Who thinks the HSC is unfair? (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
scaling is quite fair, because it removes the inflations added on by moderation, and makes each subject comparable. it's not as if the dudes at the scaling centre go 'lololol omg let's scale up 4u by 25% and cos like, va is a crap subject, let's scale it down'
it's based upon how good the cohort is, so i think it's quite fair

Bar901

HSC
I reckon scaling is pretty unfair. Getting band 5s in good scaling subjects like Physics and Chemistry help your ATAR more than say getting a band 5 in Aboriginal studies, the ATAR system seems to be giving more of an advantage to people good at science based subjects rather than students good at artsy subjects.
So do you think a band 5 in Aboriginal studies deserves the same reward as a band 5 in Physics? Scaling may not be perfect, but the simple fact is the HSC DOES reward "real" subjects over easy and artsy subjects because that is simply how school works.

Scaling, as I said, isn't pefect, but it is far from "unfair". You might notice it is generally only the people doing easy subjects who complain about scaling.

HSC
Uni Grad
so do you think a band 5 in aboriginal studies deserves the same reward as a band 5 in physics? Scaling may not be perfect, but the simple fact is the hsc does reward "real" subjects over easy and artsy subjects because that is simply how school works.

Scaling, as i said, isn't pefect, but it is far from "unfair". You might notice it is generally only the people doing easy subjects who complain about scaling.
+1

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
So do you think a band 5 in Aboriginal studies deserves the same reward as a band 5 in Physics? Scaling may not be perfect, but the simple fact is the HSC DOES reward "real" subjects over easy and artsy subjects because that is simply how school works.

Scaling, as I said, isn't pefect, but it is far from "unfair". You might notice it is generally only the people doing easy subjects who complain about scaling.
Define what an "easy subject" is.

noelknows

HSC
I reckon scaling is pretty unfair. Getting band 5s in good scaling subjects like Physics and Chemistry help your ATAR more than say getting a band 5 in Aboriginal studies, the ATAR system seems to be giving more of an advantage to people good at science based subjects rather than students good at artsy subjects.
Just because physics or chemistry scales better than aboriginal studies doesn't mean the same for all humanities. Aboriginal studies is hardly representative of those high scaling humanities like history extension and english extension 1 and 2.

You think getting equal marks yet different scaling in, for example, chemistry and aboriginal studies is unfair!!!?

Those two subjects are not directly comparable!
There is a disparity in the difficulties of subjects, which is what scaling attempts to account for.

I think it would be unfair not for a mark in chemistry to scale better than an equal mark in, say, aboriginal studies. Chemistry is a much more rigourous, and challenging, subject!

It's not hard people!

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
new south wales hates the fine arts and humanities and they target this at senior high school students as an attempt to cripple the left wing demographics ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

no, i shouldn't express my anger here. i shall sketch a political satire cartoon to calm my nerves
If you actually look at the scaling stats, there are more arts/humanities subjects in the top 10 scaling courses than there are maths/science subjects, if I remember correctly. Extension English scales very well, as do some of the Music courses and a few other humanities.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
If you actually look at the scaling stats, there are more arts/humanities subjects in the top 10 scaling courses than there are maths/science subjects, if I remember correctly. Extension English scales very well, as do some of the Music courses and a few other humanities.
Music 2 and Music ext. scale well as far as I know. Music 1 gets left behind though as I found out yesterday.

noelknows

HSC
Plus, scaling also takes into account the overall performance of candidates in the particular subject, as well as a particular candidates performance in other subjects. It's very comprehensive.
Sure things may not be 100% fair. But it's the best we can get.

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC

Why is Physics more important than Ab studies? What the fuck makes physics a 'real' subject?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
Why is Physics more important than Ab studies? What the fuck makes physics a 'real' subject?
I don't thinkBar901 said that Phys is more important than Ab Studies. It's just that Physics is, to most people, more difficult to score higher marks in than ab studies.

Edit: As ajdlinux said

HSC
Define what an "easy subject" is.
i agree. i hate when people say "easy" subject.
tbh with you, for me visual arts would probably be the hardest subject LOL. i cannot draw/paint , anything of the sort to save my life!

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Just because physics or chemistry scales better than aboriginal studies doesn't mean the same for all humanities. Aboriginal studies is hardly representative of those high scaling humanities like history extension and english extension 1 and 2.

You think getting equal marks yet different scaling in, for example, chemistry and aboriginal studies is unfair!!!?

Those two subjects are not directly comparable!
There is a disparity in the difficulties of subjects, which is what scaling attempts to account for.

I think it would be unfair not for a mark in chemistry to scale better than an equal mark in, say, aboriginal studies. Chemistry is a much more rigourous, and challenging, subject!

It's not hard people!
Aboriginal Studies was a bad example, say it was Legal Studies instead. Legal Studies scales lower than Physics and Chemistry but I find Legal harder than Physics and Chemistry. So the scaling system is benefiting me because my talent lies more in science related subjects more than someone who is good at Legal.

philphie

Banned
HSC

then you might as well get rid of all the humanities and arts subjects to have everyone on level ground and do all the sci subjects who don't want to be doing those subjects to scale all those who want to do the sci subjects down.

and from that basis where will our lawyers come from? our future public servants?

Azarnakumar

Banned
HSC
Humanities and arts are just as 'real', important and challenging as sciences and maths. The HSC is an exam of memory and its single purpose is to churn out university students. It may be unrealistic but I believe we need a system which caters to all kinds of intelligence and prepares students for the real word.

Last edited:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Aboriginal Studies was a bad example, say it was Legal Studies instead. Legal Studies scales lower than Physics and Chemistry but I find Legal harder than Physics and Chemistry. So the scaling system is benefiting me because my talent lies more in science related subjects more than someone who is good at Legal.
Conversely, I found Legal to be easier than Physics and Chem (even though I'm usually called a maths/science oriented person). The scaling system recognises that most Legal Studies candidates are not of the same level as most Physics or MX2 candidates. Obviously, everyone's cases are different, but the system has to handle the whole cohort.

Bar901

HSC

Yep, the system does, and always will, benefit some people more than others. That is pretty much the basis of it.

noelknows

HSC

I take your point. Difficulty is relevant to the abilities and talents of each individual. Yet even then there is a sort of balance built into the system. If you're better at humanities then it is expected you will get good marks in, say, legal, which reduces the effects of scaling down. Wherever your talent lies, the marks will come and scaling will be irrelevant.

I'm still not sure if you can claim any equality between legal and physics/chem, it could be like comparing legal and ext 1 maths. It is difficult to quantify difficulty...or is it? A more accurate comparison could be legal and 2 unit maths, which scale about the same.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Humanities and arts are just as 'real', important and challenging as sciences and maths. The HSC is an exam of memory and its single purpose is to churn out university students. It may be unrealistic but I believe we need a system which caters to all kinds of intelligence and prepares students for the real word.
I agree despite the fact this guy negged me for no reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)