Why can't law be done as the single degree? Why must it be combined? (1 Viewer)

WannaBang?

HSC
I'd love to do Law when I finish my HSC but I cannot find a single Uni that offers a B Law as a sole degree. It's always combined e.g. B Economics B Laws. Anybody care to shed some light on this issue or show me a uni that DOES offer Law as a sole degree.

lovethehsc2

HSC
WannaBang? said:
I'd love to do Law when I finish my HSC but I cannot find a single Uni that offers a B Law as a sole degree. It's always combined e.g. B Economics B Laws. Anybody care to shed some light on this issue or show me a uni that DOES offer Law as a sole degree.
American universities. Good luck.

Also since you do standard english, you'll have to be in the top 20 in the state ie band 6 to make it with usyd's cutoff. Unless you get state rankings for half your other subjects.

Try becon blaws at uws.

WannaBang?

HSC
lovethehsc2 said:
American universities. Good luck.

Also since you do standard english, you'll have to be in the top 20 in the state ie band 6 to make it with usyd's cutoff. Unless you get state rankings for half your other subjects.

Try becon blaws at uws.
I don't want to sound like a concieted fucker, but I think I'm pretty smart even though I am doing Standard. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to reach the bar for USyd so I'm thinking of going to UWS. Do you know if UWS accepts people who did Standard English in school?

spence

HSC
UTS offers straight law. I think the cutoff is 98ish

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
It doesnt matter what level of English you do, the universities suggest you do what you are capable of, it wont stop you provided you get the UAI required.

Universities tend to offer combined law to create well rounded lawyers. Also straight law could be daunting to someone straight out of school.

Last edited:

doink

Clone
HSC
UTS has straight law - 4 years - 97.00 cut-off i believe. Assumed knowledge for law is 2 units of english, which is compulsory in NSW anyway. Combined law is usually better though since its only an extra year and u get another degree and you don't want to be a degree short of the competition :D

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I can't speak for Usyd or UNSW but I know that at ANU you have to start in a combined program but can drop down to a straight LLB whenever you want to. It may be worthwhile ringing up the law schools that you're interested in to confirm whether you can graduate with just a straight LLB.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
Maybe its because many law graduates don't end up becoming lawyers and so they need something else to fall back on?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)