• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why Does Your School Rank Matter (1 Viewer)

wendus

krawr.
HSC
your school ranks DO matter. if you're at the bottom you might be pulled down when the assessment marks are moderated.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
wendus said:
your school ranks DO matter. if you're at the bottom you might be pulled down when the assessment marks are moderated.
I think me121 meant school's rank not the ranks at school.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
oh oh oh oops.
do your school's rank matter?

me121

Premium Member
HSC
runnable said:
So does that mean 1st by a large margin is beneficial for the 1st ranked? Or does it mean being NOT 1st by a large margin is disastrous for those not ranked 1st?
If you are 1st for internals, then by how much, won't affect you. But it may affect the rest of your cohort.

Although I try not to always talk about 1st because most people won't be first, though as you know it does have some interesting side effects.

lyounamu said:
I think me121 meant school's rank not the ranks at school.
yes, thats what i meant.

runnable

HSC
me121 said:
If you are 1st for internals, then by how much, won't affect you. But it may affect the rest of your cohort.

Although I try not to always talk about 1st because most people won't be first, though as you know it does have some interesting side effects.
Lol "interesting" for the 1st. Not so much for the rest of the cohort.

timmiejay

HSC
to vanshetec. Listen matey, i'll try explain to you to in the easiest possible way. In first, your school rank DEFINITELY matters, dont listen to those idiots who say 'just do well in the HSC(external)' because if you dont do well in your internal (school assessments), it's going to drag your overall mark down.
Because there's so much discrepancies between all the schools around NSW, the 'internal' mark cannot be given to you as a raw mark. Why? For eg. Let's say James ruse sets hard exams all year round and the guy who tops the year gets a final mark of 80/100. Another derro country-school make very easy exams all year round and the guy who tops the year gets a final mark of 80/100. Does that mean they are both equal? Of course not. Thus, they use the HSC to determine the final mark from your ranks. I'll give you a scenario to explain to you.

Random High School
INTERNAL RANK -----------------------------HSC EXAM (EXTERNAL RANK AND MARK)
1. John 79 ------------------------------------ 1. Jack 96
2. Jack 78 --------------------------------------2. Jill 93
3. Jill 76 ----------------------------------------3. John 90

Take the above scenario for example. the internal marks show about they are all about high 70s. However, in the external we see they all got band 6 marks. Which means that their internal exams were very hard and their estimates were much lower. Let's take JACK for example from random high school. As you know HSC final mark is 50% external and 50% internal. He came 2nd in the internal rankings and he came 1st in the external. The mark he gets in the HSC EXAM of 96, he will keep because that's his mark. How about the other half of his marks? Since he came 2nd in the internals, his other 50% (internal) will be Jill's HSC mark of 93 (since Jill came 2nd). Therefore, 96+93 / 2 = 94.5 which will round up to 95. That's how your final mark is determined.
So in the end, it's crucial that your internal rank is VERY high because your internal 50% will be determined by another school student.
People say going to a selective school or private school 'scales you up'. There's no such a thing as scales you up. The subject 'scaling' is determined by the whole state and how YOU did relative to the whole state in the respective subject. However, going to a smarter school like James ruse is helpful because the competition is always CRAZY so all the marks will be bunched up together. So at James ruse, coming 1st or 20th may only have a mark difference of 2 as opposed to some other random school whose mark difference might be 10 between 1st and 20th. That's the only good thing about going to a selective school, having closer marks together will boost up your 50% internal mark. That's the reason why you trade notes and essays after your trial exams so your whole cohort can do WELL together to boost all the marks up in the HSC. This idea is always taken to be 'going to a better school scales you up' which is ultimate BS. Biggest myth.
So conclusion? Just do well in every exam which will mean your rank will be higher, which will lead to a higher internal 50%.^^;

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I think we have a clear confusion between rank IN school, and rank OF school.

Classic Rudiger

Such if Life.
HSC
why not just try and ignore talk of scaling and just do your best and have a red hot dip at the exams.
and get your classmates to do their best as well.

vanshetec

HSC
N/A
timmiejay said:
to vanshetec. Listen matey, i'll try explain to you to in the easiest possible way. In first, your school rank DEFINITELY matters, dont listen to those idiots who say 'just do well in the HSC(external)' because if you dont do well in your internal (school assessments), it's going to drag your overall mark down.
Because there's so much discrepancies between all the schools around NSW, the 'internal' mark cannot be given to you as a raw mark. Why? For eg. Let's say James ruse sets hard exams all year round and the guy who tops the year gets a final mark of 80/100. Another derro country-school make very easy exams all year round and the guy who tops the year gets a final mark of 80/100. Does that mean they are both equal? Of course not. Thus, they use the HSC to determine the final mark from your ranks. I'll give you a scenario to explain to you.

Random High School
INTERNAL RANK -----------------------------HSC EXAM (EXTERNAL RANK AND MARK)
1. John 79 ------------------------------------ 1. Jack 96
2. Jack 78 --------------------------------------2. Jill 93
3. Jill 76 ----------------------------------------3. John 90

Take the above scenario for example. the internal marks show about they are all about high 70s. However, in the external we see they all got band 6 marks. Which means that their internal exams were very hard and their estimates were much lower. Let's take JACK for example from random high school. As you know HSC final mark is 50% external and 50% internal. He came 2nd in the internal rankings and he came 1st in the external. The mark he gets in the HSC EXAM of 96, he will keep because that's his mark. How about the other half of his marks? Since he came 2nd in the internals, his other 50% (internal) will be Jill's HSC mark of 93 (since Jill came 2nd). Therefore, 96+93 / 2 = 94.5 which will round up to 95. That's how your final mark is determined.
So in the end, it's crucial that your internal rank is VERY high because your internal 50% will be determined by another school student.
People say going to a selective school or private school 'scales you up'. There's no such a thing as scales you up. The subject 'scaling' is determined by the whole state and how YOU did relative to the whole state in the respective subject. However, going to a smarter school like James ruse is helpful because the competition is always CRAZY so all the marks will be bunched up together. So at James ruse, coming 1st or 20th may only have a mark difference of 2 as opposed to some other random school whose mark difference might be 10 between 1st and 20th. That's the only good thing about going to a selective school, having closer marks together will boost up your 50% internal mark. That's the reason why you trade notes and essays after your trial exams so your whole cohort can do WELL together to boost all the marks up in the HSC. This idea is always taken to be 'going to a better school scales you up' which is ultimate BS. Biggest myth.
So conclusion? Just do well in every exam which will mean your rank will be higher, which will lead to a higher internal 50%.^^;

THANKS THIS IS REALLY HELPFUL!

me121

Premium Member
HSC
tommykins said:
I think we have a clear confusion between rank IN school, and rank OF school.
Yes, and the title is ambiguous to this respect and can be interpreted either way, so could the original poster please clarify what you meant?

vanshetec

HSC
N/A
me121 said:
Yes, and the title is ambiguous to this respect and can be interpreted either way, so could the original poster please clarify what you meant?

I tried to change the main fourm title but it wouldn't change. Also firstly i meant the school rank as in throughout the state. But now this forum relates to internal and external ranks.

timmiejay

HSC
ohh hahha? Rank OF school lol.
Well like I said before, a higher ranked school obviously means there was more ocmpetition and a LOT of people got higher marks. That means going to a higher ranked school will be much more beneficial because your internal mark will be quite higher than some other low school.
So it wont affect you directly, but i guess going to a better school will help boost your internal mark.

vanshetec

HSC
N/A
timmiejay said:
ohh hahha? Rank OF school lol.
Well like I said before, a higher ranked school obviously means there was more ocmpetition and a LOT of people got higher marks. That means going to a higher ranked school will be much more beneficial because your internal mark will be quite higher than some other low school.
So it wont affect you directly, but i guess going to a better school will help boost your internal mark.

Is the rank of the school with 98 a good figure? I mean like i n relation to the other hundreds.

timmiejay

HSC
vanshetec said:
Is the rank of the school with 98 a good figure? I mean like i n relation to the other hundreds.
if your school is ranked 98, i guess its fair decent considering theres hundreds of other schools. However, any school you go to (well most) will have really gun students at the top of the ranks. So at any school, being at the top will guarantee good marks. But buddy, dont worry about the rank of the SCHOOL, concentrate on your OWN ranks. Having better ranks at your own school = higher marks = higher ranked school.

ikDG

HSC
timmiejay said:
That's the only good thing about going to a selective school, having closer marks together will boost up your 50% internal mark.
i still dnt get it :cold: howww?

anddd

everybodys saying that ranks are important sooo if u come 1st in ur internal exams does that mean ur set to get in the 90s in ur hsc from the other person therefore u dnt really need to try hard for the external cozz ur gna get someone else's mark anyway???????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)