why do you guys diss arts degrees (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
I don't see why people look down on an arts student. I mean they go through the exact same shit as everyone else... and who says arts subjects are piss easy, bullcrap, you do the same subjects as other people in different degrees except you mix them up. There are no such thing as "arts subjects" that whole stigma needs to die down, they're called languages, social sciences, media, psychology, geography, etc etc and each of these "arts subjects" have their own department. Just because you do an arts degree does not mean you have to do these "arts- subjects". I know arts degree students that do the same subjects as people doing commerce, science degrees.

And people say what kind of skills do you gain from an arts degree. It depends on what the student wants to gain and what subjects they've done.

An arts student gains skills in abit of everything and with today's fast paced environment, what job doesn't need this? To me and a lot of employers this is highly regarded.

All you idiots that think you can wipe your ass with an arts degree need to open your eyes.

S

Shuter

If you learn skills for everything with an arts degree, why can't you get any job with it? (Or even a single job).

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Lexicographer said:
Clairegirl...nobody really cares.
jeez ruuudee!

and yeah the person/s that say an arts degree is useless is a narrow minded idiot.. and you can't be a dumb if your in arts anyway the cut off was 87 last year tsk tsk thats higher than some computer science degrees, engineering courses, e-business IT degrees at macq, uts, syd, unsw and uws

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
lol.....ive never heard ne1 diss the arts degree, i was even gonna do it, its not exactly for the dumb, its cutoff at usyd and unsw is like mid to prababaly high 80s this yr.

S

Shuter

clairegirl said:
and yeah the person/s that say an arts degree is useless is a narrow minded idiot.. and you can't be a dumb if your in arts anyway the cut off was 87 last year
Only an idiot would associate UAI cut-offs with intelligence.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Shuter said:
That's the smartest thing I've ever seen you post.

I'm not even putting aside the fact that it's ridiculously obvious. :p

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Arts students dont generally have problems getting jobs.....

Visual arts students might though.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Shuter said:
If you learn skills for everything with an arts degree, why can't you get any job with it? (Or even a single job).

who says you can't get a job with it? My friend graduated with an arts-degree (Hons) and she got interviews, straight away ... she started off as a junior something??? with a 34k income, she got promoted pretty quickly though, within a year her salary went to 45k

and she's only been working a year

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
yeah i have no intention to work..after university
im going for something to do
social life
further my knowledge
more opportunities

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
natstar said:
as the UAI is a rank, it does not have much correlation with ur own individual intelligence, but ur intelligence relative to the rest of the canidature
I hate to say this nat, but wrong again. It has no relationship at all with intelligence. It is a measure of your PERFORMANCE during the HSC relative to the total candidature (including dropouts :p). This has nothing to do with your intelligence, but whether you choose to play the game and how well you do so.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Girl I know graduated last year with a BA (hons) and started with AusAid straight out of uni on about 35-40K Do well and after first year that bumbs to APS 6 eg 60-65K.

People who dont get jobs are: not qualified for what they want to, idiots, dickheads and/or unsuitable for a job in the field they are qualified in eg squeemish surgeon.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
omg what r u talking about arts is the hardest degrees there are
u spend so much time partying and getting drunk (god that 10 contact horus a week is KILLER, man!) its so hard to pass exams and finish assignments when u are always drunk and too hungover to go to lectures

arts is the by far the most difficult.

S

Shuter

Your intelligence doesn't directly correlate to how well you'll do in the subjects.

But anyway, seems like the onnly Arts students getting jobs are the ones with Honours...

slinky

A Very Important Member
HSC
N/A
Shuter said:
yeah, tats why we hav heaps of idiots getting 90s.

S

Shuter

shannonm said:
omg what r u talking about arts is the hardest degrees there are
u spend so much time partying and getting drunk (god that 10 contact horus a week is KILLER, man!) its so hard to pass exams and finish assignments when u are always drunk and too hungover to go to lectures

arts is the by far the most difficult.
Let's not forget how hard it is to sit through a 2 hour lecture when you've got the munchies!

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Lexicographer said:
I hate to say this nat, but wrong again. It has no relationship at all with intelligence. It is a measure of your PERFORMANCE during the HSC relative to the total candidature (including dropouts :p). This has nothing to do with your intelligence, but whether you choose to play the game and how well you do so.

lol maybe so... but you do need to be hardworking and remotely intelligent to get a uai around the mid to high 80's

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
natstar said:
These days a lot of jobs you would thought of needing a uni degree for, you dont need one for, you can work ur way up. I dont think you even need a law degree to do law (dont ask me why, but i read it in a thread ages ago)
You can do a DipLaws at TAFE and take an intern position, after your PLT you can register with the Supreme Court as a solicitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)