• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who is going to Newcastle Uni? (2 Viewers)

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
Merethrond said:
Are you sure you just didn't make the word up:p? Do other people use it, or just you:)?
lol ive heard it.. but not used regularly... yank is a good enough insult these days

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
arts sucks.
but each to their own.

I'm doing BSc...but I wanna transfer to BOccThy (fingers crossed I get Newcastle again)
my sisters told me once how the engineering students write the following on the toilet paper dispensers at uni:

"..take an arts degree"

whenever i say taht someone gets offended though lol

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
lol, perhaps I should venture over to engineering and check it out....meh, nah, can't be stuffed :p

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
"art degrees, please take one" the first time i saw that i almost started crying from laughing so hard. its like talking to a unemployed person and they say, "I went to newcastle uni", you say "what did you do", and they say "an arts degree or music".

we sit thru 25+ contact hours per week, we can write whatever we like in the dunnies, compared to one 3 hour workshop per fortnight

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
smegthehead said:
my sisters told me once how the engineering students write the following on the toilet paper dispensers at uni:

"..take an arts degree"

whenever i say taht someone gets offended though lol
Haha, I just woke up to read this. Haha:D!

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
ive applied for social science recreattion and tourism yet im really good at bio so im still deciding to apply for something related... except i didnt do chem so i might be screwed.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
PookieMonster said:
...except i didnt do chem so i might be screwed.
the uni runs 'bridging courses' over the summer they run for two weeks and pretty much catch u up on anything you may have missed out on...

there was a thread ages and ages ago but im too lazy to look for it.. im pretty sure chem was one of them tho...

maybe one of the sciency people can help???

oohh! first on page 10.. wheeeeeeeeeeee

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I don't know what the courses are that you do for that program, but from what I hear, for CHEM1010/1020 you would be pretty rooted up the bum to be attempting it without doing chem at school.
a link you may like to check out:
http://www.newcastle.edu.au/centre/elfsc/foundation/bridging/
It's for the 2003 summer, but the courses would probably still be the same. A lot of the time they recommend you do certain subjects for the HSC (like bio recommends maths and chem), but you don't TRULY need them (I sucked incredibly at chem, and only did general maths, and I still do ok with bio)...but yeah, chem is pretty much a must-have

And I have no idea what I've just said in all that mindless ramble...basically...do the bridging course.

DV8

HSC
PookieMonster said:
ive applied for social science recreattion and tourism yet im really good at bio so im still deciding to apply for something related... except i didnt do chem so i might be screwed.
Depends what sort of "sciencey" degree you go for. You can get away with doing a straight B. Science without touching chemistry. I didn't do chem at high school but I did CHEM1010 in first semester as my elective (not such a good choice :rolleyes: but I passed...just). Its pretty basic... almost a bridging course in itself with a little bit of extra work involved on your behalf. So the question is whether you actually enjoy biology (not just the fact you're good at it) and want to spend 3-4 years studying it. I really liked HSC bio but some of the stuff we covered this year in BIOL1120/1110 has been pretty dodgy. In saying that tho it's very difficult to find a course where you like every single topic covered. And just remember that with a more general degree like Science/Arts you can usually structure it more to the way you want + it allows you to change direction by switching majors. In the end tho its what your going to be INTERESTED in... it's difficult to be motivated when your bored.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
How has 1120/1110 been dodgy?! lol
Have you got your A2 mark back yet? Looks like Garys disappeared into thin air!!
Josh and I are planning castration...wanna join us?! :p

PookieMonster

Got bored & left 30/01/05
HSC
yeah uim more interested in human biology or something like that, and most things reckon u had to do chem or physics so yeah... mm

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
In terms of bio, for 1120/1010 we do a lot of sorta environmental stuff, a bit on like photosynthesis/respiration/enzymes stuff, a bit of genetic-y type stuff and finally a bit of stuff on sex
Then 1110/1020 is a bit of ecology, a heap of plants, a heap of animals, and then (for 1110) a bit more ecology.

DV8

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
How has 1120/1110 been dodgy?! lol
How? BIOL1120: May I remind you of ecotox, GLYCOLYSIS and Linich's WHOLE section on genetics at the end of last semester (and the fact that it was the major topic covered in the exam :mad: )
BIOL1110: Wasn't as bad but too much specific in-depth focus on plants/animals individually rather than ecosystems as wholes... was looking forward to a more ecology-like course... guess i'll have to wait til next year (BIOL2070 :D). Gary's last few lectures were especially dodgy! Did you attend his wonderful "human-based" simultation of an ecosystem? wtf :confused:

hipsta_jess said:
Have you got your A2 mark back yet? Looks like Garys disappeared into thin air!! Josh and I are planning castration...wanna join us?! :p
No I haven't! :mad: Bastard! Castration... gladly :D I've been waiting 9 months for an invitation!

PookieMonster said:
yeah uim more interested in human biology
Unfortunately you still have to do the dodgy introductory courses (for example the ones listed above) which generally have little to do with what you wanna do... thank god this year is almost over! Yay for more specific 2nd year courses :p

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
wow, if I stay in science I'll be doing 2070 with you!!
I have a feeling Gary may take some aspect of it though...lol
and, yeah, that human thing, my God, I want to kill Kate for that!!

DV8

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
wow, if I stay in science I'll be doing 2070 with you!!
I have a feeling Gary may take some aspect of it though...lol
and, yeah, that human thing, my God, I want to kill Kate for that!!
He's a good lecturer (however irritating at times :p), but as a lab co-ordinator he's totally shithouse! Bring on the new co-ordinator!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I think as a lecturer he rocks, as a demonstrator he has his moments (ie when he is in a good mood he is fine; when he feels like being egotistical he is a complete shit), and as a lab co-ord...pft, get rid of him!

edit: hang on...are you saying their getting a new lab co-ord?

DV8

HSC
hipsta_jess said:
Yeah, I think as a lecturer he rocks, as a demonstrator he has his moments (ie when he is in a good mood he is fine; when he feels like being egotistical he is a complete shit), and as a lab co-ord...pft, get rid of him!

edit: hang on...are you saying their getting a new lab co-ord?
Luckily i've only had him as a demonstrator twice, but both times he irritated the shit outta me and I left early :p. As for lab co-ord I just figured that they'd have different ones for different years or whatever... I hope.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
haha, I've been with him all year, for every single lab (apart from one, which he was "away on official university business" and Eileen took us)
as for the co-ord thing, yeah, like, I dunno if next year will even bother having lab co-ords will they, coz they won't be dealing with like 250 of us...and if they do, it will presumably be a different one for each course...but yeah, it won't be him (sorry, before I took it to mean that first years were getting a new co-ord)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)