• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Which uni do you think is the most prestigious (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazyBoy

HSC
funky_a said:
LazyBoy- UWS's low cut-offs is not what gives its reputation. It's people who think getting into a renowned uni is like being 'the chosen ones'. Eg, unis like CSU, ACU and SCU all offer courses with lower UAI compared to city unis. Like UWS, this encourages more people to go to uni and gives those who aren't the typical achievers the chance to study at uni.
im not saying it gives it its reputation, i would say it adds to it. People have the impression that because the UAI is low, the candidature of people are lesser than those who got into USYD, it may not be true but without knowing exactly what the UAI is (which most people do not) it is another fair assumption.

What i was trying to say is the lower UAI's are a statement about the popularity of the university. The same with the country universities. They are all good universities, but for the country ones they have low uai's because people do not wish to travel or move to the country. My question is why other then reputation alone (and the ammount of places offered) would the UAI of UWS be lower?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I agree with polok. Natstar just give up, people will continue to flame your uni just for a response, and so long as you keep giving that to them they're not going to stop. And as I see it you flame the majority of usyd and unsw for being "snobs", I don't see how this is any different to people saying UWS is a shit uni.

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
LazyBoy- Because it offers residents of Sydney's West better chances of going to university. Its a cold hard fact that Western Sydney is perceived to have high-rate of working-class families and disadvantaged schools. Schemes such as the RET test and EAS schemes allows students who has problems (eg sickness in the family, insufficient income to pay for things like tuition) to have somewhat of a 'second chance'. I might not know the exact reason as to why UWS's cut-offs are so low. A course at may be USyd is UAI 85+ and at UWS it is UAI 70, but that does not mean that the university is incapable of attracting future-lawyers. I believed it is just giving more people the chances to become what they didn't think they would be.

LazyBoy

HSC
im not talking about RET and EAS schemes. Im talking about regular UAC entry, the courses are all lowere than others. Law itself i think is 5 points lower, its still high 90's which is still quite high, therefore its still very popular. So on face value theres proof that its enough to attract future lawyers. But some of the courses there must be a reason why uai is low. When the uai is just supply and demmand. A low uai means that Supply is very high, and demand is very low. Unless im wrong about UAI, so i beleive it would be interesting to see why demand is very low. Is it that the people from the west have lower uai's? (not that only people from the west go to UWS) or people with higher uai's go to the more 'prestigious' universities in the city? This is not meant to be bashing UWS but i think they are interesting and fair questions.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
This thread is boring. Let's talk about prestige of suburbs. Kellyville's a hole! :p

LazyBoy

HSC
haha i think that would cause even more arguments than this topic :p.

But Luckily ive been rezoned into "North Kellyville" :p

LazyBoy

HSC
guys lets save the he said she said shit for kindergarten. We all have varying opinions on things. I have heard the term 'stir the pot' beeing used, and yes this is a thread that does stir the proverbial pot. With that said theres no reason why it cant stay an interlectual debate. With threads like this is best to avoid criticising someone individually.

LazyBoy

HSC
natstar said:
UWS offered an extra 11,000 places this year. Becuase there is more places avaliable, then UAI cutoffs will be decreased
i am aware of that. But all that means is demand for those courses has not risen. And that particular point is what im interested in. Why is the demand for for UWS much lower then other universities?

HerO

Banned
69 Penis Avenue, Dickton Pussyville 6969.
HSC
natstar said:
Im not critising uni's, im critising the people that go there. I never said that non USYD students do not critise UWS too, i made an observation that its is primarily USYD students critising UWS.
I have never said also, that USYD is not th emost prestigious uni around, i agree wholeheartly that is is, im not denying that.
The definition you just provided can be manipulated. Just becuase it does not impress you, does not mean it does not impress others. Just becuase it doesent influence you, does not mean it cant influence others.
UWS and USYD are imcomparable as UWS was established in 1989, while USYD in the 1800's. I fyou can think you can compare these 2 uni's in terms of wealth and sucess, you cant. UWS has not had the time to establish a name for itself.
UWS has not had time to produce top graduates- if you are referring to academics who normally have to have a PHd- its only been open 15 years, most academics today got their PHd a long time before that.
Architecture- who bases a uni on arcitecture. Have you seen some of UWS's buildings. It may not be old, but some buildings have a distinct uniquiness, that is interesting to look at. Sure we dont have sandstone buildings, but then again, the uni was established in 1989, not 1800 and somehting.
If you are calling me not open minded then done. You are th eone who is not being open minded. You have made no effort to do your research, and you are only seeing what you chooose to see.
With being only established in 1989, UWS will too, serve future students, it will get better as a uni year by year.
I am only defending my uni becuase im sick of the bad mouthing about it. And as I said, I am not denying USYD is most prestigious, but its prtty sad for people like you who only care about a universities prestige, rather than the quality of education we as students will get regardless of what uni we go too.
Yep, it's needless to say that Usyd and UWS are incomparable, even u have said that, that's the whole point of the thread, Usyd = most pretigious, UWS = Not as prestigous (probably bottom 3..........................lol j/k).

Anywayz since u have admitted UWS is a fairly young Uni and haven't had the chance to establish itself yet, it's prefectly appropriate 4 people to criticise and bad-mouth ur Uni since everything is true and correct, just cop it, think about it and move on.

Sure UWS will also serve future students, but 4 how long?...Just the other day I saw in the news something about UWS abolishing major courses because there were no funding or something like that!

I don't only care about prestige, of course i care about the quality of the education too, but don't u think when there's prestige there's quality education and vice versa?...if not, then why is Usyd and the other top uni's so much in demand against all the other Unis? :cool:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Quality education? Can I ask where most USYD and UNSW lecturers have graduated from??? I guess one of those unis. I hate to say, but many lecturers (well the ones I have encounted) at UWS graduated at USYD and UNSW, its just that they wanted to teach in a specific field which was not offered that those unis.

And you know absolutely nothing about the financial situation of UWS - so don't critise it for cutting courses. USYD cut their nursing course - and nursing is one of those careers which are needed for society in general. How about instead of critising UWS critise the government for not giving the uni enough funding. Atleast UWS makes the average person able to afford university.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
natstar said:
Ive never said anything about either of the uni's- never UNSW. Ive only said "stuff" about USYD students being snobs- but never about the uni itself.
So it's alright to criticise people who go to a uni, but when the uni itself is criticised it's wrong?

LazyBoy

HSC
okay HerO your in for a thrashing. i think you just started a war. lol

I think it depends what they are bad mouthing. They cant just say its a shit uni. Becuase it isnt. But they can say the uni has a shit rep and hardly anyone wnats to go there. Because its true. Remember people do go there, it is a decent university education wise. Its biggest problem is an image problem. Something natstar beeing a marketing major should understand.

I do think prestigue is something people think about when going to uni, it brings me back to the whole point of this thread and something i said earlier. If you asked every uni student in australia that they could go and do any course at any uni regardless of uai and places what would you choose. I think that, would go mostly to the most prestigious uni.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
If I happened to get a uai of 100 and was allowed to go to any university in the whole entire world - i'd still be going to UWS. I don't care if it takes over 2 hours to get to the campus, I don't care if its got a so called "low reputation" what I care about is the fact that not many university actually offer a tourism degree - without doing all the commerce stuff - and of those unis that do offer a tourism degree - even less offer it with ecotourism. And UWS allows me to major in whatever I want and lets me choose how I want to study the degree and I can choose electives from whatever fields of study I am the most interested in.

LazyBoy

HSC
Cape said:
Quality education? Can I ask where most USYD and UNSW lecturers have graduated from??? I guess one of those unis. I hate to say, but many lecturers (well the ones I have encounted) at UWS graduated at USYD and UNSW, its just that they wanted to teach in a specific field which was not offered that those unis.

And you know absolutely nothing about the financial situation of UWS - so don't critise it for cutting courses. USYD cut their nursing course - and nursing is one of those careers which are needed for society in general. How about instead of critising UWS critise the government for not giving the uni enough funding. Atleast UWS makes the average person able to afford university.
Correct me if im wrong but didnt UWS cut teaching from there course list? (im unsure if this is correct so im looking for confirmation) but if they did, isnt that just as needed as nursing.

They didnt raise HECS because they increased places. But any financial problems that UWS have, are because they have a bad reputation and dont get many international students or full fee paying students.

HerO

Banned
69 Penis Avenue, Dickton Pussyville 6969.
HSC
withoutaface said:
So it's alright to criticise people who go to a uni, but when the uni itself is criticised it's wrong?
Very true, what i have been able to gather is that natstar often contradicts herself, and in most times tries to ignore the previous stuff she has already said.

In fact i think that was such a good post, I repped u, although i'm not sure if it worked.

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
What did natstar say before about international students? UWS has one of the largest numbers of international students.
Has it occurred to you that the goal of a university is not to raise money? Instead it is to offer anybody who wants a degree a chance to have a degree. Which is why full feeing places are not offered at UWS.

And yes, they cut a teaching course, BUT not every teaching course, there are still teaching courses that you can do.

LazyBoy

HSC
HerO said:
Very true, what i have been able to gather is that natstar often contradicts herself, and in most times tries to ignore the previous stuff she has already said.
Agreed. But me smells a thread closing soon :( even though the conversation is actually starting to get interesting.

LazyBoy

HSC
Cape said:
What did natstar say before about international students? UWS has one of the largest numbers of international students.
Has it occurred to you that the goal of a university is not to raise money? Instead it is to offer anybody who wants a degree a chance to have a degree. Which is why full feeing places are not offered at UWS.

And yes, they cut a teaching course, BUT not every teaching course, there are still teaching courses that you can do.
okay thanks for correcting me. But gathering money is needed to provide adequate services for students. Money = Resources = Quality Education. in theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)