Why are the so many racists and religion-discriminators on BOS??? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I personally think racism is wrong, but I will happily criticise religion- as it is not something you can't change etc. In the end, it's simply a philosophy, and any decent philosophy needs to be challenged and argued upon.

Also, I think that the higher intelligence on this forum corelates to more ppl who question religion in general, particular its hierachal and black/white nature. If you want to be purely libertarian/non-racist it's hard to do so whilst being a fundamental follower of an Abrahamic religion.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
On this board in particular.
Didn't anyone tell you? The internet was created by right-wing, xenophobic, athiest fascists who maintain their iron grip upon it's hallowed halls.

Zazo

Pharmacist :)
On earth, on a huge island, in the best city, Sydn
HSC
Uni Grad
Wow, reading this thread has just proven that there are such racist, ill-informed, untolerant and most of all RUDE people that call themselves educated.

If ur opinions might hurt other fellow humans KEEP them to urselves !

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Wow, reading this thread has just proven that there are such racist, ill-informed, untolerant and most of all RUDE people that call themselves educated.

If ur opinions might hurt other fellow humans KEEP them to urselves !
Nah, I'd rather push them on people, especially on a Sunday morning around 9'o clock, in a group of 5, knocking on doors and using your kids as bait to win sympathy votes whilst trying to shove your ludicrous agenda down some poor bastards throat.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Good God, you're so naive.

Bulldog4lyf

HSC
Guys what I am saying is that there is a difference between discussing beliefs in an appropriate and mature manner and discussing beliefs in a discriminative manner much like a lot of threads on BOS, especially this board.

And by the way, this thread just shows what a lot of users on BOS are like, I try and start a mature thread and a lot of you act like you usually do. And what makes it worse is, most of the time it is due to ignorance. Wake up people.

tempco

HSC
I find that there are people on here who have spent the time and effort to think through their beliefs and ideals, and I respect them for it. But the majority of anti-religion people tend to be of the kind that blurt out things like: "The majority of people on this board use their brains enough to question religion(s) instead of simply following them." assuming people who follow organised religion have not thought about their choice to follow these religions. I guess it's more mob-mentality then anything, as teenagers and uni students are more likely to be secular/non-religious because the environment is conducive to that belief (e.g. you're only young once, party at uni, and what not).

You're better of talking about beliefs, religion and the like on forums (and even having face-to-face dialogue) with older audiences as they tend to respect the beliefs of others to a greater degree... but you'll always have the intolerant bunch so ignore them. Talking about religion, ideals and beliefs to high school and undergrad uni students usually ends up in blank faces and/or lame jokes to change the subject.

Last edited:

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
I find that there are people on here who have spent the time and effort to think through their beliefs and ideals, and I respect them for it. But the majority of anti-religion people tend to be of the kind that blurt out things like: "The majority of people on this board use their brains enough to question religion(s) instead of simply following them." assuming people who follow organised religion have not thought about their choice to follow these religions. I guess it's more mob-mentality then anything, as teenagers and uni students are more likely to be secular/non-religious because the environment is conducive to that belief (e.g. you're only young once, party at uni, and what not).
yeah sure, as long as you patronise them and completely ignore their reasons for what they (don't) believe

tempco

HSC
yeah sure, as long as you patronise them and completely ignore their reasons for what they (don't) believe
That's a pretty common view of people who are against organised religion. But there are people who patronise others for reasons other than religion as well. So what? It's a human thing. My view is better than yours because of blah blah. You make no sense because you think blah blah.

Have you been patronised by a religious person you know personally? I have - by people who think of themselves as a more "religious" type - but I ignore them because their views aren't in line with what I believe in. But that doesn't give me the right to ridicule their views. You just agree to disagree... which is something I find more prevalent in older folk.

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
If their views are ridiculous by any logical standard of measure, then of course it gives you the right to ridicule said views. Ridicule the ridiculous.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
That's a pretty common view of people who are against organised religion. But there are people who patronise others for reasons other than religion as well. So what? It's a human thing. My view is better than yours because of blah blah. You make no sense because you think blah blah.

Have you been patronised by a religious person you know personally? I have - by people who think of themselves as a more "religious" type - but I ignore them because their views aren't in line with what I believe in. But that doesn't give me the right to ridicule their views. You just agree to disagree... which is something I find more prevalent in older folk.
so you don't think peoples' reasons for what they believe come into the equation at all?

tempco

HSC
If their views are ridiculous by any logical standard of measure, then of course it gives you the right to ridicule said views. Ridicule the ridiculous.
Speak out and criticise their views, but why ridicule? You're just giving bigots a free ride.

so you don't think peoples' reasons for what they believe come into the equation at all?
Of course they do. I'm not sure what you are you driving at though?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Speak out and criticise their views, but why ridicule? You're just giving bigots a free ride.

Of course they do. I'm not sure what you are you driving at though?
Constructive criticism always slowly degrades into ridicule and mockery when the critic is faced with a wall of ignorance and misconception. A man's patience only lasts so long.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Spread the book of "Origin" to all those blessed by creation. It is the will of the Ori.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A

It's fine to have beliefs, after all, without beliefs our perceptional system would not function. Even on the topic of religion, people choose to BELIEVE to not believe. This is simply because a belief acts as our prearranged, organised filter to our perceptions of the world. The best way to define belief is that of congruent internal representations which control our reality. Once you realise however that a 'belief' is simply a state, simply a feeling of certainty regarding something we express through our communication, you can also realise that it is VERY possible to change someone's belief (Bandler and Grinder).

See, you seem to consider (like most do) that your beliefs are a thing. That’s fine, you’re simply objectifying a feeling but you have to consider the fact that beliefs are not meant to represent any kind of logical disposition. As Dilts reminds us "they are...notoriously unresponsive to logic. They are not intended to coincide with reality. Since we don't know what is real, you have to form a belief- a matter of faith". So in essence, they are simply generalisations we had to FORM regarding this world and they allow us to have preprogrammed responses in communicative situations. Since we FORMED them however, there is nothing stopping us or someone else for that matter changing them. Now obviously, on a forum, people who understand this simply love stirring each other, as they often have no emotional investment regarding the argument, yet the other person does. In any communication, the person who is most reactive has the lowest value and I guess the reason anyone 'shit stirs' is for their own validation or it’s simply a narcisstic function of their current state. Ever heard the Fight Club quote- " I felt like destroying something beautiful"?

Anyway, the coolest thing about beliefs is that if you can shape a behaviour into someone's belief system, you can get them to anything or stop doing something, as stepping into someone else's map gives 'instant rapport'. The hardest challenge is, once we have an old belief there is little room for a new one until the previous belief has been considerably weakened. But this CAN be done. That is why, for experimental reasons I would like to see anyone here who holds deep convictions about the nature of their spiritual reality (strong religious beliefs) last 1/2 hour with a trained Ericksonian Hypnotist and still come out feeling 100 % certainty about their own map of reality. If so, then that my friends is fucking faith.

Last edited:

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
its not even fun, its just the right thing to do.

they need to know their place in society.

Athiest>shit>agnostic>puss>vomit>piss>blacks>christians>jews>buddists>muslims>coons>you

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
You spelt atheist wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)