Who got elected onto the union? (3 Viewers)

Plebeian

Phanatical said:
So is Rose Jackson.
OK, do you remember a while ago how I accused you of saying things that weren't substantiated? And you said:

Phanatical said:
Um, ALL of my posts are substantiated by evidence. I rarely, if ever say anything unsubstantiated.
Well that post is exactly what I'm talking about. The evidence might be there (though in this case, as usual, I disagree with you), but you have to actually present it if you want people to believe you :uhhuh: .

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I agree with a few things:

1) Over-advertised; leave me the fuck alone
2) Candidates were shit
3) I dont care because these people are irrelevant to me and my studies

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
wikiwiki said:
Seriously, shut up about it. No one cares anymore - Student Unions are dead, student activism is a joke and full-fee paying students should be shot.
Why should full-fee paying students be shot?

It is clear that the 5 UAI points they get doesn't mean all too much on how they will go in university (look at those from public versus those from private schools). Also they help fund your place, shooting them would result in less funding.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Xayma said:
Why should full-fee paying students be shot?

It is clear that the 5 UAI points they get doesn't mean all too much on how they will go in university (look at those from public versus those from private schools). Also they help fund your place, shooting them would result in less funding.
Additionally, if we kill all fee-paying students who the hell is going to sit right up the front in all of my lectures?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Phanatical said:
So is Rose Jackson.
Okay, so you say Rose is corrupt.

Give us some evidence.

And waf - she may be President of the Shady Reds Collective - but Phanatical wants to be the President of that same collective pretty badly I'd say.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
How is Rose Jackson Corrupt? She came to power upon a platform of threatening the other candidates. Under her guidance, Sam Crosby AND Felix Eldridge threatened to use their combined powers to cut funding to the students I represented - threats which I can assure you have in fact been carried through. Under her guidance, campaigners not only threatened, but actually used physical violence against my colleagues and I.

Under the Jackson administration, funding has been diverted from real student issues towards promoting Jackson as some sort of saint. Sizable donations to organisations like the Cross-Campus Womens Network, the Labor Party and Falun Gong continue to be made, even as students continue to be neglected by the organisation supposed to represent them. Like Eldridge and Haylen before her, she continues to personally benefit from our student fees while Con students don't.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Under a Conservatorium administration, the SRC will be an organisation who prioritises student services first, humanitarian causes second. My organisation is dedicated to reforming the SRC into an organisation which cares about students. We're committed to abolishing the Women's Officer, and replacing her with a Gender and Equal Opportunity Officer who will deal with issues by both men and women. We're committed to increasing representation to students at all faculties. We're also going to stop funding miscellaneous protests. No more protests at funerals, no more going into UTS and damaging the front entrance. This one measure will cut the SRC's costs dramatically, allowing us to focus our efforts on where the SRC SHOULD be working.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hopefully by the SRC elections VSU will have been passed and we can have an election without someone from Labor Left using further protests against the inevitable as the cornerstone of their campaign.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
They'll continue to protest, funded by the Labor Party, for the next three years.

jpr333

HSC
As a Darlington/Camperdown student I'd support the con's succession from the main Union, can't we have a referendum or something :/

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
UNE has got to be one of the utmost deadly boring places ever. Unless you don't have a social life, that place will suck the life out of you. UNE is fantastic for all the little boys and girls who want to be good little children and live with their mummys and daddys, but my god...if you actually want to have fun...

Wait, even more so, Armidale in general is a hole and no one with half a spark of energy and knowledge of fun would ever ever want to be like that place.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Phanatical said:
Under a Conservatorium administration, the SRC will be an organisation who prioritises student services first, humanitarian causes second. My organisation is dedicated to reforming the SRC into an organisation which cares about students. We're committed to abolishing the Women's Officer, and replacing her with a Gender and Equal Opportunity Officer who will deal with issues by both men and women. We're committed to increasing representation to students at all faculties. We're also going to stop funding miscellaneous protests. No more protests at funerals, no more going into UTS and damaging the front entrance. This one measure will cut the SRC's costs dramatically, allowing us to focus our efforts on where the SRC SHOULD be working.
Ok great idea. Now, why don't you do something about it. All I've noticed you do in union/src arguments is state how terrible the world is. How you are represented by people who couldn't care less about the Con. (Oh, and I see you're supporting Simon who probably doesn't even know the Con exists, but you have failed to mention Doug, who was very commited to the Con). Offcourse the union and src are going to cater to the largest majority of students rather than a small select group, a lot of whom are happy enough with the representation anyway.
So, if you wish to revolutionise the SRC and Union go out, seek legal help (the Src can help you here), find out how you could form your own union and SRC at the Con to best represent your students and then you can stop whining. Everything is possible and the advent of VSU should help you establish your own organisations.
If you're thinking "I can't be bothered", then why are you putting forth an argument for your own student body?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Phanatical said:
They'll continue to protest, funded by the Labor Party, for the next three years.
Did the last protest cost a lot of money? Have a look at the financial figures and be surprised.
The only real cost was the advertising for it.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
He ran for SRC elections last year and didn't get in. Thats why he's constantly whinging here.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
Did the last protest cost a lot of money? Have a look at the financial figures and be surprised.
Do you have a source for it so I can see?

I haven't seen it in any of the publications I've read, and cant find it on the SRC or USYD union website.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Well I admit my source isn't that reliable: people in the union. However, it does make senes. What exactly did they pay for? They didn't pay for the entertainment. Students paid for things like the food there. The only real expense is the advertising. Although the particular person I was speaking to did admit that the protest prior to the last one cost a fair amount.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
yulia said:
UNE has got to be one of the utmost deadly boring places ever. Unless you don't have a social life, that place will suck the life out of you. UNE is fantastic for all the little boys and girls who want to be good little children and live with their mummys and daddys, but my god...if you actually want to have fun...

Wait, even more so, Armidale in general is a hole and no one with half a spark of energy and knowledge of fun would ever ever want to be like that place.
UNE also has the only right wing (ie not "look at me, look at me, I can protest against things that will never change!") SRC that I know of in Australia, and it would be nice to have an SRC which charged a lower fee purely for student representation in academic disputes so that this important service could survive. The SRC could then have another fee for representing students' political views. I think you'd find the latter would be paid for very few due to there being a lot of pointlessness going on in that sector.
1Time4thePpl said:
You forgot the bribery.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
Well I admit my source isn't that reliable: people in the union. However, it does make senes. What exactly did they pay for? They didn't pay for the entertainment. Students paid for things like the food there. The only real expense is the advertising. Although the particular person I was speaking to did admit that the protest prior to the last one cost a fair amount.
Students paid for the "free" food? Well yes, in a way the students also paid for the advertisment.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
the food was free? I wasn't aware of that. i was told that students paid for the food there by a mate who attended the rally. He said something about paying for hotdogs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)