whos been done for plagarism? (2 Viewers)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Is there any way we can somehow use that plagarising software to check if we're ok in terms of paraphrasing etc?

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
yeah thats what that software checks....i think its called "Turn It In"

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
honky tonk said:
I got marks taken off a Biology report last year because one of my references had a page range. The marker told me I was supposed to just indicate the starting page number.

Needless to say, I wasn't happy.
ahahahaha, did he really do that? I thought it was bad losing a mark on a psych thing coz I had ; instead of spaces.

emily...the unis need to buy a licence to use Turnitin, Newcastle was one of the front runners of Australian unis in this, mainly because of the trouble we had in Malaysia, or whatever, but not all uni's have done it yet.

GTR

HSC
Wow that was a useful post
Natstar is well known for her totally useless posts. You should see her in the UWS forum.
What makes it more funny is that she classifies these posts as "constructive" in nature.
Feel free to venture into the UWS forums if you want to read more of Natstar's "constructive" posts.

As for plagiarism, i have not intentionally been involved in anything remotely resembling this conduct. However, i automatically failed an assignment for not typing my reference list properly. I did not follow the structure presribed by the university, and instantly went from a credit to a fail. I learnt my lesson.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I had an assessment due last week which I quoted big chunks out of the textbook cause it said 'link theory with practise' and my source of theory was the textbook. I don't care if thats not what I was meant to do, cause I referenced it and they didn't tell us not to do that.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I had an assessment due last week which I quoted big chunks out of the textbook cause it said 'link theory with practise' and my source of theory was the textbook. I don't care if thats not what I was meant to do, cause I referenced it and they didn't tell us not to do that.
How were your marks?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Lexicographer said:
How were your marks?
I haven't got it back yet. My tutor said if you only used the textbook you would pass, and I used an extra source, so hopefully I passed.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
It may be different for your courses, but for all of mine, the tutors have emphasised that quoting big chunks will not get you marks. It is far better paraphrasing it. You can use an idea from another source to back up what you're saying, or to critically analyse it, but it shouldn't be used much. In my political economy thingo of 650 words I used 6 sources, and perhaps quoting and paraphrasing constituted only about 80 of those words.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
It may be different for your courses, but for all of mine, the tutors have emphasised that quoting big chunks will not get you marks. It is far better paraphrasing it. You can use an idea from another source to back up what you're saying, or to critically analyse it, but it shouldn't be used much. In my political economy thingo of 650 words I used 6 sources, and perhaps quoting and paraphrasing constituted only about 80 of those words.
I didn't just quote chunks, I also did my own writing. But this was an assessment which I couldn't really use that many sources. I only needed 1 extra source for one of the sections. But for my econ assessment I used about 6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)