• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who has started writing? (1 Viewer)

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
how are we supposed to include stuff we have learned from 2 and 3unit english without just writing a crime fiction or genre piece or blatanly showing a chaging world etc..

chip

HSC
i started.........
i started.........

but i'm not doing a short story i'm exploring different mediums..... hahaha.....

i'm writing a sitcom and have about 5 scenes written :D

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
Originally posted by Nick
how are we supposed to include stuff we have learned from 2 and 3unit english without just writing a crime fiction or genre piece or blatanly showing a chaging world etc..
it doesn't have to reflect the exact content of those courses but can be skills you've gained through them. For example your essay writing skills if you're doing a critical response or your ability to write a creative piece if you're doing short stories etc. Also you might have learnt the impact of context on the composer or the importance of symbolism etc.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
i think at the moment i have just hit some kind of creative block... nothing creative is coming out of me!!! ive decided to go with SCRIPT as my genre, and do a short film or television feature... probably something with a political or religious statement. ive re-written my proposal three times already (which i think is stupid, but our teacher wants us to write a proposal for EVERY idea we consider... im like "hello, thats what our process diary is for" but nooo, no one listens to moi!) :mad1: :p

at least with script i get to watch a lot of tv... teehee, i know im gonna end up writing a script the night before its due or something, when im completely hyped on caffeine.

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
i finally made a start on mine today, gave up on the idea of writing a comedy, satirical piece because it was going to be too subjective and hard to sustain for so many words. Ive taken the easy option in writing a fantasy style story that sort of obscurely mirrors the events of the Russian revolution, sort of..

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I started mine in the summer hols.... I'm doing a poetry collection. I have done the drafts of 3 poems (my poems are all fairly short) and have written down ideas/sentences/stanzas for others. I'm doing thirteen units, so I said to myself "you MUST start writing this holidays or you are dropping this subject".... it took a while to get going but once I made that initial start it was easier.

Still, the things I have done need a lot of fixing up and there is still a lot more writing to go!!!!!!!

Good luck everyone, this forum is excellent.... so glad to know that there are heaps of others out there doing the same thing!!!!!

little_davo

Heya, glad to see that people are shitting themselves as much as I am. I ahve had a different idea every week. Like clockwork, by Monday its always changed! Fortunatley the last one has stuck around for 3 weeks, just a small matter of actually starting it. Is anyone else doing a critical response? Know anywhere that can spell it out for me how to actually write one?
Good luck everyone, the fact that we're actually doing 4unit english is impressive in itself.
cheers big ears...

perfect crime

I'm doing a critical response!! On account of I hate creative stuff (that's why I do art). Critical Responses don't really have a mould (i dont think). Like you write it to suit what you are writing about. Like an essay you have the whole beginning middle end thing going, but its not as structured.
Is anyone doing speechwriting??

nicole

Hi guys,
im new to this forum but its been really interesting to read all of your messages. I'm doing a critical response for my major but I have been seriously considering just throwing the whole thing in. I've got 14 units for my HSC (2 i finished last year) so I don't desperatly need it, but I need to get a really high UAI. I don't want this course to take away time from my other courses, and i have no motivation to work on it at the moment. Is it all worth it? I really need some advice.

little_davo

Heya.
14 units is a lot of work to put on yourself, but if you need a high UAI Extension 2 can scale you up a lot i think. unless the extra work ends up having a negative effect on it all. I guess it really depends on how much you can handle. good lucK!

little_davo

Heya.
14 units is a lot of work to put on yourself, but if you need a high UAI Extension 2 can scale you up a lot i think. unless the extra work ends up having a negative effect on it all. I guess it really depends on how much you can handle. good lucK!

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
ah. u don't have to write for ext eng 2 do u? can't u use other mediums?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm doing 13 units (all of them this year!) and I'm doing ex 2. I think the best thing about ex 2 is that it is a bit more flexible than most subjects.... you write when you have time etc. So you can do writing earlier in the term and then when you have assessments at the end of the terms for other subjects you can put ex2 on the backburner for 2 weeks, then get going on it again............ (I hope this theory works lol!!)

little_davo

you can definitely use film as a medium, which doesn't even have to have a script-marked on filmic techniques and concepts etc. The only other ones i can think of are radio drama and performance poetry where you send a recording in to be marked but you still have to write the actual script/poems in the first place.

pri

HSC
N/A
Radio plays are a bitch to write, they seem easy but let me tell you creating something that only uses sound is damn hard.

On a completely unrelated note

Ive started! Im happy with myself , 2000 words so far (short story) of course its 2000 words of pure undiluted crap but its a start, thats what editing is for.

I think what Im happy with is that I planned out my story into "minichapters" as Ive got a few different perspectives, so that way I know where the story is going in each mini chapter and dont have to wait for bursts of inspiration to start writing as I already know what I need to write. Feel free to steal this method, as its procrastinator-proofed. What I mean is you cant use " i havent got the inspiration to write now" as an excuse, like I used to do before.

The only problem I have with eex2 is that I stuffed up my proposal and got a crap mark for it, so now I have to work extra hard on the report and viva voce to make sure I get a half decent mark.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
i have too many procrastination excuses for my own good.... i gave up using MSN so i would do school work, but thats failing dismally and i think im actually doing less than i was before :rolleyes:

word of warning:

NEVER go to - http://www.popcap.com

they have this addictive word game called 'bookworm' and our ex2 class sits around and plays it all lesson, trying to see who has the best vocab :D

miguel_fugdey

In The Closet (the broom closet, not the gay close
methinks we all suffer from procrastination snakeoils...its not like you NEED to work hard for your hsc, right :p

and yeah, im doing 13 units, ash, all this year, and apparently the worst thing u can do for 4u is to set it aside for a while - thats procrastination, right? just gotta do a little bit of everything, all the time

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by miguel_fugdey
methinks we all suffer from procrastination snakeoils...its not like you NEED to work hard for your hsc, right :p

and yeah, im doing 13 units, ash, all this year, and apparently the worst thing u can do for 4u is to set it aside for a while - thats procrastination, right? just gotta do a little bit of everything, all the time
if you have a spare 30 min sometimes (which Im all sure we DO) then write, trust me all those little bursts add up and pretty soon you will be the only one NOT staying up the nights before the 1st draft is due, take it from the grand master of procrastination, little bites of the big apple is better than big bites. At least with little bites you savour the taste and enjoy it more.

Huy

HSC
N/A
hehe,

almost 3-4 months have past and i still havent started
DOH!!

i'll actually go *do* something now :D :D

well i've finally started writing
did 1 poem
it's pretty cool i suppose
for a first attempt anyway

i've got plenty of time in the holidays to work
though i've got a stack of assessments due in the first week
(NO!!)

all in all,
i think i'll be able to think of/write 10 poems or so by the end of the year (aug/sept)

it'll be cool :D
take it easy, one step at a time and everything'll be sweet.

Last edited:

Jacks

HSC
I've sort of started...but as part of the course you have to show evidence of research and such so taking your time, as long as it is useful in some form of another (and doesn't amount to too much time) is alright. You have to show extensive evidence of investigation into your form before you actually start anyway :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)