which uni is more prestigious: MACQ OR UTS?????? (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
Cherry pick samples to prove a generalisation LMAO then am I to take a census of tertiary educated graduates in Australia then? A sample is more than representative of a trend which is that a mix of good grades, experience in the field and a solid resume/cv can guarantee most graduates a position in industry of choice. Are you really placing emphasis on university name over all this? Ridiculous.

Rankings are meaningless as they are done based on qualitative data prone to individual subjectivity. You can argue Harvard is the best university in the world but that would be meaningless to those attending MIT, Stanford, Oxford etc who'd think different.
you dont need to take a census because universities already do that - why? because it important to them and to the people considering which university to join

you need to compare apples to apples
ie, if the same individual had everything else on their reseume being equal and the only difference is which uni they went to

and yes it matters

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
you dont need to take a census because universities already do that - why? because it important to them and to the people considering which university to join

you need to compare apples to apples
ie, if the same individual had everything else on their reseume being equal and the only difference is which uni they went to

and yes it matters
I call BS on that sentence.

Unless the industry has been a traditionally 'old boy network' such as investment banks within Wall Street (e.g. Goldman Sachs who have a close affiliation to Ivy League colleges in particular Harvard grads), where employment is based on your graduate school. There are rarely any cases in Australia where individuals are chosen solely over another due to their schooling background.

It's the final face-to-face interview as well as the interviewee's first impression that would be the ultimate factor to an individual's success in employment.

is a roflcopter
HSC
as i said, if all other things being equal, they will just pick the guy from the better uni

why are you so worked up about this - its pretty obvious what im saying is true

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
as i said, if all other things being equal, they will just pick the guy from the better uni

why are you so worked up about this - its pretty obvious what im saying is true
It's not? :s

is a roflcopter
HSC
It's not? :s
No point debating, you can believe what you believe

Do you go to Macq? dont feel to bad, the acturial program is great there
and...at least its not UWS right!

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
No point debating, you can believe what you believe

Do you go to Macq? dont feel to bad, the acturial program is great there
and...at least its not UWS right!
Yeah I go to Macquarie out of choice. The actuarial program is the probably the best in the state. You also shouldn't defame UWS like that. You never know who or where your employer went to for their education.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I call BS on that sentence.

Unless the industry has been a traditionally 'old boy network' such as investment banks within Wall Street (e.g. Goldman Sachs who have a close affiliation to Ivy League colleges in particular Harvard grads), where employment is based on your graduate school. There are rarely any cases in Australia where individuals are chosen solely over another due to their schooling background.

It's the final face-to-face interview as well as the interviewee's first impression that would be the ultimate factor to an individual's success in employment.
Agreed the final face to face interview (or group) will make the biggest impact but the question is whether you even get to the interview stage IMO.

Good point about you never know which school XXX went to- I have had a few near misses before back in my younger days.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I go to Macquarie out of choice. The actuarial program is the probably the best in the state. You also shouldn't defame UWS like that. You never know who or where your employer went to for their education.
Everyone knows Macquarie is the place to go for Actuarial. I don't think anyone is doubting that.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed the final face to face interview (or group) will make the biggest impact but the question is whether you even get to the interview stage IMO.

Good point about you never know which school XXX went to- I have had a few near misses before back in my younger days.
Oh really? Lol can you explain further details?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh really? Lol can you explain further details?
Many times I've met clients/partners/etc who either have had children who went to XXX, or they themselves went to XXX. You have to remember that the impressions and views we have on both educational institutions and employers change significantly over time.

Just a few days ago, I met a CFO who went to a local government high school in the Hills district.

One of the realities of life is that your academic background only gets you so far- and that many of the top jobs are filled by people not necessarily from the best schools but rather, they have shown some other characteristic which made them suitable and progress up the ladder.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
Many times I've met clients/partners/etc who either have had children who went to XXX, or they themselves went to XXX. You have to remember that the impressions and views we have on both educational institutions and employers change significantly over time.

Just a few days ago, I met a CFO who went to a local government high school in the Hills district.

One of the realities of life is that your academic background only gets you so far- and that many of the top jobs are filled by people not necessarily from the best schools but rather, they have shown some other characteristic which made them suitable and progress up the ladder.
Indeed.

Especially in your line of work which I assume is within financial services, competition would be extremely high amongst graduates to entry level positions. Many are deluded by the fact that it is the individual and what skills they are able to bring to the company that is considered when employers hand out promotions, not necessarily their education background or the institution in which they completed their studies at.

Otherwise our whole world would be run by a bunch of narrow-minded, pretentious pricks. Oh wait :haha:

is a roflcopter
HSC
They didnt go UWS dont worry, my firm doesnt accept applications from there - i guess thats the point of this thread right? you dont even get a chance to show what you can do, your online application just gets binned

noone is talking about success later on in life blah blah blah - you are missing the point here.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ But how do you know their kids didn't? Or spouse? I think Davdav has a point (i.e. you never know who you might be insulting with stereotypes or biased views) but he isn't very good at staying on topic (i.e. whether or not the university is prestigious and how employers view this in the recruitment process).

is a roflcopter
HSC
^ But how do you know their kids didn't? Or spouse? I think Davdav has a point (i.e. you never know who you might be insulting with stereotypes or biased views) but he isn't very good at staying on topic (i.e. whether or not the university is prestigious and how employers view this in the recruitment process).
lol obviously i dont run around making fun of UWS people in real life or anything haha

Always gotta be politically correct until the client/boss gets comfortable with you in a social setting. then it becomes a good way to build rapport. Asian CEO's love making fun of indians for example LOL i feel bad sometimes

and the setting I'm in, surrounded by harvard/oxbridge people, im the "UWS" of the group.
Oh you went to University of New South Wales -? whats that?? LOLOL

is a roflcopter
HSC
Another recruiting story from this year...to address the point that its always about the final interview, the individual blah blah blah

Boss goes to Newbie - hey man heres someone from my MIT alumni network, his son is looking for something to do this summer, he is going to MIT too. Newbie your kids should go MIT, blah blah blah

Newbie looks at resume, its pretty ordinary 3.4GPA, random internships, random extracurrciular sht

Newbie: but err we are already pretty full on the applicants this summer and I submitted the list to HR already...

Boss looks at Newbie and smiles - "yeah his a good friend of mine, why dont you see what you can do". Newbie gives boss the thumbs up

Newbie emails HR to replace another candidate with this one. Just to make it less conspicuous, Newbie removes someone good but from a crappier university. No contraversy since noone cares about people from crappy universities (University of michigan in this case)

MIT guy gets in. Newbie wins brownie points

is a roflcopter
HSC
and davdav i noticed you are korean.

so im disappointed that you dont get it given korea is the country with the biggest hard-on for university prestige with people suiciding each year because they cant handle the stress of the college exam. the entire country has a singular purpose in life of getting their kids into a prestigious uni. I remember one year my flight into seoul was delayed by 2 hours because theres some law on the day of the university entrance exam that there be no planes could fly in during the morning (?) - was late as sht to the clients but he was understanding (normally they would yell the sht out of us if we were late)

you already know that korean families blow their life savings on tutoring colleges so their kids can get into the 3 SKY (Seoul National, Korea U, Yonsei) universities. And if you are a little bit more wealthy, then you blow more money sending them to ivy leagues in the US. you should also know that the big companies in korea only recruit out of the best universities to the point its actually fking up their economy (some reports saying 25% youth unemployment, although official figures at like 8%)

you should tell your relatives that prestige doesnt matter lol

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Another recruiting story from this year...to address the point that its always about the final interview, the individual blah blah blah

Boss goes to Newbie - hey man heres someone from my MIT alumni network, his son is looking for something to do this summer, he is going to MIT too. Newbie your kids should go MIT, blah blah blah

Newbie looks at resume, its pretty ordinary 3.4GPA, random internships, random extracurrciular sht

Newbie: but err we are already pretty full on the applicants this summer and I submitted the list to HR already...

Boss looks at Newbie and smiles - "yeah his a good friend of mine, why dont you see what you can do". Newbie gives boss the thumbs up

Newbie emails HR to replace another candidate with this one. Just to make it less conspicuous, Newbie removes someone good but from a crappier university. No contraversy since noone cares about people from crappy universities (University of michigan in this case)

MIT guy gets in. Newbie wins brownie points
You totally need to start a blog :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)