who Actually likes english? (1 Viewer)

kawaiinlove

HSC
I like English. There are no limits. Unlike math, in my opinion, where this is simply that. In English you can write, create, say whatever you want.

Bainesy

HSC
anybody, ANYBODY, that likes studying english at school is a phucking nutter

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
i hate english. 90% of people hate english. if the HSC course was better, maybe i'd give it a chance. but honestly, it's not. you think authors wanted their texts to be analysed psychoanalytically? nooooooo. they just wanted to make some moolah.

phosphorescent

You make me sad.
HSC
i used 2 like the subject thats why i do 4units of eng...but belonging and peter skze.... totally killed it 4 me!!!
Cannot agree more. That man's writing is plain bad. Boring. Mundane. His poetry is so blatant that even my dog can figure out what he's on about. It doesn't make you think.

Kind of like Stephenie Meyer, I reckon.

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
Cannot agree more. That man's writing is plain bad. Boring. Mundane. His poetry is so blatant that even my dog can figure out what he's on about. It doesn't make you think.

Kind of like Stephenie Meyer, I reckon.
i totally and wholeheartedly agree. nice to see a female think in such an insightful way about that dreadful series of books.

Bainesy

HSC
i hate english. 90% of people hate english. if the HSC course was better, maybe i'd give it a chance. but honestly, it's not. you think authors wanted their texts to be analysed psychoanalytically? nooooooo. they just wanted to make some moolah.
so true

although if you tell an english teacher this, they wont accept it cause it means that their whole profession of teaching english is based on a lie

HSC
you have to do it
GET OVER IT!
there are worse things in life then having to do english!

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
It really depends what aspect of English one is studying, the texts that are being explored within this aspect and the method of study. For example, the subjectivity issue is a double edged sword, as it allows for interesting argument but can often be taken too far. Similarly, I enjoy the study of literature (esp. certain classics) and even of contexts, but hate the current Postmodern methods employed which merely ruin the text in question by dint of their inherent bullshit. A prevalent measure of logic is needed when constructing an interpretation, and unfortunately methods like deconstructionism (or post structuralism), while intriguing and even beneficial when used in very small measure, have the potential to be used to such an excessive extent that the interpretations produced are nothing more than insidious garbage.

By the above, my enjoyment of English varies. I think that the area of study, belonging, has a lot of potential and that much can be discussed about it. I also enjoy the freedom to choose related texts. The AOS is ruined, however, by the fact the we use Peter Skrzynecki's poetry, which is utter crap and absolutely dull. I feel that my school (and indeed the board) can give us something a little richer in technical artifice and construction that a bunch of poems that could have been written by someone in year 8. In constrast, I am enjoying Frankenstein immensely for its literary value. I am looking forward to Hamlet; but detest extension because I have to do Navigating the Global, a reductive topic which basically prevents you from using almost any of the classics. In addition, to add to the ignominy, we must tolerate THe SHipping News as a core, and it is even worse than bloody Peter S.
Yeah, this. Except for me, replace Frankenstein with Pride and Prejudice, and take away the English Extension. Apart from that, I'm pretty much on the same level.

Especially with regards to Skrzynecki's poetry being "utter crap and absolutely dull". Damn fucking straight.

gifted:)

HSC
If they changed the AOS to belonging, you would think that they might have been kind enough to give us "interesting" texts not immigrant chronical.
Skrzynecki is so dull and repetetive, no-one cares about 10-fucking-Mary street for goodness sake

bored of sc

HSC
I kind of wished I dropped to standard. I feel an obligation to try harder in advanced (hopefully this helps in the long run).

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
If they changed the AOS to belonging, you would think that they might have been kind enough to give us "interesting" texts not immigrant chronical.
Skrzynecki is so dull and repetetive, no-one cares about 10-fucking-Mary street for goodness sake
i reckon. when they changed the syllabus i was like omg man the next yr is so lucky they don't have to so freaking skrzynecki. now i'm LOL-ing.

HSC
speak for yourself. we got a very good belonging text.

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC
OK, my high opinion of English is wavering upon my receiving a sizable amount of weekend homework. However-much I try, I can't like LTA. Weldon writes in such a prissy way.

Last edited:

aussieoi

HSC
I certainly would drop english if i had the opportunity,
i enjoy math so much more, its much more of a challenge.
english stinks but its there so we have to deal with it!

P.T.F.E

HSC
they had to make english compulsory otherwise hundreds of english teachers would be out of a job.
if english was more interesting and maybe taught me something, instead of analysing the most boring texts on earth, i could with stand it. but no by now most skills are assumed and its just the same boring technique effect quote.
bloody skrzynecki and his shitty wingy poems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)