Why don't I quit now... (1 Viewer)

skruga89

HSC
According to SAM, unless I do AMAZINGLY in every one of my subjects, I won't get over UAI 90.. and amazingly doesn't include 80s..

Some of my friend from the year up got mostly 80s yet they got a UAI over 90. What's the deal with that?

(nb: many of those weren't doing high scaling subs)

P

pLuvia

What's your meaning of "AMAZINGLY"?

You don't have to do high scaling subjects to receive a great UAI. Scaling has got nothing to do with it

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
did you put in your recent assessment marks? What is this, term 2?

It's still very early days. Your current assessment marks will not determine an accurate interpretation of your final UAI mark.

I suggest you read

http://community.boredofstudies.org...ment-modellera/87220/what-uai-prediction.html

The following applies to SAM, JUAIseek and similar programs.

There appears to have been some confusion to what these supposed UAI "predictors" or "modeler" do. This thread will hopefully once and for all clear up any misconceptions.

Firstly, no one can predict the future with 100% certainty no matter how much information is given. So take whatever values you extract from these programs with a grain of salt.

Secondly, these programs don't actually predict your UAI directly. They just convert aligned HSC marks to a scaled HSC mark then to a UAI. They exist to aid you in gaining a greater understanding of your UAI, what range it may fall into and the whole system in general. So, if the UAI you "predict" isn't what you expect or you have qualms about it. You should read more about the determination of aligned marks and the scaling process, rather than blame the program for being inaccurate. Since the program uses nothing but freely
available objective data.

Finally, to get the most out of these programs you need to spend time. Just entering your trial marks into them wont really help you. You need to have in your mind a good idea of what kind of aligned marks you are likely to achieve. There has been a lengthy discussion on this in this forum.

Some quick pointers on judging aligned marks.
- Compare your current work with the standards packages www.boredofstudies.org/mirror

- Look at the abilities of the people around you and judge where you fall in the state.
- * The UAI predictors usually have some kind of % you can compare to.

- Look at the results of past students, judge their ability and see their aligned marks
- * although aligned marks are comparable between years, they are approximately similar.

Data available at www.uac.edu.au

I would just like to further emphasize the fact that you cannot simply just put in trial marks you get from school into these programs. I've talked with many students who feel insecure about their HSC performance because they think they are doing well, and in fact are doing well, but the UAI 'estimator' gave them second thoughts because they used it wrongly and just entered trial marks in. Please take account of that. - Ragerunner

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
skruga89 said:
According to SAM, unless I do AMAZINGLY in every one of my subjects, I won't get over UAI 90.. and amazingly doesn't include 80s..

Some of my friend from the year up got mostly 80s yet they got a UAI over 90. What's the deal with that?

If you keep thinking like "omg im not gonna get a good uai because of this and this reason, blah blah blah" it's going to embed itself into your head and hence you will enter into a stage where you will just practically give up, whenever times get tough. Just do your work and try not to worry about all this scaling crap or other factors that might affect you in someway.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Adv. Eng, Economics, Business Studies, Modern History, General Maths are your subjects as i've gathered from your profile.
Don't quit now as you may just surprise yourself, keep working hard okay, SAM isn't meant to be used till a little later in the year...when we've actually done more than 1-2 assessements.
Think positively and try not to concentrate too much on your UAI alrighty?

"Some of my friend from the year up got mostly 80s yet they got a UAI over 90. What's the deal with that?" (nb: many of those weren't doing high scaling subs)

Any extensions at all?
Even one extension can pull you up considerably.
Advanced Maths instead of General also.

PS: What do you need the UAI90+ to get into? Or is it a parent thing? etc?

lala2

Banned
HSC
As ur_inner_child put it, it's too early to input any sort of marks. Your raw marks are very rarely, if ever, equivalent to your FINAL HSC marks. I was getting 70's as raw marks but because of aligning, scaling, and all that jazz I ended with a UAI of close to 97. For the record, my final HSC marks ranged from 80 to 94, which is nowhere near the 70% average I was getting in all my raw marks.

If you don't happen to go to a reasonably good school as I did, pull off a great rank (ideally, first) which will render you relatively immune to any aligning that might happen, then ace the externals, because these are the basis for aligning your school marks and hence your HSC marks. For now, though, as everyone else said, just do your best and don't worry too much.

passion89

HSC
It's too early to be stressing about what kind of UAI you'd get. Work on raising both your grades and ranks by studying effectively and knowing your stuff. Don't rip your hair out over this, it wont help you at all. Just remember that you can always improve and it isn't too late to do so.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
defeat is only a temporary condition, giving up makes it permanent.

do YOU want to quit?
I myself have little respect for those who are quitters. Quitting starts to become a way of life for them, so they constantly are quitting.
do YOU want to continually quitting?

it's not our decision, but yours alone. no-one can make that decision for you.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
skruga89 said:

If it's not the subject's scaling, then it is likely to be your school's ranking. Your friend's school is probably higher ranked, but you shouldn't be worrying about comparing your marks to you friend's, just concentrate on doing your best in all your assessments/exams and putting all your effort into the work.

katox

HSC
hah steph stop pretending youre stressing "bring on the booze" as someone i know constantly refers to..
but all those replies made me feel better about what im doing, thanks guys!!

p.s wghs will blow you out of the water and dont pretend it wont hurt jokes steph told me to say it

skruga89

HSC
katox said:
hah steph stop pretending youre stressing "bring on the booze" as someone i know constantly refers to..
but all those replies made me feel better about what im doing, thanks guys!!

p.s wghs will blow you out of the water and dont pretend it wont hurt jokes steph told me to say it
i told you to do nothing lol

Versace...

HSC
Thats happening with me to...i put 80 in every subject and 70 for modern and im only getting a uai of 82.something...i have to at least get 3 subjects with 90 or over the get 90 or over for my UAI

But i think instead of puttin me down and makin me quit it makes me work harder and focus more on wat i want to achieve!!!
I think to do well and achieve an excellent UAI you need to have determination and self-belief.....never give up!!!

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
politik said:
Well, that is the best way to attempt it. After the stress I went through for the HSC last year, I can assure you that it is quite easy to achieve. All it requires is finding a niche in the subjects you study. Enjoy the HSC, don't view it as just a big hurdle.
thats actually really sweet advice politik!

i mean i typed in my half yearly results and sam said uai of 77...and i freaked out...
but after reading this im ok...i need 85+...i want that so badly!

i mean... i came first in the chem half yearly and assessment (i was coming last in yr11!)... and my rank has shot up 10 in physics! so even if i don't get it ... i know i'm trying really hard...and will continue to do so!

i've never heard anyone say "enjoy" the hsc... but that is so true! enjoy it! i love my subjects (except english</3)...so yeah...ENJOY!!!

bscared

HSC
I have same dilemma. I entered my marks and got a score of 30 something. Is somebody who does so crappily meant to be in year 12?

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
bscared said:
I have same dilemma. I entered my marks and got a score of 30 something. Is somebody who does so crappily meant to be in year 12?
saying something like that is just going to ruin any chance of you being motivated and working harder to achieve more. there is nothing that can stop you from doing fabulously in the HSC except for your urself.... think about it, its true... this goes for everyone really throughout life.

don't worry what SAM predicted, its not meant to give accurate predictions based on Half yearly school marks. its there for the scaled HSC Marks that you receive before the revealing of your UAI. so your raw half yearly marks will of course not give you any sort of accurate reading.

Just work hard. The motivation thread you started bscared a while ago has some excellent points to keeping motivated and working hard. All the best :)

Xayide

HSC
bscared said:
What ever you do DO NOT fall into that way of thinking. you have the determination and willingness to be here, think of it as having no way to go but up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)