• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

who is absolutely sick of english? (1 Viewer)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Dumbarse
i disagree, this argument is just starting
ENGLISH SUX
and moonhead and that mercury freak are both illiterate, oxyMoron dictionary wannabe's, who cant argue for crap
"moonhead" topped (or close to) our trial for English Advanced, and this is at a selective high school too
so he's hardly illiterate...

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by Bon

That's going to get you places in the real world ? You're going to sit down and think about all the techniques you know when you write somthing, evaluate the effectiveness of each one on how it creates meaning, then purposely use techniques to put across a message ? You've got to be joking.
Just for good measure, what's all this talk about the real world? We all seem to talk about maths and english and their irrelevance to the REAL world - but what sort of real world is there out there? Is the world not full of people like us, who similarly have the ability to think, and perceive, and analyse, and create?

Why, then, assume that what we are studying is not relevant to the real world?

This 'real world' which most of you seem to attribute no thought to, to me is filled with people who want to understand it. THAT's why we have the English literature, the Dante, the Shakespeare, the Livy, the Catilinarian Speeches. That's why we have Newton's law of gravity and Planck's constant and Einstein's Theory of General Relativity. Both literature and maths as disciplines describe how people in the past have sought to understand humanity and the cosmos.

Sure, maths may not be everyone's thing. English may not be everyone's thing. But there is something in this world for each of us which is our thing - our way of seeing the world. Acknowledging what other people enjoy, instead of condemning it without reason may be the best way.

:)

"Don't worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein

HSC
Originally posted by Weisy

Just for good measure, what's all this talk about the real world? We all seem to talk about maths and english and their irrelevance to the REAL world - but what sort of real world is there out there? Is the world not full of people like us, who similarly have the ability to think, and perceive, and analyse, and create?

Why, then, assume that what we are studying is not relevant to the real world?

This 'real world' which most of you seem to attribute no thought to, to me is filled with people who want to understand it. THAT's why we have the English literature, the Dante, the Shakespeare, the Livy, the Catilinarian Speeches. That's why we have Newton's law of gravity and Planck's constant and Einstein's Theory of General Relativity. Both literature and maths as disciplines describe how people in the past have sought to understand humanity and the cosmos.

Sure, maths may not be everyone's thing. English may not be everyone's thing. But there is something in this world for each of us which is our thing - our way of seeing the world. Acknowledging what other people enjoy, instead of condemning it without reason may be the best way.

"Don't worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
well said...

now wait for the flames from the narrow-minded english haters.

mannnnndy

chocoholic
Originally posted by Big Willy
speaking of which.. who are you?
im amanda, i used 2 b in ur 2u maths class last year but now i just come in 4 visits. i also have mannnnnndy written across the back of my jersey if ur still stuck.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Yes, I apologise for deviating from what the thread was originally about. You personally may not have been condemning others, but other people were, and the thread was really going nowhere.

Still, could I point out what we are arguing here is defunct, because we are really agreeing with each other? You tried to refute my statements by referring them back to the english syllabus context of the original thread, and I did not mean for them to taken in that context.

'there is something in this world for each of us which is our thing - our way of seeing the world' - doesn't that say enough ? You perceive the 'real world' differently to how I perceive it. There's no need for us to be called 'narrow-minded' for not perceiving the english syllabus in the same way.
I agree. And taking it onto a personal level for just a moment, I never meant to imply that anyone who didn't like the English syllabus was narrow-minded, only those who condemned others for hating it.

We were 'condemning' the english syllabus.
Well, some people weren't.

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
oh, and...

I meant a job, help you earn an income. I really see someone paying me to analyse how texts convey and shape meaning. I see NO point to doing it, that's why I don't like it.
Fair enough, but some people do see a point in doing it, do enjoy it, and actually do it as a career.

And also - is a job and income in life really what constitutes meaning in it?

sleepy

mannnnndy and izi,
ur 1st 2 posts said it all!!!
it actually feels great that there r 4u math students out there who feel the same way abt english!!:D :D :D
im abt to get my eng trials back :confused:
and i can imagine the mks comin oh dear...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I am a science student
(Chem, Phy, Engineering, 4U maths)

But I still do 3U English!!!

Am I crazy??

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Of the 22 students who attained a UAI of 100 last year, 14 studied both Maths Extension 2 and English Extension 1.

And at least one did English Extension 2. :)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
Of the 22 students who attained a UAI of 100 last year, 14 studied both Maths Extension 2 and English Extension 1.

And at least one did English Extension 2. :)
That's good odds for me!!

Thanks!!

Ps: Where did you find that info?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Do you know what else they did?

Say Physics and Chem (which I'm sure of anyway)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You can view the list <a href=http://www.boredofstudies.org/other/topuai.php>here</a>.

It gives the top UAI attained in a particular course in 2001 - so, every course that has 100.00 listed next to it was done by at least one of those 22 students.

I'm not sure where that particular tidbit of info was from... one of the UAI reports, it's probably on the UAC site.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Are you sure he didn't get 99.65?

I copied that table straight from the scaling report.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)