Who's gonna do 4u? (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Just as with any maths, you have to practice. Yes, understanding it is easy - like we all 'get' how to differentiate. But if they give a lengthy word problem which requires differentiation which is not immediately obvious - you're stuffed.

This is why doing questions is so important - because there are different ways to apply the same concept, through different styles of question.

hscishard

HSC
Understanding a concept and applying it are two different things. It's one thing to actually get the theory but it's another thing to know how draw upon that understanding and using it to solve unfamiliar problems. You could understand all the theory in Maths Ext2 but that's not enough to get a band E4 because this course has a huge emphasis on applications of your understanding to solve problems you've never seen before. This is what ultimately makes this course so challenging because once people actually see the solution to a problem they might be able to perfectly understand the logic behind it but if they were asked that question in an exam prior to seeing that solution, then they would experience difficulty in determining how to solve it (I'm sure current or former students know exactly what I mean).
Yea
Though if given enough time (varies widely), I'm sure most students(@4unit level) can figure it out eventually [unless it's one of those crazy questions]

HSC
Would one struggle with 4u if one has only gone through half of the 2u course and barely started any 3u topics?

Alkanes

HSC
For 4U they assume that you know your 2U and 3U content very well.

Aindan

HSC
4u is a great course, you just need to spend time on it, how much time depends on your natural ability. But if you are prepared to apply consistent effort, you should find 4u manageable and rewarding.

HSC
What if you have absolutely no aptitude for maffs? Is 4u still ideal if you're willing to study?

Aindan

HSC
definately, give it a go. You'll be surprised

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Would one struggle with 4u if one has only gone through half of the 2u course and barely started any 3u topics?
If you are not smart you will struggle. Smart is what you are born with. If you are not smart then you have chosen the wrong parents. Too late. It's irreversible.

That, unfortunately, is the inconvenient truth.

Last edited:

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
IMO, complex numbers isn't as interesting as say... CONICS, or... INTEGRATION.
Agreed. I was like "Ooooo Complex Numbers, this should be good" but it was pretty meh. 4U Integraion is (IMO) by far the best topic, and Conics has certainly grown on me!

jnney

lemon
HSC
If you are not smart you will struggle. Smart is what you are born with. If you are not smart then you have chosen the wrong parents. Too late. It's irreversible.

It's not about being 'smart', but rather your own persistence and desire to succeed.

HSC

Uh oh, I'm a goner :haha:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
It's not about being 'smart', but rather your own persistence and desire to succeed.
I wish it were so. I have dealt with so many struggling students. What an avg intelligent person takes a couple of attempts a struggler may still not get it after 10.

Also those struggling in maths lack the deductive reasoning ability that is the very foundation to successful mastery of maths. They cannot think logically.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Once we get into the subject of intelligence it gets complicated. Perhaps there are many different areas and types of intelligence. I'm not qualified to say much on it. Some people are of above average intelligence - perhaps our Federal MPs. Many are qualified in Law which isn't an easy course. Yet I won't be surprised if half of them are good enough for only up to 2U Maths Advanced.

Last edited:

Alkanes

HSC
OP was referring to the Prelim course i assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)