Whos glad they did General!?! (1 Viewer)

a_person86

HSC
Personally, General over Advanced was my best subject choice i ever made. People discouraging me like scaling is bad, its bullshit if you do well you will scale relatively well. I spent alot less time studying for General as oppose to what i wouldve for Advanced and ultimately i will receive a better scaled mark! General Maths is so much better, more logic to it, you use it everyday. Sure you may use calculas in economic degrees, and a couple other topics may appear, but i prefer to learn those particular topics when i come around to it, then fuck my HSC up with Advanced maths. Am I alone on this, or do others agree???

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
we'll see when i get my results.

advance sucked hard

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i guess ive found it alot more relevant as all of the problems are day to day situations.. because im not really going to do a career based around mathematics or science so i didnt really need it (just to be able to teach in schools u need to have done any 2u of maths and english)
my classes were fun too.. like our maths classes were graded (except for one class on the other line) so in my class we were all pretty willing to learn, which is a good environment to be in

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
aww.. you got a pretty cool class

half of the people in my class never turns up :S :S :mad:

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
I would have liked to have seen what 2unit was like (especially because it ranks a little better than general), but I dropped it about 6 weeks into the preliminary course. I actually really liked the General Maths course though. I found it really well structured, but I also had an awesome teacher. Hopefully I don't do too bad - but I really found it to be an overall good course.

HSC
i just dropped down to general the other day because i too am not going to have a career based around science or maths -eww!

and all your comments have made me feel much better about my decision.

general maths is SOOOO much better

a_person86

HSC
Well i was playing around with SAM the other day and i noticed something very interesting. When comparing General to Advanced Maths, it looked something like this:

HSC Mark 100 95 90 85 80
General 88.8 83 76.6 70 62.4
Advanced 100 90.4 81 74.2 67.4

Obviously if you can get 100 in Advanced, better off doing that... but its very much possible to achieve band 6 for General without as much workload. Me personally wouldve been lucky even getting 60z for Advanced, but now with General i am able to achieve band 6, which would be equivalent to over 85 in advanced! Think about it! People that say General has shit scaling, Advanced will scale you up is full of shit. you need to really perform in Advanced for a benefit, if you just another joe blow getting 70z or so, you would perform and achieve much better results in General, and that includes scaled mark. General Maths rules!

Last edited:
HSC
i was worried there for a moment - i thought you were gonna go on about hoe general's scaling is bad

which would be shit cos i do it now

BUT u've just made me feel a whole lot better

a_person86

HSC
Npz, i am here to make all general students feel better about themselves :). The maths co-ordinator gave me a lecture b4 dropping me down on day 1 of yr 11. Now in year 12, i came first by a long shot, i am actually noticed for once for my ability, and will surely receive a better scaled result!

Advanced Mathematics is a shit subject, and it keeps gettin worse the more units you do --- FUK my uncle told me 4 unit is imaginary shit - WTF!!!

But yeh, go GENERAL! Im glad this course is avaliable, i see it as easy marks :)
Plz note - i was drunk while writing this!

a_person86

HSC
My assignment ripped the shit out of yours! Anyway, i was 15 marks above second in raw assessment mark, so regardless of any marks i may have gotten, i was still going to get the same rank.

S

SamStewart

good choice

hell yeh general maths is the better one to choose.. unless u can get 100% and come first in advanced maths...
you DO use it in everyday stuff i agree, but also its just more simple and if you can do really well in general maths (which is easy , im coming first in my school), then yeh it will help u... advanced maths needs too much study and time put into it.. so yeh im glad i chose general. good luck in everyones results, YAAAA Da rankings are coming out on friday (12th november or whatever) afternoon on the studentsonline website (www.studentsonline.nsw.edu.au) so yeah...

Scanorama

HSC
ME! I was so happy when i dropped to general last year from 2U maths. I spent more time across all subjects rather than just maths alone. I came first in my year in general maths, im sure I wouldnt get anywhere close to it if i stayed at 2U maths :)

69^boi

HSC
N/A
i like general maths i did it from the beg of yr11 it was my 1st choice!!

also is it possible to get over 90+uai with gen and std eng?

i juz started y12 n i have gen ass. in 3 weeks time

do any get a tudor 4 gen maths or its not dat neccessary!?

Danoz The Great

HSC
69^boi said:
also is it possible to get over 90+uai with gen and std eng?QUOTE]

Yeah, some dude at my school got a Premier's award thingy a couple of years ago. He got about 92 for a UAI I think, and he did both Gen Maths and Standard English. :)

craz

HSC
I really have to agree general is great for day to day situations. It helps especially me wanting to be a teacher ;) forget about science...really, so no 2/3 unit maths. It is a very well structured course General Mathematics - it should be encouraged more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)