who wants to be a lawyer? (1 Viewer)

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
whos doing law with the aim of becoming a liar, i mean lawyer (ahaha original)

and who is doing it with some other career path in mind?

personally i dont even know yet, i was hoping to copy someone elses answer

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
*mememe!*
i wanna be a lawyer!

or otherwise if i fail my LLB, i wanna be a rich lawyerette's whippin' bitch. :D

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I'm going to challenge Asquithian's title of "grand wizard" or whatever it is he's gonna use through grass-roots military action. Using a combination of the Swiss and Al-Qaeda models :p

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
right here. Other section.

mack

Banned
HSC
I wanted to be, but it doesnt really seem like the profession for the new millenium. Aerospace engineering is newer and more exciting.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata's signature quote
MR WILSON: You have sworn an oath to Queen Elizabeth II, have you not?

GUMMOW J: Do not ask questions of the Bench please.

MR WILSON: You refuse to answer? ...I have included that as one of the documents for your enlightenment.

GUMMOW J: Do not use expressions like that either, please.

MR WILSON: Pardon?

GUMMOW J: Do not insult the Bench with expressions like that.

MR WILSON: What is wrong with "enlightenment"?
obviously he was representing himself?

give citation :)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
The law is just one big joke isn't it? :p

doe

HSC
N/A
what do you guys think of the hours junior lawyers put in for fairly crap pay?

something you just gotta do?

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
its more for the experience at first, think of it like paid work experience... i mean, in the end u'll end up as a filthy rich, arrogant, BMW/BENZ driving, cheapass-who-won't-give-change-to-a-homeless-man lawyer anyway

not that i have anything against lawyers of course :D

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
Originally posted by Ziff
The law is just one big joke isn't it? :p
its a joke that at least half the people who do law in most unis atm only do it because they had the marks to do so

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
some top notch self lawyering

CALLINAN J: Look, you cannot really ask me questions, but, yes, I did see it, Mr Wilson.

MR WILSON: Well, this is a two-way thing, you were asking me questions and I am asking you.

GUMMOW J: No, it is not a two-way thing, actually.

MR WILSON: It is not?

GUMMOW J: No.

MR WILSON: You are a dictator, are you?

MR WILSON: "You just lay down and I say nothing."

MR WILSON: It is not on.

GUMMOW J: No, you are here to make your submissions on which we then rule.

MR WILSON: Yes.

GUMMOW J: We try to assist you by asking questions so that you can respond to what is on our mind.

MR WILSON: Your job - - -

GUMMOW J: Do not lecture us on what our job is, please.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
MR WILSON: Are you saying they can? That is another question. Are you saying that - - -

GUMMOW J: I am not here to answer your questions.

MR WILSON: Well, that is what it is all about.

GUMMOW J: Your time - - -

MR WILSON: That is why I am here today.

GUMMOW J: Your time - no, you are not here today for all of that. And, your time is almost up.

MR WILSON: I will be coming back time and time again because this issue must never be destroyed. Justice, which is the protection of rights, must never be destroyed in Australia.

GUMMOW J: Now - - -

MR WILSON: In spite of the judges, in spite of the Parliaments, justice must never be destroyed in Australia. Justice is, again, the protection of rights and the punishment of wrongs.

GUMMOW J: Now, your time is almost up.

MR WILSON: No, I intend to go on time and time again.

GUMMOW J: No, no, no. On this particular occasion your time is almost up and I am inviting you to sum up anything more you want to say before the red light - - -

MR WILSON: It is very simple. I am saying the same thing over and over again. I have included a copy of a case in the Court of Appeal in England and Wales. Here they uphold the right to trial by jury where a trial by jury was denied.
:rofl: i lubz law.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Hahahah!

MR WILSON: ... So, all the cases I have had over the last six years where I have been denied trial by jury - and this is just another one - they are to be struck out because I have been denied this most fundamental right, this protection of freedom of trial by jury.

GUMMOW J: Yes. Well, the red light is now on.

MR WILSON: It is not going to stop me.

GUMMOW J: I am afraid it is. We will hear you no further.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
laz, help! i'm doing a practice question for a past paper... does this sound alright for a 10 mark question (for a 60 mark exam)?

In my discussion of the contractual and statutory consumer provisions, I shall deal with the following issues: the hospital’s contract for the sale of masks, the advertisement in the Herald Newspaper and the sale of masks to the consumers who subsequently suffered damage.

The hospital in the article entered into a contract with Evans Pty Ltd. for the supply of 1000 SARS masks. Evans subsequently could not meet the demand for the quantity of masks within the stipulated time, because “demand was so strong” and “they had made a much bigger profit on the masks sold to the customers”. Therefore Evans is seen to have breached what is an essential term of the contract.

If the term of delivery was a condition, then the hospital may seek to repudiate the contract and sue Evans for damages. If the term of delivery was one of warranty, then the hospital cannot rescind the contract but can apply for the equitable remedy of specific performance and/or sue for damages.

Since the article does not clarify on the matter, an alternative scenario is Evans could not meet the hospital’s demand because of forces beyond its control, such as the running out of raw materials. In this case the contract is terminated by frustration, whereby the hospital can rescind the contract and recover any monies paid.

The second issue is that of the advertisement. An advertisement was placed in the Herald Newspaper for the sale of “SARS-proof masks” and the company guaranteed it was impossible to catch SARS through the masks. Since two consumers have subsequently been infected with SARS, Evans might find that the advertisement is in breach of section 52 of Trade Practices Act for misleading and deceptive conduct and it is in breach of the penalty provision Section 75AZC(1)(a) of the same Act for false representation of standards and quality.

It is in breach of s 52 because Evans is “a corporation… in trade or commerce… [engaging] in conduct which is misleading or deceptive”: in this case, it is an untruth to state that the masks are SARS-proof. Breach of s 52 would give rise for a claim for damages by the consumers, ancillary orders to publish the truth and an injunction to order Evans to stop advertising in this way.

It is a breach of s 75AZC(1)(a) because Evans is “a corporation… in connection with the promotion of any means of supply… falsely represent[ing] that the goods are of a particular standard, quality, grade”. As per the decision in Hartnell v Sharp Corp of Australia (1975), such a false representation could lead to a maximum penalty of $1.1 million for a corporation like Evans.

The final issue is that of the Evan’s liability as a manufacturer. The liability of a manufacturer arises when the consumer (in this case Kevin and Jean) suffers personal injury because of the defective nature of the goods. Under Part V Division 2A of TPA, Evan’s as a manufacturer is liable because the goods are not of a merchantable quality (s 74D), they are not fit for the purposes for which the goods are supplied (s 74B), they do not correspond with description as ‘SARS-proof’ (S 74C). Further they are liable under the same section for breach of the express warranties they made in their advertising material (s 74G). Consumers who suffer personal damage as a result of manufacturer liability can bring an action for damages against the manufacturer without the need to prove negligence under this Division.

Therefore it can be seen that Evans is liable on many accounts. They are liable for damages and penalties due to their failure to supply and subsequent breach of the hospital’s contract. They are liable to the consumers for the misleading and deceptive conduct and false representations in their advertising. Furthermore they are liable for their liability as a manufacturer of those masks to the consumers for failure to ensure the masks are of merchantable quality and fit for the purpose of protecting against SARS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)