• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

which uni's give exemptions with getting in Uni a with advanced diploma?? (2 Viewers)

HSC
yeah, i've now thought about it and will go for Macquarie.. and so on..
you guys think i have a chance of making it in... im really really eager and i have done alot of community work etc.. and i have a passion for international business etc.... i have 5 destinctions 6 credits and 2 passes ... so far..

thanks ppl for the help

Tabris

HSC
If u can make it into the SYdney institute of business and technology....u can improve your chances to get into Macq.....

The 1st year level units are basically compulsery 1st year level unts for some subjects.....(some exceptions) and anyway Macq is very well known for its commerce degrees....

And also if u want to transfer internally, its quite easy too

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Students transferring into the BIntB from other degree programs may be allowed. The minimum transfer requirements are completion of 12 credit points at an overall grade point average of 2.25 or above. This generally means achieving a minimum two passes and two credits in four units, but may vary where the units studied are worth other than 3 credit points.

Just a little pointer :)

http://www.gacc.mq.edu.au/mib.htm

And the subsequent M IntB if you are so inclined.

Can't really comment on whether its better than UTS, since i don't do anything related :)

HSC
Yeah, it is a really interesting area to study... and SIBT i heard about it but chose martin college as i can do two diplomas in one (Business management and International Business)... i really think Macquarie has more prestige than UTS.. am i right?? and Macquarie is more easy to do internal transfers.. hey 'natstar' the friends you know doing International Bus. are they doing it at UWS with you or another uni?? thanks..

Tabris

HSC
Macquarie is quite easy to transfer.... B commerce degree with any major (Except act) i think requres GPA 2.25, which means at least 3 passes and 1 credit...

I think law was 2.5 GPA (half credit and half pass) correct me if i am wrong, and also they have a quota,

as u can see Macq is pretty lenient...... and also one third of students in the uni study for an economic/finance/commerce degree.

In terms of prestige..... i think Macq gets it... over UTS but sort of behind compared to UNSW and USYD (but i think Macq is very very much ahead of UNSW in act. stud.)

X

xeuyrawp

Tabris said:
Macquarie is quite easy to transfer.... B commerce degree with any major (Except act) i think requres GPA 2.25, which means at least 3 passes and 1 credit...

I think law was 2.5 GPA (half credit and half pass) correct me if i am wrong, and also they have a quota,

as u can see Macq is pretty lenient...... and also one third of students in the uni study for an economic/finance/commerce degree.

In terms of prestige..... i think Macq gets it... over UTS but sort of behind compared to UNSW and USYD (but i think Macq is very very much ahead of UNSW in act. stud.)
Re law GPA. They officially say you need a GPA of 2.25 (remember that most people don't use our GPA system), where 2 = pass and 3 = credit. You need, though, a GPA of 3.5 (4 = D and HD) at least in order to even consider getting a place. Just due to the competitiveness of it.

With commerce et al, you just need the advertised GPA, 2.25 as you say.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
little-rat-boi said:
Yeah, it is a really interesting area to study... and SIBT i heard about it but chose martin college as i can do two diplomas in one (Business management and International Business)... i really think Macquarie has more prestige than UTS.. am i right?? and Macquarie is more easy to do internal transfers.. hey 'natstar' the friends you know doing International Bus. are they doing it at UWS with you or another uni?? thanks..
DOUBLE DIPLOMAS

Students who have completed a diploma may obtain a Double Diploma by taking four additional units. For example, students who complete a Diploma of Commerce may also earn a Diploma of Computing by completing four additional computing units. If you are interested in obtaining a Double Diploma please contact the SIBT Student Advisory Team for further information.

http://www.sibt.nsw.edu.au/University.htm

I still think its better to end up through SIBT if you're seriously considering going to MQ, since all the studies and units you do will count towards future courses, whereas the Martin College stuff may or may not count.

HSC
ooo i didnt see that, you think i can get exemptions i have done half the course at martin, you reckon ill get half exemptions from SIBT?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
You'd have to ask them to be sure, i cant really state whether or not they'd accept it.

HSC
hello people i got a major emergency,

i have emailed SIBT and they said this:

i can apply for SIBT 2nd semester which has already started but i will have to go to SIBT not knowing if i will get exemptions or not till after 4 weeks of enrolling because for me to get in this semester which started today i will have to go in straight away but knowing my exemptions till after 4 weeks.....

so my delimma is.. go to SIBT and gurantee me a postion at macquarie (not knowing if i will get exemptions or not) or stay and martin college and continue with my diploma there and just hope ill make it in... ??

any advice will help

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The reasoning behind why i think your diploma wouldnt count, is that SIBT is direct entry into Macquarie, rather than a separate degree. The units you do in there, are ACTUAL units you would do in your degree.

If you're keen on Macquarie, id suggest just going into SIBT, and worrying about exemptions later.

HSC
i went to SIBT today and it was not what i expected...

i had a interview conducted on a table in the open.. (no office or anything, no confidentialty), the service was really crappy and unorganised, sorta rushed... the lady that was consulting me said that i will get no exemptions as martin college units where very vocational.. and that i will be granted an offer as univeristy foundations 70% offer, which means i have to do that for one semester (4months) and get a total average of 70% or higher... and if i achieve that i get granted a diploma offer in which i finish in 2 semesters (8months) so if i choose to accept the offer i will finish this course in june of next year...

i have chosen to not accept the offer and continue my course with martin college, as i would be wasting my money going to SIBT where i get no exemptions for what i recently done. And i got half my course to go at martin! so in the end martin college is my choice... and just will complete the rest of my course there

do i do the right thing??

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

little-rat-boi said:
i went to SIBT today and it was not what i expected...

i had a interview conducted on a table in the open.. (no office or anything, no confidentialty), the service was really crappy and unorganised, sorta rushed... the lady that was consulting me said that i will get no exemptions as martin college units where very vocational.. and that i will be granted an offer as univeristy foundations 70% offer, which means i have to do that for one semester (4months) and get a total average of 70% or higher... and if i achieve that i get granted a diploma offer in which i finish in 2 semesters (8months) so if i choose to accept the offer i will finish this course in june of next year...

i have chosen to not accept the offer and continue my course with martin college, as i would be wasting my money going to SIBT where i get no exemptions for what i recently done. And i got half my course to go at martin! so in the end martin college is my choice... and just will complete the rest of my course there

do i do the right thing??
I'm going to say this once more. You got a shit UAI. I also wouldn't expect them to grovel over someone who says "unorganised".

Based on what you have said, your best decision would be to complete your Martin College stuff, then see if you can get into SIBT and then into macq.

Don't expect that you should have the right or privilege to attend uni. You messed up the HSC, you'll have to deal with it. Dealing with it means you'll have to finish your MC diploma, transfer into SIBT, then finally transfer into a degree.

Goint to uni after your MC Diploma is best because 1. you might not like uni, and 2. you might not pass uni: If you left your MC degree, you might be burning bridges, so to speak.

I hope you didn't decline the SIBT offer badly, because that could ruin further chances at macq.

Essentially, don't think you can rush into a degree where people worked their 18-yo butts off for. You don't even know if you'll go well or even like it.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hmm, i didnt think they'd accept the Martin College stuff.

But by staying on and doing the diploma, are you still aiming to get into uni? Cos if i understand, you wont get any recognition if you finished it at Martin and wanted to get into SIBT/MQ.

Additionally, the "disorganisation" may be due to the fact that the term has already started :)

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Hmm, i didnt think they'd accept the Martin College stuff.

But by staying on and doing the diploma, are you still aiming to get into uni? Cos if i understand, you wont get any recognition if you finished it at Martin and wanted to get into SIBT/MQ.

Additionally, the "disorganisation" may be due to the fact that the term has already started :)
I think what he said (I'm sorry if I'm playing semantics), that although macquarie wouldn't count MC units and absorb them into the SIBT degree as "units done" or even "prereqs", the MC degree itself would give him stead to apply for the SIBT degree.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
"the lady that was consulting me said that i will get no exemptions as martin college units where very vocational.. and that i will be granted an offer as univeristy foundations 70% offer, which means i have to do that for one semester (4months) and get a total average of 70% or higher... and if i achieve that i get granted a diploma offer in which i finish in 2 semesters (8months) so if i choose to accept the offer i will finish this course in june of next year..."

Hmm, i think otherwise, since SIBT is basically the diploma course of MQ degrees/courses. That's why i didnt think he'd get any concessions, as you're basically doing the degree course, albeit on an easier level. I think that it was:

Enrol into SIBT (no concessions/exemptions) under a 'foundations' offer (seeing as he has completed some in MC) with the requisite of the 70% pass to attain an offer for an actual diploma (8 month course, im assuming its the fast tracked one).

*shrugs* Its all theoretical now.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
"the lady that was consulting me said that i will get no exemptions as martin college units where very vocational.. and that i will be granted an offer as univeristy foundations 70% offer, which means i have to do that for one semester (4months) and get a total average of 70% or higher... and if i achieve that i get granted a diploma offer in which i finish in 2 semesters (8months) so if i choose to accept the offer i will finish this course in june of next year..."

Hmm, i think otherwise, since SIBT is basically the diploma course of MQ degrees/courses. That's why i didnt think he'd get any concessions, as you're basically doing the degree course, albeit on an easier level. I think that it was:

Enrol into SIBT (no concessions/exemptions) under a 'foundations' offer (seeing as he has completed some in MC) with the requisite of the 70% pass to attain an offer for an actual diploma (8 month course, im assuming its the fast tracked one).

*shrugs* Its all theoretical now.
ARgh, I don't understand. I hope he gets in, because he's passionate, but he has to understand that he will need to work hard and wait in line behind those that passed the HSC.

HSC
yeah i got the 70% offer so 4units of university foundations course.. where i;d have to get an average of 70% then will gain an offer for diploma..

yeah i know i did crap at HSC.. but i cant do anything about it now... so i think i will continue with my Martin college diploma and finish it since i paid $12,000 to do it, and yeah i told martin i will continue to finish.. if i dont make it in uni with my MC diploma then i will goto SIBT next year and complete it

thanks for the help guys

X

xeuyrawp

little-rat-boi said:
yeah i got the 70% offer so 4units of university foundations course.. where i;d have to get an average of 70% then will gain an offer for diploma..

yeah i know i did crap at HSC.. but i cant do anything about it now... so i think i will continue with my Martin college diploma and finish it since i paid $12,000 to do it, and yeah i told martin i will continue to finish.. if i dont make it in uni with my MC diploma then i will goto SIBT next year and complete it

thanks for the help guys
Glad we could help. Hope all goes well.

HSC
hey ppl again,

i've rethinked on what to do and have chosen to do SIBT, with the 70% cert offer.

I am doing it as im always going to regret it if i dont do it, so im going to give it a go and im enrolling tomorrow (thursday).

hehe just thought i'd give you guys an update

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)