Who got 99UAI+ & didn't 'accelerate' in any subject? (1 Viewer)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Didnt accelerate anything, not because I didnt want to but because school didnt offer. No tutors during my schooling. Went to private school but does that really matter when the school came like 600th?

Oh and to answer sunjet, im not Asian either :p

tempco

HSC
people usually assume acceleration > not accelerating. acceleration can be both beneficial or detrimental... it made me complacent, but other people actually use their extra time properly.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
yeh i didn't accelerate

and no, no tutors.

edit: plus i'm 5th generation aussie :)

Last edited:

FinalFantasy

HSC
nekkid said:
people usually assume acceleration > not accelerating. acceleration can be both beneficial or detrimental... it made me complacent, but other people actually use their extra time properly.
i would have liked to accelerate a few subjects, less work to do during HSC year:p

04er

HSC
andy100 said:
No point in accelerating
It made a huge difference at my school. In fact dux beat my UAI by 0.05 only because he accelerated (had 6 units in year 12 *rolls eyes* compared to 11 units for me). He lazed around most of year 12. Hardly did any work. Whereas I worked my ass off non-stop. So yes, there is point in accelerating.

Last edited:

tempco

HSC
FinalFantasy said:
i would have liked to accelerate a few subjects, less work to do during HSC year:p
yeh for sure. i was a total bludger and got 99... heh.

nit

HSC
I reckon you should only accelerate if you are VERY confident in the subject you accelerate in - ie if you are ready to do the exam ahead of time. If you will do better in that subject by waiting the extra year, you shouldn't really be accelerating, whatever the time constraints imposed upon you in yr 12. It's always good to have at least one bludgy subject in yr 12 as well, to give you more time with your other units - for me that was german.

andy100

HSC
04er said:
It made a huge difference at my school. In fact dux beat my UAI by 0.05 only because he accelerated (had 6 units in year 12 *rolls eyes* compared to 11 units for me). He lazed around most of year 12. Hardly did any work. Whereas I worked my ass off non-stop. So yes, there is point in accelerating.
yeah and if he did work he wouldve beaten you by more than .05.

the fact that he only beat you by .05 by doing 6 units is indicative of how much he bludged, not of how effective accelerating was. if anything, it is indicative of how ineffective it was cause it led to the aforementioned complacency and meant that he didnt do as well as he could have done.

FinalFantasy

HSC
hey but atleast its cool to have a bludgy\relaxing year!!:p (and still do good)

shafqat

HSC
N/A
andy100 said:
yeah and if he did work he wouldve beaten you by more than .05.

the fact that he only beat you by .05 by doing 6 units is indicative of how much he bludged, not of how effective accelerating was. if anything, it is indicative of how ineffective it was cause it led to the aforementioned complacency and meant that he didnt do as well as he could have done.
stop confusing people with your sophisticated legalese mr lubo

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Acceleration is a joke. I hate how under-handed the whole thing is. Acceleration is really only specific to certain schools, and if not, can only be achieved through a very good relationship between teacher and student.

I would have loved to accelerate an HSC subject in yr 11.

It would be cool if a student was able to complete the entire course within one year, similar to what is done at TAFE, completing the Prelim component before easter and then launching into the HSC part.

04er

HSC
leetom said:
Acceleration is a joke. I hate how under-handed the whole thing is. Acceleration is really only specific to certain schools, and if not, can only be achieved through a very good relationship between teacher and student.

I would have loved to accelerate an HSC subject in yr 11.

It would be cool if a student was able to complete the entire course within one year, similar to what is done at TAFE, completing the Prelim component before easter and then launching into the HSC part.
I completely agree, it is a joke. At our school, acceleration in maths meant starting prelim in year 10... only those who topped year 9 were given this 'privilege' :rolleyes:

FinalFantasy

HSC
04er said:
I completely agree, it is a joke. At our school, acceleration in maths meant starting prelim in year 10... only those who topped year 9 were given this 'privilege' :rolleyes:
at our school, onli those who topped year 8 was given the "privilege" lol

tempco

HSC
it is a privilege, if you had a choice. and why do you guys think its a joke?

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
*Digs up thread as it becomes apparent as to how unfair acceleration is*

In my year, there are 3 year 11 boys doing ext 2 and 1 maths and one year 9 boy doing year 12 maths. Now, I do not object to the latter one, simply because his freakish ability should be fostered as much as possible, but the other 3 did nothing to deserve being accelerated except topping their year 8 maths involving Pythagoras and algebra.

Now, by their own admission all they do is do maths at home. We all know that maths is a subject which you can master with practice, even more so with 4u maths. How can a school endorse such total bull? It totally disadvantages the other year 12 students who have 12 units to juggle, not to mention the pressure. I lose faith in myself anyway when I do 4u maths at home, knowing that the year 11 boys have done more and will beat me anyway, so why bother trying?

Can I appeal? There seems no point even trying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)