breaks when you need it if you buy it now.

Patience is a virtue you must use properly to get results.

ebbygoo

HSC
Still reckon go the xperia 1020 or one two

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

GolfGirl97

back from the dead
HSC
Should get High end sony phone. I have the Xperia U at the moment. Ive had it since 2012. Pretty good. Need a new phone. I want to try the iPhone but idk. But yeah try a higher wnd Sony phonw bc im sure thatd be awesome :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)