who Actually likes english? (1 Viewer)

mr.tos

HSC
English is the most bullshit subject out. In year 11 I obtained an average of 80% in advanced without ever reading one page of a novel!!

Just throw in a few big words, so it sounds like you know what your talking about and you'll be right!!

Gerald10

HSC
Im male and like good english. I liked maths as well. I could appreciate the beauty in both.

I hated studying crap stuff (eg the Skull Beneath the Skin) but I think everyone gets to a stage where you can appreciate the greatness of Shakespeare for example.

johony

HSC
i like english. but if it's a shit text or teacher, i hate it.

witide

HSC
You learn to appreciate english once you aren't forced to study it at school. Now that I've finished my HSC, I find myself reading a lot more fiction and generally enjoying it in my own time.

monesh

HSC
D good joke, i live for retards with fully sick hygiene lmao

u know of bossley?

gella

HSC
but they're not all like that :shy:
yeah i do. right up the road from me mang

monesh

HSC
yer dw im not like that (Y)
o rly, nice, u one of the girls that hangs out at stockies ?? >.>

Rainie

HSC
Tolerable and Do-able. It just gets repetitive. Honing on essay skills, techniques and an aspect of bullshitting skills.

I'd do English if they made it non-compulsory.

gella

HSC
yer dw im not like that (Y)
o rly, nice, u one of the girls that hangs out at stockies ?? >.>
fuck no. stockies is a hole. i only go there for the movies, freebies from the friends ;)

E

Empyrean444

It really depends what aspect of English one is studying, the texts that are being explored within this aspect and the method of study. For example, the subjectivity issue is a double edged sword, as it allows for interesting argument but can often be taken too far. Similarly, I enjoy the study of literature (esp. certain classics) and even of contexts, but hate the current Postmodern methods employed which merely ruin the text in question by dint of their inherent bullshit. A prevalent measure of logic is needed when constructing an interpretation, and unfortunately methods like deconstructionism (or post structuralism), while intriguing and even beneficial when used in very small measure, have the potential to be used to such an excessive extent that the interpretations produced are nothing more than insidious garbage.

By the above, my enjoyment of English varies. I think that the area of study, belonging, has a lot of potential and that much can be discussed about it. I also enjoy the freedom to choose related texts. The AOS is ruined, however, by the fact the we use Peter Skrzynecki's poetry, which is utter crap and absolutely dull. I feel that my school (and indeed the board) can give us something a little richer in technical artifice and construction that a bunch of poems that could have been written by someone in year 8. In constrast, I am enjoying Frankenstein immensely for its literary value. I am looking forward to Hamlet; but detest extension because I have to do Navigating the Global, a reductive topic which basically prevents you from using almost any of the classics. In addition, to add to the ignominy, we must tolerate THe SHipping News as a core, and it is even worse than bloody Peter S.

pricklygoo

HSC
It really depends what aspect of English one is studying, the texts that are being explored within this aspect and the method of study. For example, the subjectivity issue is a double edged sword, as it allows for interesting argument but can often be taken too far. Similarly, I enjoy the study of literature (esp. certain classics) and even of contexts, but hate the current Postmodern methods employed which merely ruin the text in question by dint of their inherent bullshit. A prevalent measure of logic is needed when constructing an interpretation, and unfortunately methods like deconstructionism (or post structuralism), while intriguing and even beneficial when used in very small measure, have the potential to be used to such an excessive extent that the interpretations produced are nothing more than insidious garbage.

By the above, my enjoyment of English varies. I think that the area of study, belonging, has a lot of potential and that much can be discussed about it. I also enjoy the freedom to choose related texts. The AOS is ruined, however, by the fact the we use Peter Skrzynecki's poetry, which is utter crap and absolutely dull. I feel that my school (and indeed the board) can give us something a little richer in technical artifice and construction that a bunch of poems that could have been written by someone in year 8. In constrast, I am enjoying Frankenstein immensely for its literary value. I am looking forward to Hamlet; but detest extension because I have to do Navigating the Global, a reductive topic which basically prevents you from using almost any of the classics. In addition, to add to the ignominy, we must tolerate THe SHipping News as a core, and it is even worse than bloody Peter S.
You obviously have no life

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)