Who Wants to Go to "JAPAN"? (1 Viewer)

born2bkinggg

HSC
ok i've heard about all the stories of JAPAN being a high tech country full of anime stuff and crap but i was wondering if this is all true? do they have like a whole store full of anime? (thats wat my fwen says) and is the currency expensive?

advanced sam

HSC
N/A
born2bkinggg said:
ok i've heard about all the stories of JAPAN being a high tech country full of anime stuff and crap but i was wondering if this is all true? do they have like a whole store full of anime? (thats wat my fwen says) and is the currency expensive?

me!me!me! i wanna go to Japan.

dont know about the whole anime stuff, but nah at the moment the yen is pretty much parallel with the aust dollar, i think nearly $1 for $1. so you wont get ripped off or anything. thats pretty good

born2bkinggg

HSC
advanced sam said:
not really hey? lol

your name is a song from the lion king movie.

ps: i think. i dont watch it either:eek:
LOL i was thinking that aswell!

CieL

HSC
It depends on where in Japan you're headed to.

All the hi-tech shit is centred around the Toyko area.. they have a location called Akihabara which is this huge street of complexes devoted to electronics. The weird [somewhat cosplay] people are at Shinjuku.

I've seen bookstores with levels entirely devoted to anime..

Currency is not expensive.
100 yen = approx au$1

Normal/plain food is rarely over 800yen. Great food is cheap too.

Designer shit is cheap as dirt over there.
I jawdropped when the au$300 True Religion jeans were being sold in Japan for au$80.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Anime is pretty much everywhere, there's a theme park centred around a particular artist (can't remember who).

Lots of technology, you'll get jealous that their mobile phones won't work here.

Places I recommend-
- kiyomizu-dera. Huge temple built on a hillside, very impressive.
Basically there's a walk through Kyoto where you see lots of the temples. Be prepared to walk up many many stairs.
- Shibuya crossing. Biggest crossing in the world, it's crazy.
- Any toy store in Akihabara. The area is great for electronics, but most of it won't work over here. You can pimp out your ipod with the accessories, though.
- Asakusa. It's a part of Tokyo that's a bit more traditional, very good for souvenir shopping.
- Harajuku, if you're into teenage japanese fashion. It's fun for a browse.

Basically, the most valuable thing is someone who speaks Japanese and a Lonely Planet, and a JR train pass if you plan on going on many trains. Don't be afraid of cheap accommodation.

Ceestar

HSC
Yeah I want to go to Japan!
I'm the biggest anime freak ever, in a different way... meaning I don't know of every series that has ever existed, I just get really into a select few series.
Japan's way ahead of Australia when it comes to technology, so yes they have super awesome hi-tech stuff over there.
Of course the biggest reason I want to go right this minute is the Rock Bleach Musical performances taking place this week in Tokyo...

Hopefully going to Japan after HSC.

Oh, and forgot to mention, yes they do have anime centred stores, such as Jump Shop, a store selling merchandise of most series plushied in Weekly Shonen Jump I believe.
There are even small stores dedicated to one series alone.

Last edited:

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Definately recommend it.

I went over there for a couple of months last year, staying at friends houses that I met through uni when they were here on study abroad and various hotels in major cities.

Cant recommend it high enough. As has been said above, places in Tokyo like Asakusa, Harajuku, Shibuya, Shinjuku, and Akihabara are good touristy places.

Only other thing I must recommend is that you take the shinkansen (bullet train) from Tokyo to Hiroshima. 1,200km in just under 4 hours...feels like flying.

Hiroshima has some intensely heart-wrenching museums displaying items and stories from when the A-Bomb was dropped over it. It has some really cheap accomodation. I stayed in a 5-star hotel for $50 per night, because the Jap Govt setup a fund to allow young tourists to stay in Hiroshima to visit the sites.

When I went over there, I experienced both a 3 day Typhoon and an Earthquake that measured 7 on the richter scale. Needless to say, I definately got my moneys worth in experiences.

Last edited:

memadison

HSC
Japan is mad, i went with school at the end of year 9. cuz it was a school trip didnt do any crazy anime stuff but Tokyo was pretty hightech. spent quite a bit of time other cities like osaka and hiroshima. stayed in this mad village type place in the mountains....its crazy the variety hey. one thing that shocked me was their massive department stores...seriously a whole floor was devoted to phone bling... the harijuku girls are pretty cool too. sounds good about the exchange rate, when i went it was expensive. their rail system is so good.
i so want to go back it was mad.

toby12

HSC
i've been to japan. :D

march, last year. pretty amazing place.. like when you're on the train they all either sleep or play with some crazy gizmo, harijuku is just full of weirdly dresses teenagers getting there photo taken with different people and all japanese are so cleann!

Foxodi

HSC
Japan has been one of my favourite places every since I was like 8, and now since being introduced to some anime, I defiantly want to go there; hopefully I will do a 6 month exchange during uni.

born2bkinggg

HSC
OH MY BUDDHA! (this is azn way of saying "ohh my god" and yes its an azn thing))

U GUYS MAKE ME SO WANNA GO TO JAPAN!

i wanna go after the hsc. Do u guys know of wats a good place to go for the teenage fashion and anime and cosplay stuff?

P.S yes i am anime freak (but not thoe freaks who like are obsessed with it)
and by the way if i go with more ppl will the ticket cost a lot cheaper?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
born2bkinggg said:
OH MY BUDDHA! (this is azn way of saying "ohh my god" and yes its an azn thing))

U GUYS MAKE ME SO WANNA GO TO JAPAN!

i wanna go after the hsc. Do u guys know of wats a good place to go for the teenage fashion and anime and cosplay stuff?

P.S yes i am anime freak (but not thoe freaks who like are obsessed with it)
and by the way if i go with more ppl will the ticket cost a lot cheaper?
haha no, unless you go with a tour group. Travel in February, it's cold but it's really cheap. I recommend Jetstar for students, because it's cheap.

If you care to read the thread you'll see that teenage fashion and cosplay are centred around Harajuku and Shinjuku, there were a few in Shibuya when I was there.

lildoro

HSC
Ahh~! Nippon ga daisuki~!!! ^3^;

I love Japanese culture and I'd love to go to Japan... <3 And I'm actually not a huge anime freak either =p

born2bkinggg

HSC
I know i feel gay doing this but my sister wants to know:

"is there any hot guys in Japan?"

..long story dun ask why i'm doing this....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)