Why is everyone so worried about the band 6 cut-off raw marks? (1 Viewer)

HumanXJT

HSC
Isn't the Atar only calculated acording to the raw marks so the aligned marks doesn't affect what atar you get?

So why are people caring so much about getting a band 6?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I want an all-rounder award.
I care more about band 6s than my overall ATAR, because I know my ATAR will be good enough regardless.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Well everyone has an ATAR aim and courses they would like to get in to, and ATAR calculators use hsc marks (i.e. they have been aligned). If you want to know how you are going and if it looks like you are on track to your atar aim it really helps to have cutoffs available.

lockedbox

HSC
So why are people caring so much about getting a band 6?
Its about satisfaction. If you get a band six you feel vindicated no matter what your overall atar is, I know I will be if I get one (If things keep on going the way they are I might even get three! :party: ) and while your atar is very important, employers seem to be much more impressed if they see a band six or three on your resume than they are if they see band fives and an atar of 89, or at least thats what my careers mentor tells me.

Mjontrix

Premium Member
HSC
TBH they shouldn't.

Employers don't really check your ATAR/UAI, it's your university results they look at more as it shows how well you can handle being independent. For instance just look @ how many people drop out of uni even though they got 90+ ATAR; yet many who got lower stick it out to the end of the course and actually attain a Bachelors. (this of course could be due to the numerical differences in comparison to averages but...)

However coming in the first of the state in anything will makes you look more unique.

Source: Family who's company in-house checks potential employees, and my family member is the interviewer.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I want an all-rounder award.
I care more about band 6s than my overall ATAR, because I know my ATAR will be good enough regardless.
Fucked up extension two. Can't get an all-rounder. I'm devastated. :cry:

SXCBEAST

HSC
for me, its like something to prove to myself, that I can do it and worked hard for it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)