Who here actually wants to be an engineer? (1 Viewer)

thehootman

HSC
Gday all,
Who here actually wants to be an engineer? I know I do.

Horseypie

HSC
I'm hoping for Aeronatical Engineering at Newcastle, or the one in Sydney where you get your pilots license through the course.

HSC
But what kind of engineer do you wanna be. Im thinking about civil but im told its poor pay, so im kinda undecided.

thehootman

HSC
CIVIL IS NOT POOR PAY!!! There is a massive shortage of engineers in aust at the moment, and civil engineers are top of that list. Trust me, its good pay, especially if you get a fat contract.

OK, it may not be as much as a dentist, but its up there. And you dont have to look at smelly mouths all day.

I'm lookin at mechanical or mechatronic. Thats the thing i'm really interested in.

Also, more CEOs of companys are ex-engineers. Engineers develop managing skills, thus becoming big managers....

wingman

Let's Rock N' Roll
HSC
Aeronautical @ Usyd doesnt give you a pilots licence. you just knock in some hours as mandatory for a subject.

Civil is one of the highest paying engineering jobs available, and there is a huge shortage of civil(look at seek.com.au).

Highest paying job is mining at the moment. ive been told 1st year graduates are offered $90,000 if you have mining engineering degree. then 2nd year is $110,000. Engineers are in short supply.

Aeronautical is probably the lowest paying and hardest job to find.

Chemical is right up there as well.

HSC
...not me!, evn tho im comin 1st in my school, im jus doing it coz inno i can get a good mark in it
tho, i find engineering interisting, i love the topic aero engineering

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
Horseypie said:
I'm hoping for Aeronatical Engineering at Newcastle, or the one in Sydney where you get your pilots license through the course.
errr i doubt you'll get a pilot license through an engineering degree.

i guess it wouldn't be wise of you to be doing this subject if you don't want to be an engineer.

M-turkey

Zoom Zoom
HSC
Yeah, sweet jobs in Mining for Civil and Mechanical engineers, there are graduates getting loads of money! However, its not the average life, if you work for a mine, you basically live in its own little "community", away from a City.

We had a careers day the other week at Uni, and half the companies that attended were either banks, or project management companies, Engineers make good managers.

thehootman

HSC
If you wanna do engineering UNSW is best in Australia - far better labs etc.

twilight1412

HSC
UNSW FTW!!!!still tossing up which ones to do thoughleaning towards-mechatronics-chemical-biomedi have noticed that you can stick bio med with chem or mecha as a double degree ^^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)