Banned
HSC
N/A
if you are using linux, what distro are you using

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Ubuntu 7.10 desktop.

this is my primary os. when i get around to it i want to install windows xp and fedora 9.

in some ways i like fedora more than ubuntu.. but i tried ubuntu first and now its feels like a nice warm home that i don't want to leave.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Have tried SUSE and Ubuntu. I'm not very technical they were fairly nice to use.

Currently running OS X and XP. Can I....triboot?

NovaAesa

HSC
Ubuntu 8.04 on my laptop and Fedora on my PC (duel boot with WinXP for gaming).

@mr_brightside, yes tribooting is possible.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
So I can just partition some drive space, chuck in my Ubuntu disc, restart and install?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
i am not a fan of linux personally although i dont think that ih ave ever tried it long enough to develop a good understanding of it

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Use Ubuntu at home.

Fedora is bloated.

Use it as my primary OS now that I know how to properly fuck around in the terminal.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I know that ubuntu does not have compatable drivers with all computers though

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I know that ubuntu does not have compatable drivers with all computers though
Examples? It's not hard to find drivers.

TheEM

HSC
i am not sure, i have spoken to numerous people who have tried on there computers and have had issues with driver compatability they told me this when i was considering switching. Apparently it is very common in ubuntu.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
TheEM said:
i am not sure, i have spoken to numerous people who have tried on there computers and have had issues with driver compatability they told me this when i was considering switching. Apparently it is very common in ubuntu.
If it's very common then you just google your problem and the solution will be right there on the forums. Ubuntu's community is second to none in this regard.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I've pretty much fully switched to Ubuntu since my XP boot decided to get a fucking virus off the internet and hijack IE and disable Opera and Firefox.

Fuck Windows anyway, I was looking for an excuse to move completely. Less gaming more coding.

Em: TBH I wouldn't listen to a word of that. Ubuntu gets updated every 6 months and a new revision comes out every year. Compare that with Windows's 4 year revision cycle.

Only driver problems I ever had was with my tablet PC. It has a screen you can draw on, so I had to google how to get that working. Simple enough.

I'm getting annoyed though - I'm stuck in Kubuntu 6.04. When 8.10 comes out I'll format and switch to it. This comp is about 2 years old and apt-get is broken due to a failed upgrade attempt. You can imagine how difficult that makes life in linux land.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Oh and trivia. Diablo 3 will require Mac OSX or Windows XP. Direct X 10 and Vista are optional.

You can imagine how furious that makes Microsoft and nVidia.

On a related note, it means that it'll probably work out of the box with WINE. Linux gaming is the future!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Slidey said:
I've pretty much fully switched to Ubuntu since my XP boot decided to get a fucking virus off the internet and hijack IE and disable Opera and Firefox.

Fuck Windows anyway, I was looking for an excuse to move completely. Less gaming more coding.

Em: TBH I wouldn't listen to a word of that. Ubuntu gets updated every 6 months and a new revision comes out every year. Compare that with Windows's 4 year revision cycle.

Only driver problems I ever had was with my tablet PC. It has a screen you can draw on, so I had to google how to get that working. Simple enough.

I'm getting annoyed though - I'm stuck in Kubuntu 6.04. When 8.10 comes out I'll format and switch to it. This comp is about 2 years old and apt-get is broken due to a failed upgrade attempt. You can imagine how difficult that makes life in linux land.
That's why you set up /home on a separate partition.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Yeah, I figured that one out a bit too late hey? :(

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Using ArchLinux x64 here, great distro to learn about linux without going all the way and using the 'Linux From Scratch'.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Ubuntu 8.04 on PC and laptop but only under VirtualBox, and 8.04 for home file server as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)