Whos going to UNSW, that lives in west sydney. (1 Viewer)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
That depends if you like maths :|

First year comp sci involves two sessions of maths, math 1a and math 1b (or higher math 1a and higher math 1b), plus discrete maths in one of the sessions.

ie, in one of your sessions 18 of your 24 units of study will be maths.

Joy.

Its not impossibly 'hard', you might find it challenging to keep up.

Our student cards have the magnetic strip at the back for swipe card access!! That alone is worth picking unsw over usyd hands down.

ooo swipe cards to get into the labs? :p...

hm yeah same as USYD for maths

this is the course outline for first yr of usyd

2 compulsory maths subjects each worth 3 CP
software compuslroy worth 6 CP
and two electives of your choice

hmmmmm i duno distance wise is still gettin gon my nerves, ok wanna tell me about the travel wise like is there always buses at every time, and like how often does a bus come after each, and ummm is the hours really long for comp sci would i have to stay at the uni really late

sunny

meh.
HSC
This will largely depend on how you manage to arrange your timetable - from my experience it hasn't been much later than 3pm on most days, except wednesday nights when I stay behind at uni for volleyball training till 8pm :)

Depending on your electives, you can expect around 20-24 hours per week of contact during first year.

The buses from the Central leave every several minutes in the mornings. And From the uni, they leave every 10 minutes or so during peak.

Winston

HSC
This will largely depend on how you manage to arrange your timetable - from my experience it hasn't been much later than 3pm on most days, except wednesday nights when I stay behind at uni for volleyball training till 8pm :)

Depending on your electives, you can expect around 20-24 hours per week of contact during first year.

The buses from the Central leave every several minutes in the mornings. And From the uni, they leave every 10 minutes or so during peak.

so i doubt i'd be doing volleyball LOL! so basically would it be 9 till 3?

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC

Our student cards have the magnetic strip at the back for swipe card access!! That alone is worth picking unsw over usyd hands down.
we do????
where can you use that??

sunny

meh.
HSC
If traditions remain unchanged......you can expect maths to be those uninspiring 9am starts!

I had a particularly long day in session 1 that went from 9 to 5.

I've uploaded my timetables from the last two sessions here for your viewing pleasure :)

It really varies alot with luck (and electives you pick)! You get to choose your own timetable - if you like to have 5 hours straight of classes you can do this and have shorter hours else where. If you don't like having classes scrunched together you can arrange your timetable so they're spread out - but of course you'd spend more time on campus.

There is no typical time - chances are no one on campus will even have the same timetable as you.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by jay2000
we do????
where can you use that??
From memory all CSE students' cards are programmed to have access to the cse labs.

I think maths students have access to the maths labs too.

Winston

HSC
Very interesting sunny, now you got me thinking alright now i'll let the students do a convincing for me on the 5th of jan :p!! hehe

but i really really like CSE from the looks of it but travelling is still pissing me off for some weird reason, probably because i don't know my way around the city and might end up stranded in the middle of no where.

sunny

meh.
HSC
You can of course ask more stuff at info day - I get paid for doing it on that day. :D

Winston

HSC
You can of course ask more stuff at info day - I get paid for doing it on that day. :D
HAHA how much? ;)

Hey! I'll tell the people "wow this student is good at explaining this course, he should get a raise"

:p... mmmm yeah you guessed right i want something out of it, like a donut :D!

sunny

meh.
HSC
haha!

I actually have no idea how much it is, but its "Standard pay rate for Student Assistants"....however much that is.

But hey I'll get a free UNSW Engineering t-shirt + "UNSW Computing" hat to add to my collection.

Winston

HSC
haha!

I actually have no idea how much it is, but its "Standard pay rate for Student Assistants"....however much that is.

But hey I'll get a free UNSW Engineering t-shirt + "UNSW Computing" hat to add to my collection.

Give us a free pen when i come visit alright? :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
Don't look at the website - it hasn't been updated since july 2002.

There are 3 divisions, div 1, div 2 and social. Division 1 needs trials to get into. We train on wednesday nights from 5pm to 8pm. Division 1 trains from 6:30 to 8, Division 2 from 5-6:30. Social plays all three hours. There are both guys and girls for div 1 and div 2, the social division is mixed.

In 2004 we might be able to get an extra hour of the gym, and might be starting at 4 for a social competition or extra training for the uni games team in around june/july.

Membership is $10 during o-week I think (normally $20) for the year, plus $40 training fee per semester. Theres also a special thing if you pay for the whole year in one go.

Division 1 and division 2 compete in outside tournaments like Sydney Cup (7 times a year, depends if we have a team that can go), North Sydney Cup, and division 1 is considering the SVL tournament for next year and the occasional friendly match. For div 2 and social theres a UTS cup that runs every thursday night. And of course theres the uni games.

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
ahh uni games..will be looking forward to that
hmm, if UNSW enter into SVL that will make things complicated for me as im currently with Sydney North Volleyball in there, can we get the teams though? i think to join SVL you n eed a team in ALL divisions, that being Div 1 + 2 mens + womens and U19s juniors mens and womens
thats currently whats stopping the new club, Baulkham Hills Volleyball from entering.

oh well, i'll learn more later on :)
thanks for the help
and i might need to drive on wednesday if thats the case :S

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Exeter
can we get the teams though?
In all likeliness - no :)

Being students at the same time makes it very hard for us to find a full team ready to play any time during the session. Like this year we missed out going to Good Neighbour in Canberra cause it was during exam period.

Most clubs notice a sharp decline in the number of people that show up at trainings during mid session and end of session ;) those silly undedicated people!

I'm in div 1...skill wise we're 'ok' :) Getting teamwork together is hard because of people constantly leaving/coming into the uni, but we do have a core div 1 team of 7 or so people that will be in the uni for another year or so.

Compared to other clubs like UTS, we are a weaker team because UNSW is a uni club, being open to UNSW people, but UTS is an open club accepting any high level players.

Last edited:

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
oh curses!
hehe, well 7 ppl for a div1 team? is that how many you take to UG's? isnt that a bit...little?
i dunno...fiiiiine....i guess ill have to make the 8 ;)
hope they gimme that damn scholarship

sunny

meh.
HSC
Our full div 1 side is actually bigger than 7 people! More like 12! Makes training possible :p

Its just theres the 'usuals' team that goes out to compete - and we tend to stick together in training that way as well.

One of the problems we noticed this year was the lack of commitment from some div 1 players - which caused us many problems in entering tournaments. Our div 1 side is not weak, but we hardly ever manage to send out the entire 'competition' team in full.

What we were hoping to do this year is to formally have a core competition div 1 team that basically get told at the beginning, you're here to play and you're serious about it and not just here to show your stuff then leave.

Having said that I don't mean you have to try out for the 'competition' team, it just so turns out that way its the same team of people going out to competitions.

Don't get me wrong - we're all a close knit and friendly bunch thats all :)

As for uni games - it'll depend on how many people want to go, and if theres too many, there'll probably be selections, if not - we always take people along for the party anyway :)

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
ahh thats always good..a nice hearty training squad
im like the opposite, i can usu make tournaments but may have a prob with every single training session, havign said that im usually better than most so should be alright
oh well, hope i can make the team first :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)