• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

who is absolutely sick of english? (1 Viewer)

lane

English allows for the side of humanity to be expressed that maths does not allow! The imagination.........human emotion , feeling , the exploration of a situation through words sort of like painting on canvas. That has to count for something!

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by lane
English allows for the side of humanity to be expressed that maths does not allow! The imagination.........human emotion , feeling , the exploration of a situation through words sort of like painting on canvas. That has to count for something!
Are you a 4U student?

If not, what level of english do you do?

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
heh, I was wondering that myself...perhaps lane is talking about english in general though, not the HSC syllabus.

*thinks about the advanced english syllabus as a true study of expression of the human condition.*

*barfs*:rofl:

Raser

Waitara.... Station below hornsby and above Chastw
Yeah fuck english :mad:
i'm organising something for next wednsday arvo to burn all the english books and notes.... feel free to come
and feel free to bring along ur english teachers... we can throw them in along with the notes... not that i don't like my english teacher... but only coz he teaches me sdd as well

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
>English allows for the side of humanity to be
>expressed that maths does not allow!

I agree that English is wonderful, but personally I think the HSC subject isn't. It seems to be designed to narrow our range of thought to specific feelings about specific topics. The essays are marked on the techniques used, not anything important such as the way the 'text' affects, or comments on, society, how the author creates a believable character (_Without_ focussing on how that character _changes_ to the exclusion of all else).

HSC English <--- Pffffft. :mad:

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by Raser
i'm organising something for next wednsday arvo to burn all the english books and notes.... feel free to come
and feel free to bring along ur english teachers... we can throw them in along with the notes... not that i don't like my english teacher... but only coz he teaches me sdd as well

mass english papers/notes/other useless junk burning session. Im there!! :torch::evilfire::torch::evilfire:WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Jellymonsta

just to try to justify why HSC english is compulsory...
the way i heard it, a massive number of the people who graduate from technical courses have english as a secondary language (ie brainy asians). BoS is trying to raise the standard so that the technically qualified people can communicate effectively in the language... its not whats in the english courses that is important, it is so that people have to get a solid grasp on the language if they want the best UAI they can get.
it kinda makes sense if you look at it that way... think about how many taxi drivers you have met who have truly terrible english :)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Jellymonsta
just to try to justify why HSC english is compulsory...
the way i heard it, a massive number of the people who graduate from technical courses have english as a secondary language (ie brainy asians). BoS is trying to raise the standard so that the technically qualified people can communicate effectively in the language... its not whats in the english courses that is important, it is so that people have to get a solid grasp on the language if they want the best UAI they can get.
it kinda makes sense if you look at it that way... think about how many taxi drivers you have met who have truly terrible english :)
I no understan' you racist ..

(Just kidding)

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I shall take this too much further as well and suggest that they actually DID thought there were too many Asians enrolled into top unis with poor english skills, and tried to balance it out for the rest of the demographic. UNSW and USYD was so literally infested that even other asains thought it was unsettling. Like stepping into China...:p

This way, the asians who formerly relyed on their maths and science skill must change.
----
I too cheap to meet taxidriver!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack
I shall take this too much further as well and suggest that they actually DID thought there were too many Asians enrolled into top unis with poor english skills, and tried to balance it out for the rest of the demographic. UNSW and USYD was so literally infested that even other asains thought it was unsettling. Like stepping into China...:p

This way, the asians who formerly relyed on their maths and science skill must change.
----
I too cheap to meet taxidriver!
I'd just like to mention that BlackJack IS Asian ... His comments should be read with that in mind.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack
True... do you think I should colour the head on that Jack of spades I have to reflect my azn complexions and save misunderstanding...?
No, I was just for that post that it was relevent.

sleepy

Originally posted by Raser
yeh yeah.. wake me up and i'll be there!!! ive got a grand total of 4 books to burn...yay and ermmmm i dun have any notes... teacher?? wat teacher.. i didnt get taught jack dis yr.. serious
i realised that today wen i tried to "study" since theres only 2 days left i thought i better start... arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Raser

Waitara.... Station below hornsby and above Chastw
i just want to say that english sux and how happy i am to never have to touch it again in my life..... hopefully...... the exam and course i mean of course
and who ever is interested in burning their notes like i said earlier can organise a time here or if u got a bushfire somewhere near ur house, we can go and throw it in there

mannnnndy

chocoholic
hmmm....Im not sure if thats such a good idea, throwing english notes into the bushfire. Ive got so much useless handouts and shit it'll keep the fire going for months :p
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ENGLISH IS OVER FOREVER!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)