Who thinks the HSC is unfair? (1 Viewer)

mamoz

HSC
meeeeeee and i fink how they calculated the atar was unfaiir..
ahhh! :mad:

Schoey93

HSC
The HSC is a little bit unfair. A lot of the courses seem (and probably are) very boring; modifying the content of courses to make them more interesting would make the HSC fairer. Students would be more interested and hence more motivated to do well. I would say scaling is definitely unfair - I agree that it has to be done, but I think that students should have easy access to their raw and scaled marks.

The HSC is OK. I think the International Baccaulaureate Diploma is a fairer academic program than the HSC. There is no scaling, but there are rules on what subjects you can select. The downside to the IB Diploma is that although it has a great reputation worldwide and is recognised by more countries than the HSC, it doesn't offer anywhere near as many subjects.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
No. Why would you think? Im interested.

Though I suppose the scaling for humanties could be higher.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
No. Anyone with the appropriate level of academic ability can do well in the HSC. Yes, to get the best results you have to understand the system well and play the game, but honestly it's not that hard.

(I do think the IB does sound like a more balanced program, but it's not widely available outside of Sydney.)

K

khorne

well I have to admit it's pretty crap, :( 67
Point proven.

Op didn't try or was lazy or stuffed up a lot or had a lobotomy go wrong, and now the only thing to do is complain about the system...

GG, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Kaatie

HSC
i can see how its a matter of 'playing the game'. for me doing things like memorising essays was an easy way to get a good atar, if there was a fairer way (which would be difficult to come up with) i probably wouldnt have done as well

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
Point proven.

Op didn't try or was lazy or stuffed up a lot or had a lobotomy go wrong, and now the only thing to do is complain about the system...

GG, you have no one to blame but yourself.
Can't blame him -.-

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
I mean, you can't blame him for complaining.

philphie

Banned
HSC
the way i see it, if you want to win the game of hsc you have to disregard all practical sensibilities in the subjects you're doing and just strive to be a model student. that's the best thing to do in the short run. the hsc doesn't care about people with natural ability that can be applied in real life in relation to their subjects or whatever careers are associated with your subjects. all you need is a good memory, that you can write extremely fast and neatly, and do high scaling subjects even if you don't like them or they have nothing to do with your future career paths.

i'm quite an eccentric and refused to comply with these methods so i didn't come out as a big grinning winner, but hey, at least i'll do better in the long run.

the easiest way to fall out of the hsc is if you're smart and you get cocky so you don't study.

HSC
Uni Grad
I think the english course is plenty unfair, it needs a seriously massive overhaul/revision. That said I say the HSC is fair enough.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
i think the compulsory english is unfair
i also think its unfair.

they should keep the study of english compulsory, but not have its score compulsorarily recorded. people like me born in australia have a disadvantage due to the choice of language, but not neccesarily have crapper skills in literature analysis or communicaiton or whatever else is gain from studying a language.

Hornby

Banned
HSC
the way i see it, if you want to win the game of hsc you have to disregard all practical sensibilities in the subjects you're doing and just strive to be a model student. that's the best thing to do in the short run. the hsc doesn't care about people with natural ability that can be applied in real life in relation to their subjects or whatever careers are associated with your subjects. all you need is a good memory, that you can write extremely fast and neatly, and do high scaling subjects even if you don't like them or they have nothing to do with your future career paths.

i'm quite an eccentric and refused to comply with these methods so i didn't come out as a big grinning winner, but hey, at least i'll do better in the long run.

the easiest way to fall out of the hsc is if you're smart and you get cocky so you don't study.
I agree 100% with the first paragraph, however whether you will do better in the long run all depends on how said individual applies themselves after the HSC. Getting a high ATAR makes it easier, but doesn't necessarily mean you will do better.

I chose what I liked and he vast majority happened to scale highly so i got what I needed, but the only disadvantage I saw was people using tutors to write their essays/creatives for them. The ones who worked really hard got rewarded

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)