Why do girls wear make-up? (1 Viewer)

Why do girls wear make-up?

• For confidence.

Votes: 63 48.1%
  • Coz dey skanky hoes.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Because they are inspired by images in the media.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other. (Comment)

Votes: 25 19.1%

• Total voters

bawd

HSC
Being a bit Jungian psychoanalytical, but I think it is to create a persona, as well as respond to the pressure society places on the value of looking good, especially if you are a female

HSC
all i wear is tinted moisteriser, sometimes eyeshadow, and lipgloss
if its at night then i may wear mascara aswell

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
i wear mascara daily when i go out of the house coz i have shit asian eyelashes that you cant see =( they're so short and thin, damn it!

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
The title should be changed to why do GUYS wear make-up.

Because I've been seeing men wearing make-up lately, and it's creepy as hell (they're STRAIGHT men btw)

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
because they're really MONSTERS :|

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
foram said:
theres this english teacher at my school who claims to be a feminist, but she wears enough makeup to clearly see where the the makeup beings and her skin ends. It's freaky.
Are you suggesting that feminists should not wear makeup? That is quite essentialist as a comment, and is akin to the reductive assumption that 'all feminists are bra-burners' and whatnot.

Feminism is quite compatible with maintaining aesthetic appearances through makeup.

And to elaborate on bawd's point: make-up is about creating a Yeatsian mask to shield oneself from accusations of neurotic psychosexual development centralised in the feminine (Lacan; Kristeva) :shy:

Really though, does it bother you patrick.swayze that girls wear make-up? As a guy, are you somewhat insecure you ... cannot?

sleepplease

HSC
where do you get this tinted moisturiser that ppl keep mentioning? It sounds perfect for when foundation is just too heavy and gross but you don't want to go out with nothing at all...

thanks x

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
Girls, the cake-face look is not hot! Please, restrict yourselves from wearing excessive ammounts of makeup. Oh God, I'm not looking forward to my formal, what with all the girls looking like they plastered a cake to their face!

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
Bobness said:
Are you suggesting that feminists should not wear makeup? That is quite essentialist as a comment, and is akin to the reductive assumption that 'all feminists are bra-burners' and whatnot.

Feminism is quite compatible with maintaining aesthetic appearances through makeup.
yes, i agree, and i find that assumption rather insulting. i align myself with feminism quite staunchly and i enjoy dressing in elaborate outfits and adorning myself with accessories and painting lots of colours onto my face.

there is not really any relation between the two. make up is more about creative expression which i really do not think has anything to do with feminist ethos.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
IMABOYDAMON! said:
Girls, the cake-face look is not hot! Please, restrict yourselves from wearing excessive ammounts of makeup. Oh God, I'm not looking forward to my formal, what with all the girls looking like they plastered a cake to their face!

What's reeally funny is when all the girls have fake tans, so of course the makeup they bought six weeks ago is no longer the same colour as their skin.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
scarybunny said:
What's reeally funny is when all the girls have fake tans, so of course the makeup they bought six weeks ago is no longer the same colour as their skin.
One reason I'll never fake tan, evar. I had to do it once and I could not wait for it to fade afterwards. Pale ftw.

Also it is so important to match your foundation to your skin tone! I don't understand how people can miss this basic thing. You see people sometimes with a face that doesn't quite match their body in terms of colour and it's so weird and obvious but they don't notice, it seems.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I know eh.

PALE IS WIN. And when I'm 50 I'll have really nice, young skin and all the tanned people will look like handbags.

chelsea girl

everybody knows
HSC
N/A
scarybunny said:
I know eh.

PALE IS WIN. And when I'm 50 I'll have really nice, young skin and all the tanned people will look like handbags.
:uhhuh:

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
the best anti-ageing cream is sunscreen. my mum's 56 and all that's changed about her is her hair and clothes in the time that i've known her. she can also get away with skinny jeans and i can't.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
gouge.away said:
the best anti-ageing cream is sunscreen. my mum's 56 and all that's changed about her is her hair and clothes in the time that i've known her. she can also get away with skinny jeans and i can't.
so she's always been ugly? BOOM.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
One reason I'll never fake tan, evar. I had to do it once and I could not wait for it to fade afterwards. Pale ftw.

Also it is so important to match your foundation to your skin tone! I don't understand how people can miss this basic thing. You see people sometimes with a face that doesn't quite match their body in terms of colour and it's so weird and obvious but they don't notice, it seems.
I know, if it does not match perfectly it looks like they have heaps on, and looks totally un-natural.
either like a ghost or like they have just had a bad tanning job.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
just the same as - why do guys gel/otherwise take care of their hair?

or any other asethtic attention guys give. hair because its the most common one..

:)

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
sleepplease said:
where do you get this tinted moisturiser that ppl keep mentioning? It sounds perfect for when foundation is just too heavy and gross but you don't want to go out with nothing at all...

thanks x
bobbi brown makes a fantastic one, so does stila.

the best way to wear it imho is to set it with a tiny bit of loose powder (otherwise it kind of melts off...)

rach19

HSC
I wear make-up probably everyday because it makes me look better and hides my skin, really that simple. Sure if I had great skin it would be different. Normally its a light foundation, sheer powder, mascara, eyeliner and a little blush but I dont cake it on and blend it. Normally I'll only do it properly if I'm going out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)