• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Whom to obey with conflicting messages; teacher or study guides and reccomendations? (1 Viewer)

spiderpig333

first year B.A.
HSC
My brother is doing History Memory 50th Gate and his teacher said that they are not allowed to do any ww2 Holocaust realted texts. But so many study guides 'a good idea to have another representation of the Holocaust which you can use to compare and contrast with the approach taken in The Fiftieth Gate' particularly Maus. So whom is more trustworthy in order to get a good HSC mark? The school ranks very lowly, so I'd be inclined to reccomend him to ignore the teacher and do Maus as realted text, however I do not want to give poor advice he'll regret later so what do you think?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Re: Whom to obey with conflicting messages; teacher or study guides and reccomendatio

Study Guides recommend other holocaust texts because it's easier to draw comparisons; and let's face it, if you're the type of person who needs the study guide, you're more likely to want an easy text.

He'd be better off picking a non-holocaust text that has similar themes, because a thematic comparison is always going to be stronger than a content comparison.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Whom to obey with conflicting messages; teacher or study guides and reccomendatio

At the end of the day, its not your teacher marking. I would say if its in a study guide, it has some validity.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Except that the study guide is giving bland, generic advice that's easy to follow for middle range marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)