Whos going to UNSW, that lives in west sydney. (1 Viewer)

Static

HSC
Does anyone currently go there, if so, by car or train+bus?

Thinking about going there but dreading the travel, hopefully wanna get abit of a car pool happening to share costs + break the bordem.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I kno ppl that live in Blacktown and such that travel by train...apparently takes like 1 hr all up to get to uni

yoshi

Well, if by west you mean out near Campbelltown, I used to live there and my dad went to unsw catching bus+train+bus to uni nearly every day for a few years. It will be cheaper than a car (depending if you own it or not), but more frustrating.

Hell, even from where I live (near Sutherland, south of Sydney) it took me 2 hours to get to uni cause I had to catch a bus, train and another bus. With a car it takes me around 45 minutes with good traffic. :/

Public transport hurrah!

Huy

HSC
N/A
Yep, it takes about an hour to get to UNSW from where I'm at (Fairfield).

If I get into UNSW (I haven't really decided yet on which uni), I'll be going by train and bus (and walking!)

I like public transport, it's always interesting. Not that I listen in on conversations or anything! There's always some nice people on the trains, ;)

But if I'm going to UNSW (and chances are, I will), then I'll be going by train and bus - so you might see me? We'll talk for the hour or two, to and from uni. :D

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Im worried about travelling, but looking at what you people are saying, i think its alright if i go to UNSW--also Commerce has a better reputation at UNSW than Sydney...
i dont know about where i live..prolly..South West?..well yeah near Campsie.

I HATE travelling!! :(

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
I kno ppl that live in Blacktown and such that travel by train...apparently takes like 1 hr all up to get to uni
nah it's longer than that, it would be about 45-50 mins on the train alone, then waiting for the bus, then catching it to UNSW..

for those who live out west, have you thought about living in Kingsford? It's the suburb next to UNSW and most places you can walk to UNSW in under 5 mins. For your own room, some people are getting it for around $110-$130 per week, and if you can get centrelink/rent assistance, then it shouldn't be a problem (especially if you combine this with a casual job) :)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by j-belle
nah it's longer than that, it would be about 45-50 mins on the train alone, then waiting for the bus, then catching it to UNSW..
Actually no, trains from Blacktown reach Central within 40 minutes when running properly. I had to catch them every day for six years.

As for the Kingsford option, it's probably a much better idea financially when compared to with the costs you'll incur in both train fares and lost time/energy. Two hours on a train and bus every day really takes it out of you, which can seriously affect your studies.

Winston

HSC
i duno i wanted to go to UNSW but fuck man from Casula catch bus early in the morning to liverpool which will take 20 minutes, then wait for train, catch train for 1 hour or more, then get off then catcha bus for 10 - 15 minutes, i don't think i could handle it especially with the long hours in computing, and if i have to stay up and study etc shit it's too hard.

Static

HSC
i'm from casula (liverpool) area too.
what school did you go to?

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
i duno i wanted to go to UNSW but fuck man from Casula catch bus early in the morning to liverpool which will take 20 minutes, then wait for train, catch train for 1 hour or more, then get off then catcha bus for 10 - 15 minutes, i don't think i could handle it especially with the long hours in computing, and if i have to stay up and study etc shit it's too hard.
i wanna go to unsw too, lucky i live near lidcombe, so i can get express trains to central etc

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Static
i'm from casula (liverpool) area too.
what school did you go to?

All Saints Casula

u?

Originally posted by babydoll_
i wanna go to unsw too, lucky i live near lidcombe, so i can get express trains to central etc

lol lucky you! :p

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by babydoll_
Hey I use to live in Lidcombe! Way back in 97-99

But on a completely unrelated note:
Dear Applicant

I regret to inform you that you have not been selected for an interview in January for UNSW Medicine Program and your application for medicine has therefore been unsuccessful.
D'oh! But I'm still considering UNSW, along with the rest (USYD, UTS, MQ).

Though I'm starting to have my doubts about MQ.

Winston, you're in pretty much the same position as I am. It takes me about 20 minutes just to walk from my home, to Fairfield station - then waiting for trains, getting off at Central, waiting for buses, more walking (and of course, the long hours and studying).

On any given day, you can waste a fair few hours just travelling to/from uni. :chainsaw:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Hey I use to live in Lidcombe! Way back in 97-99

But on a completely unrelated note:

D'oh! But I'm still considering UNSW, along with the rest (USYD, UTS, MQ).

Though I'm starting to have my doubts about MQ.

Winston, you're in pretty much the same position as I am. It takes me about 20 minutes just to walk from my home, to Fairfield station - then waiting for trains, getting off at Central, waiting for buses, more walking (and of course, the long hours and studying).

On any given day, you can waste a fair few hours just travelling to/from uni. :chainsaw:

Yeah exactly so i'm deciding if it's worth it i mean if i wake up late or miss the bus or im too tierd from work i mean travelling is quite tiering, and i know that some computer courses you have to stay longer hours :(

Last edited:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
People, people, people........... DRIVE. :)
In peak hour (8-9am) it takes me the best part of an hour from Hurstville. A friend who used to live nearby quoted 25 minutes (off peak and pissed off). Usually takes me about half an hour to get home.

If you carpool with someone (I go with my sister and sometimes her friend -- any of you guys live near Hurstville and need a ride?) the costs come out cheaper than bus/train, even with concession prices.

Huy

HSC
N/A
anti: some kids don't have cars, or licenses (hehehe).

From Hurstville is understandable, but not from south-western Sydney!

If someone's going to UNSW, and lives "near" Fairfield (would be great if you were in my area), then I'll carpool - since I can't drive (no Ps either). I'm lotsssssss of fun! (ego boost) :D

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
anti: some kids don't have cars, or licenses (hehehe).

From Hurstville is understandable, but not from south-western Sydney!

If someone's going to UNSW, and lives "near" Fairfield (would be great if you were in my area), then I'll carpool - since I can't drive (no Ps either). I'm lotsssssss of fun! (ego boost) :D
Hmmmm if herrick makes it into UNSW then... *ding* ;)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Winston: Too true, I think he's going to UNSW anyway (aviation or chemical engineering).

If he does, we'll be seeing a lot more of each other (and no, not in that way!) :p

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Winston: Too true, I think he's going to UNSW anyway (aviation or chemical engineering).

If he does, we'll be seeing a lot more of each other (and no, not in that way!) :p

HAHA You Fuck! :p you always have the whackest thoughts :p... hmmm now you made me think if that's true, me changes prefs then man

Huy

HSC
N/A
Winston: It would be funnier if we all went to UTS (for example) and left you at UNSW. :p

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Winston: It would be funnier if we all went to UTS (for example) and left you at UNSW. :p
lol i wouldn't care, i was intending UTS BscIT, but too many fobs my mum said and ill go shit fucked if i get grouped with fobs who suck at english and screw me over, and mum's like either USYD or UNSW son, take your pick! lol alrighty then hmmm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)