why do you guys diss arts degrees (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmay

HSC
you gotta admit though that there would be a larger proportion of people going to uni just for the sake of going to uni would be doing an Arts degree as opposed to Engineering or Science

MasterP

Come to Daddy
HSC
Yeah, so a lot of lazy bastards do arts. Still, if you find the subject interesting and are willing to put the effort in, then you shouldn't have to be tagged with the stigma.

The elite pesons in their respective fields all have a passion for what they do. You gotta accept that not everyone will find that passion going into something like commerce or business, or even the sciences. If arts is your cup o' tea then do it. Some people need a career that's more than just a fucking paycheck.

Conspirocy

HSC
clairegirl said:
damn right! soo glad im not doing anymore "arts" subjects anymore

im just doing psychology and business+statistic type subjects now! yay :D
if "arts" is so good how come you stopped?????

doe

HSC
N/A
there are plenty of bludgers in science degrees too. from what ive seen i would say about 80% of people in my course only put in minimal effort.

the skills you learn in a "soft" arts degree (say literature or philosophy) are valubale life skills. by spending a serious amount of time examining the world as expressed by artists you can gain a well defined belief system that will stay with you for the rest of your life. by critical examination (essyas etc) you gain the ability to put forward a coherent and convincing argument. the world needs more people with these qualities.

i see a lot of people on this board who are academically very smart but ultimately come across as idiots. do you know what you want from your life? more importantly, do you know why you want it? im sure your parents have expectations that they have conveyed to you and society has presented an ideal of what you should do, but have you actaully thought about what you want? university is very much a last chance at enjoying life, after you leave you will be weighed down with real world responsibilites. go to uni and work hard, but dont forget to live a bit. arts degrees have a lot of value, even if they dont come with a set in stone career path.

HSC
clairegirl said:
I don't see why people look down on an arts student. I mean they go through the exact same shit as everyone else... and who says arts subjects are piss easy, bullcrap, you do the same subjects as other people in different degrees except you mix them up. There are no such thing as "arts subjects" that whole stigma needs to die down, they're called languages, social sciences, media, psychology, geography, etc etc and each of these "arts subjects" have their own department. Just because you do an arts degree does not mean you have to do these "arts- subjects". I know arts degree students that do the same subjects as people doing commerce, science degrees.

And people say what kind of skills do you gain from an arts degree. It depends on what the student wants to gain and what subjects they've done.

An arts student gains skills in abit of everything and with today's fast paced environment, what job doesn't need this? To me and a lot of employers this is highly regarded.

All you idiots that think you can wipe your ass with an arts degree need to open your eyes.
we call those people children, and mostly beat them up

jellybeenz

HSC
Whats wrong with being lazy and going to Uni for the sake of it...?? lol... I got no idea what else to do, so I'm doing an Arts degree... I don't know why this is apparently the worst thing in the world. I'll figure it out someday, but for today I'm going to Uni to study some interests and for the experience.

You can diss the degree all you like, but I just don't see why anyone would. Different strokes for different folks...

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
Hey Asquithian, very very well written. you sound like you could be an excellent debater! you argued your point very fairly and i think that it was very convincing! i imagine you to be a very enticing conversatinalist! You got a charm there! =) hehehe.. but i just don't understand this one sentence:

"They exist in a microcosm that has no context."

and you know that list you put of the subjects you can do in an Arts degree...isn't that... everything that uni's can offer anyway?
you covered the languages, philosophy, social sciences, science... basicly the world. EVERYTHING! therefore ARTS = everything! haha.. well almost..

An Arts degree would also be very useful as a ticket to discover what interests you have, to stretch your mind as well as perhaps, to transfer (by NOT BLUDGING!)... and the great thing is, its so flexible that you can actually enjoy it!

**the silly dodo's can keep on dissing the arts degree.... i'll grade you distinction for your ignorance and lack of perception as well as your silly assumptions! But no high distinction yet until you can convince me that an Arts degree truly sux. ner!**

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
everyone knows art degrees are not real subjects. hahaa just trying to piss you off. i have notihng against art degrees. but i do hate those degrees where u do those art things.

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
Why is this thread still going?
I think the main reason we (science) students are peed off is that they only have about 10 contact hours a week. We're all just jealous that they don't have to make the journey to uni everyday :(

timrie6

HSC
N/A
I'm glad I'm doing an arts degree, as I won't be associating with wankers who look down on people. I have found that every single person who has ever dissed an arts degree has never actually done one themselves.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
timrie6 said:
I'm glad I'm doing an arts degree, as I won't be associating with wankers who look down on people. I have found that every single person who has ever dissed an arts degree has never actually done one themselves.

yea.. they're not cultured enough! and dont even dare to be! =p but u know some people who are enrolled in arts degrees... u can see the word "dropout" on written on their forehead... coz they just wanna go uni.... and of course that applies to many other STUDENTS (from every faculty and uni and institution).

so everyone who did diss arts degrees... are trying to find reasons to diss it now? in terms of contact hours? oh u are so truly pathetic! Shame shame shaMEE!!!! *woohoo Asquithian sure knows how to intimidate people!* hahaha! So boys and girls, should we all go learn how to write a properly structured essay now? Let's all take some GenEd classes for English =)

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
"They exist in a microcosm that has no context."

yes yes indeed u have a charm, and i did notice it... only coz i'm anal retentive... oh i'm anal by nature! =p
yea but Asquithian.. i still don't know what that

"They exist in a microcosm that has no context." means..

do u?

dy357lx

arts degree means absolutely nothing, employers don't really care that people have an arts degree.

and hey, I'm doing an arts degree this year, B Arts/ B Teaching Secondary Humanities.

the thing with an arts degree is that it can lead to other degrees or be used in conjunction with other degrees to the point where it is actually significant.

HSC
well i might be doing B Social Science, which issort of an Arts degree....it can lead to phsycology, criminal rehabilitator (wateva it's called) etc, so it's not bad at all. The people that just diss Art's degrees are extremely immature, narrow-minded and self-centred

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Arts degrees are fine, it's just that some of the people that do them are hilarious.

Last edited:

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
brain dead when it comes to art

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)