Why do people think MIF is bad? (1 Viewer)

FancyPenguin

HSC
why do people think MIF is bad, I use it and I think it's a pretty good book for mathematics, especially if your school isn't selective and the questions are very similar to that of the HSC.

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
why do people think MIF is bad, I use it and I think it's a pretty good book for mathematics, especially if your school isn't selective and the questions are very similar to that of the HSC.
Death by enigma_1? :/

:haha:

The questions are (so I've heard) rather simplistic and quite easy to do; in comparison, the 'mainstream' books, by Fitzpatrick and Pender are much more reflective of the HSC's difficulty.

(But at the end of the day, MIF is the best =P)

Swaan

Stupid Fat Hobbit
HSC
I actually found MIF pretty useful despite all the hate it gets (*cough* enigma). It sets the foundations of what you need to know especially if you haven't already gone ahead and done it at tutor etc. I used it to grasp the basics and then went further into depth with harder questions using textbooks like Fitzpatrick :spin: but idk to each their own

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
This thread was just waiting to be posted :spzz:

trust me it's not.

this one.... :/

Death by enigma_1? :/

:haha:

The questions are (so I've heard) rather simplistic and quite easy to do; in comparison, the 'mainstream' books, by Fitzpatrick and Pender are much more reflective of the HSC's difficulty.

(But at the end of the day, MIF is the best =P)

lol

after hsc I will answer your question properly perhaps in a thread or something. Until then "Do NOT use Maths in focus" because it is a very easy book and will get you nowhere, unless you accompany it with countless past papers. iT sets a bad foundation and that's the main reason to not use it.

I recommend Cambridge for 2/3unit and maybe Fitzpatrick. :)

Last edited:

FancyPenguin

HSC
this one.... :/

lol

after hsc I will answer your question properly perhaps in a thread or something. Until then "Do NOT use Maths in focus" because it is a very easy book and will get you nowhere, unless you accompany it with countless past papers. iT sets a bad foundation and that's the main reason to not use it.

I recommend Cambridge for 2/3unit and maybe Fitzpatrick. :)
this is basically what our teacher does

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
this is basically what our teacher does
That should be ok, but I really think it's better to use a different book because harder questions make you remember and understand stuff better rather than answering 20 questions on 1+1 which is basically what maths in focus does :/

photastic

HSC
That should be ok, but I really think it's better to use a different book because harder questions make you remember and understand stuff better rather than answering 20 questions on 1+1 which is basically what maths in focus does :/
If you look at this year's exam, some questions were MIF style, hence, MIF is a good textbook but definitely everyone needs to realise that every textbook alone will not give you the best marks.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Maybe do it when you're first practising use it for easy questions and then move onto past papers and more harder problems

HSC
This guy knows what he's talking about. Actuarial maths is nothing compared to MIF.
Yeah OP, I haven't decided what I'm going to do at UNI, either Actuarial Studies or Adv Mathematics both of which have some solid maths. And the only way I'm to pass is through MIF.

mirachael

HSC
That's the thing. Selective schools don't use maths in focus, or at least the top classes don't. If you wanna be the best, study like the best. In other words, don't use Maths in Focus.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
This guy knows what he's talking about. Actuarial maths is nothing compared to MIF.
Clearly hasn't opened up maths in focus :/

I guarantee 100% that you haven't :)

And when you do you will realise how much MIF disgraces maths and promotes rote learning with random formula which prevents students from thinking "outside the box" when solving harder questions.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
That's the thing. Selective schools don't use maths in focus, or at least the top classes don't. If you wanna be the best, study like the best. In other words, don't use Maths in Focus.
YESSSS omg you rock!!! The first person to publicly support my views on Maths in focus. :D

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC

And when you do you will realise how much MIF disgraces maths and promotes rote learning with random formula which prevents students from thinking "outside the box" when solving harder questions.
I actually do have it...in fact, I used it exclusively to study harder MX1.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Yeah OP, I haven't decided what I'm going to do at UNI, either Actuarial Studies or Adv Mathematics both of which have some solid maths. And the only way I'm to pass is through MIF.
You're gonna use maths in focus for those courses? :/

gg

HSC

y u always talk shit about my mentor =(

Hahahaha

OP, I'm only joking, do not use MIF. In fact don't use any textbook to do questions. Once you learn a new concept, you go attempt trial paper/ HSC questions. If you can't do them at first, then do some exercises from Fitzpatrick or Cambridge.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
y u always talk shit about my mentor =(

Hahahaha

OP, I'm only joking, do not use MIF. In fact don't use any textbook to do questions. Once you learn a new concept, you go attempt trial paper/ HSC questions. If you can't do them at first, then do some exercises from Fitzpatrick or Cambridge.
YAASS omg OP these people are finally admitting that MIF sucks. They're just snaking half the time saying "I use MIF" when MIF doesn't even have a 4 unit book lol :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)