Who started BoS? (2 Viewers)

juggernaut

HSC
i use to come to bored of studies back when its url was just an ip address, and i think it was even one of those .cjb.net urls sometimes... it would always change

that was sooo long ago

since then bos has been sued many a time :)

terminator69

HSC
I really commend anyone that could make a site like this and target all its traffic to NSW and Victoria. Plus make a community and such a large database of content.

This site really needs to buy out the .com of boredofstudies though.. it expires in just over a year i believe.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Without Wings said:
As Sarah (Tulipa) said bos was started by James, Tim, Ian and Mark (the administrators). More info regarding the creators can be found here.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Established July 8th 2002, Bored of Studies was pioneered by 4 ex-HSC students who finished their HSC in 2001. Being the first to sit the newly revised HSC syllabus, the lack of information for current HSC students became apparent and hence developed into the sole inspiration for the development of this website.

Created by students, for students, Bored of Studies strives to provide current year 12 and year 11 students with all the resources and support they need to succeed during the 2 years that form the most important part of their education and subsequently, their futures.

Along with the help of countless user submitted notes and documents, and the users who spend endless hours helping out those in need in the student forums, Bored of Studies endeavours to become the single most influential, resourceful and helpful service available to students all over Australia. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Bored of Studies Mission Statement:

Source: Bored of Studies Mission Statement
and have since started to capitalise by making people pay for all the resources and support they need. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It just all used to be free though didn't it?

This kind of stuff interests me too... why would the BoS creators not be administrators? What have they been sued for? Was this site acquired by... what was it? istudy Australia?

On a random note I think that if you're going to have a resources section, the admins now should cut the whole 'this got 100% at my school' or something. Internal standards across schools are different lol. You might get 50% at James Ruse and 100% at Wyong High. </random rant>

I had thought the site existed earlier than 2002, where am I getting 1999 from?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Patar said:
and have since started to capitalise by making people pay for all the resources and support they need. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It just all used to be free though didn't it?
And those sections are still free, there have just been 'added' benefits for those paying, and was mainly to spruce up new servers.

This kind of stuff interests me too... why would the BoS creators not be administrators? What have they been sued for? Was this site acquired by... what was it? istudy Australia?
They are the admins. Yes they still handle database, upgrades etc. iStudy is their official company name I think, probably needed one when they were doing things like dance parties, book sales, premium members etc.

On a random note I think that if you're going to have a resources section, the admins now should cut the whole 'this got 100% at my school' or something. Internal standards across schools are different lol. You might get 50% at James Ruse and 100% at Wyong High. </random rant>
There is some control over the notes, but they should be, like most things on the internet, judged accordingly. BoS does not acknowledge nor present those free notes or endorse them in any way, merely provides a space for people to upload them and users to download them at their discretion.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I have a jab at Laz and co from time to time, but I really do appreciate their work and efforts. I have few valid criticisms about this place.

I guess I sometimes it just bugs me how much they've let this place go (as in stagnation, not degradation). They could have done a lot more with it in the past few years (to market it, to keep it in tip-top shape, to capitalise on it or to strive beyond their mission statement... or both); it occupies are massive niche market which they are the pioneers of. But I guess they've got their own lives and they never guessed it would get this big; not like they actively planned to build a 'big' company around it from the start.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah, similarly, it is disappointing to see it hasn't really 'taken' off or even progressed past 2003/4.

Part of that problem is time and effort, and money I guess. Attempts to 'market' the place failed miserably, not sure why as I wasn't really privy to those projects.

What I'd like to see is a re-consolidation of its main market, ie the notes, and subsequently the forums. Build a brand new backend which can handle notes in a more standardised way, I know there are plenty of freeware textboxes out there that handle word formatting, and have these write to the database, rather than the uploading of individual files. Also make going through notes less tedious for mods and admins, cos they are pretty fucking awful, I remember the days of endless pages of crap just to get one or two decent notes, then finding you have to reupload the file cos there were certain things you had to change/take out (people...don't leave your fucking names and student numbers in your assignments please, for your sake more than ours).

Etc.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Without Wings said:
As to an actual 'list' of the first moderators etc you would have to ask one of the admin or original members as i'm pretty much stretching my memory to remember stuff i've been told...
Ex-mods from memory:
Asquithian (Non-School I think)
acmilan (HSC SOR and Maths)
Asylum (Music)
withoutaface/Calculon (HSC Maths)
babydoll_/acute (UNSW?)
McLake (HSC Maths)
stazi (BOS marketing)
PwarYeux (twice a mod, for HSC hebrew or history or such)
MoonlightSonata (Law, NCAP)
NTB/not-that-bright (NCAP?)
grk_style (HSC English?)
ujuphleg (HSC English?)
Nobody Listened (VCE general)
bubz (now an admin)
minai (was a mod and admin)
jhakka (HSC English?)
Tenille (?)
cro_angel (?)
glitterfairy (HSC English?)
Generator (Law, NCAP I think)
Xayma (HSC Physics & Maths)
Tulipa (?)
Slidey/me (HSC & VCE maths).

Anybody care to expand/correct the list?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
flyin' - MQ forums before I took it on for a bit (not sure if he's still around?)
sunny - I think did IT
Was Generator a mod at one stage?
Lexicographer - NS and maybe something else early on.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
cro_angel is still a mod and not an ex-mod. but i remeber she did croatian.

flyin...wasnt she a super-mod?

haha i remember when we use to joke around about the awesome mod stick...

wait there is a mod stick right....???

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Tulipa said:
Cause that one mod me121 who thinks plagiarism should be allowed in the HSC is like sooo much better.
you have taken that out of context. it all depends on what you consider plagiarism to be, and i only think so in some situations. also, as far as i'm aware mods can have opinions. if you still want to discuss this, then please do it in the other thread, not this one.

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
tulipa werent you a benefactor?

and i thought cro was still a mod for the employment section.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)